proper etiquette around dogs! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
proper etiquette around dogs!

why don't parents teach children not to just run up on dogs?.dogs are animals and when they are scared they will sometimes snap. And if a dog starts backing away dont freaking follow it! I walked my boxer in the park and kids were surrounding him and he started to freak out. He i a great pup but man parents teach your kids better.. rant over

__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
armygreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 370
i instead got a pet porcupine, and i apply poison to his pointy tips.
then i encourage children to play with him.

eventually the park i visit has no more patrons and me and my pet porcupine now have peace and quiet.




alternate solution, let your dog play with my porcupine first, then take him to the park. he'll kinda look like a porcupine, sort of. kids probably won't wanna pet him.

armygreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Holy crap thats funny
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,018
Trade the Boxer in for a Honey Badger. Parents won't let their kids run up on a Honey Badger.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc View Post
Trade the Boxer in for a Honey Badger. Parents won't let their kids run up on a Honey Badger.
i cant get rid of my boy but i could add a honey badger to the mix Because a HONEY BADGER DONT GIVE A SH#T
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,298
I'm always amazed when people bring kids around my 5 pound chihuahuas and their first reaction is to pick up the dog and throw it.. or kick it. WTF is wrong with kids these days!?
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisbaldwin View Post
I'm always amazed when people bring kids around my 5 pound chihuahuas and their first reaction is to pick up the dog and throw it.. or kick it. WTF is wrong with kids these days!?
Its not the kids fault.. Its the retard crackheads having babies like there free
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Ugly Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PecosRiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose, New Mexico
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisbaldwin View Post
I'm always amazed when people bring kids around my 5 pound chihuahuas and their first reaction is to pick up the dog and throw it.. or kick it. WTF is wrong with kids these days!?
I have that same reaction about my daughter's chihuahuas. Damn things howl with a pitch that can break glass and it takes nothing more than my granddaughter singing or a car horn to make them do it.

My German Shepard loves kids. When he's on leash he is incredibly dog aggressive, so when there's other dogs in the area, he's straining at the leash and growling and snapping. Parents automatically keep the kids away from Whiskey. If the kids come up to him anyway, he loves them to death. They can run up to him, sneak up behind him, climb on him, pull his ears and tail, he's a kid lover.
PecosRiver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosRiver View Post
I have that same reaction about my daughter's chihuahuas. Damn things howl with a pitch that can break glass and it takes nothing more than my granddaughter singing or a car horn to make them do it.

My German Shepard loves kids. When he's on leash he is incredibly dog aggressive, so when there's other dogs in the area, he's straining at the leash and growling and snapping. Parents automatically keep the kids away from Whiskey. If the kids come up to him anyway, he loves them to death. They can run up to him, sneak up behind him, climb on him, pull his ears and tail, he's a kid lover.
My German Shepherd is the exact same way. Loves people, aggressive towards other dogs, especially when on the leash...
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
FreezerJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 642
Or when walking and people don't pull their dog in beside them! Get some damn control! My one dog might want to eat your Pomeranians face!

Scarlett is leash aggressive to other dogs. She's a rotti/basset hound cross. Any person comes up, she is on her back wanting a belly rub quicker than you could imagine. Usually you hear a thud.

Boss, who is 5 month old Newfoundlander (about 75lbs already....) just wants to play with anyone or anything. Probably even a porcupine.

People should have to take a test before they have kids or get to own a dog.

Bryce
__________________
2012 JKU Arctic Edition
2011 Subaru Imprezza
FreezerJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezerJeep View Post
Or when walking and people don't pull their dog in beside them! Get some damn control! My one dog might want to eat your Pomeranians face!

Scarlett is leash aggressive to other dogs. She's a rotti/basset hound cross. Any person comes up, she is on her back wanting a belly rub quicker than you could imagine. Usually you hear a thud.

Boss, who is 5 month old Newfoundlander (about 75lbs already....) just wants to play with anyone or anything. Probably even a porcupine.

People should have to take a test before they have kids or get to own a dog.

Bryce
you sir are correct.
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
RatherBNarizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 12,283
Both of my previous dogs were aggressive around strangers, but always loving with kids (even other kids who just ran up). I think it was a protection habit, and having grown up around some kids and knowing to be gentle with them (both GSD's).
RatherBNarizona is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNarizona View Post
Both of my previous dogs were aggressive around strangers, but always loving with kids (even other kids who just ran up). I think it was a protection habit, and having grown up around some kids and knowing to be gentle with them (both GSD's).

See my boxer is wonderful around my kids. I think he is just very protective. He doesnt like to be cornered at all. but if they come up one at a time he is cool. been taking him to the park alot more. He looks badass though.
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
This is him about 6 months old he is a year old now solid muscle..



Attachment 108779
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 View Post
See my boxer is wonderful around my kids.

They are known as "Nanny Dogs"

That's your bit of useless info for the day
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,657
I have had dogs my whole life......I used to have Akitas. They would guard the kids when they were in the yard and eat anyone that came close except family of course. But I always teach my kids to ask if you want to pet someone's dog. I always tell them to assume that the dog will bite unless the owner tells you its ok to pet them. Kids (my 4 year old son) faces are right at the same level as most dogs so the face is what gets bit first! Parents gott teach their kids good dog manners!
__________________
JR
Jamezr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12

WF Supporting Member
 
GREEN-MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MASSACHUSETTS
Posts: 10,249
i live in a neighbor hood of stupid kids,, im mean dumber than a tree stump.. harley is on a 60 foot run with a 50 foot lead ,,, every day the dumb kids walk by and bark at him and wind him up,, soooooo one day i increased the lead to 75 feet, and he made it right to the fence,,,, yup on kid wet himself and i got a visit from the police, cop laughed.
dont get me wrong harley is never let alone outside for more than 15 minutes alone, but a dog needs his time alone.
__________________

life is too short to be taken seriously all the time,,,, go buy a MR.potato head and have some fun.
GREEN-MACHINE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
FreezerJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE
i live in a neighbor hood of stupid kids,, im mean dumber than a tree stump.. harley is on a 60 foot run with a 50 foot lead ,,, every day the dumb kids walk by and bark at him and wind him up,, soooooo one day i increased the lead to 75 feet, and he made it right to the fence,,,, yup on kid wet himself and i got a visit from the police, cop laughed.
dont get me wrong harley is never let alone outside for more than 15 minutes alone, but a dog needs his time alone.
Haha. That's hilarious.
__________________
2012 JKU Arctic Edition
2011 Subaru Imprezza
FreezerJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
LaTuFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,043
Like anything else in life, it falls on both parties.

Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids to ask for permission to approach a dog.

Dog owners have a responsibility to maintain a boundary for their dog.

When we're out in public with our dogs (on a leash) we do not allow anyone to approach them without permission. If a kid rushes up to the "cute puppy" we stop them quickly before they are too close. Once they've stopped, we will allow them to approach quietly and respectfully. We educate them on how to pet the dogs (not roughly, don't put your face down near their face, no sudden movements, etc.)

The way I look at it, if a parent doesn't feel obligated to teach their kids boundaries, I don't feel obligated to be nice to the kid when we're educating them on how to respect the dog. (We're always nice to the kids anyway, but the thought does cross my mind at times)
__________________
You kids are probably saying to yourself, "Now, I'm gonna go out, and I'm gonna get the world by the tail, and wrap it around and put it in my pocket!!" Well, I'm here to tell you that you're probably gonna find out, as you go out there, that you're not gonna amount to Jack Squat!!" You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river!
LaTuFu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
jefferyfghezzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SANDUSKY OHIO
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by armygreen View Post
i instead got a pet porcupine, and i apply poison to his pointy tips.
Then i encourage children to play with him.

Eventually the park i visit has no more patrons and me and my pet porcupine now have peace and quiet.




alternate solution, let your dog play with my porcupine first, then take him to the park. He'll kinda look like a porcupine, sort of. Kids probably won't wanna pet him.
priceless
jefferyfghezzi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
klkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 2,976
I feel the same way about mutual responsibility. I have always taught mine not to run up on dogs, always ask, and even then just to extend a palm-up hand so the dog may smell first, and choose to move forward with being pet. Just because the owner says they are friendly doesn't always mean he wants you to touch him. I feel a leashed animal needs to be approached on his own terms. He can only go so far to get away. I also teach the boys not to approach working dogs, particularly those being trained, unless they are invited to do so.

Honestly, and just my own fear, I'm never going to approach a German Shepard. I don't care how friendly you tell me he is, we aren't meeting eyes, he's not sniffing my hand, we're just going our separate ways. My brother trains narcotic/explosive/personal protection dogs, so... I'm just not going near that. They say dogs/ animals detect fear so who am I to test it? Let's just call it a day.
klkb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
-JC-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wenatchee WA
Posts: 319
Parents don't teach them how to behave around dogs because they don't teach them how to behave around just about anything. Watch the kids in the store, in school and in church. Many are embarassingly out of control. My daughter tends to not bring the grandkids around because she is afraid i will correct them like I did she and her brother (her words).
__________________
'12 JKR
Metalcloak Duroflex 3.5"
OME shocks
35X12.5X17 BFG KM2 on Blackrock Vipers
Hardrock Front and rear full width bumper w tire carrier
M8000s winch
-JC- is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC-
Parents don't teach them how to behave around dogs because they don't teach them how to behave around just about anything. Watch the kids in the store, in school and in church. Many are embarassingly out of control. My daughter tends to not bring the grandkids around because she is afraid i will correct them like I did she and her brother (her words).
Manners is my kids best trait.. Thats crazy
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
klkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC-
Parents don't teach them how to behave around dogs because they don't teach them how to behave around just about anything. Watch the kids in the store, in school and in church. Many are embarassingly out of control. My daughter tends to not bring the grandkids around because she is afraid i will correct them like I did she and her brother (her words).
They need to be corrected, and it's hard if you disagree in parenting styles. The same end result is wanted, but the path getting there is different. My friends and I have the same goals and methods of discipline, and none of us think twice about correcting each other's kids, and they all accept the discipline from each mom. They'd probably have to take a blood oath not to tell if they got in trouble. One mom knows, we all do!
klkb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by klkb View Post
I feel the same way about mutual responsibility. I have always taught mine not to run up on dogs, always ask, and even then just to extend a palm-up hand so the dog may smell first, and choose to move forward with being pet. Just because the owner says they are friendly doesn't always mean he wants you to touch him. I feel a leashed animal needs to be approached on his own terms. He can only go so far to get away. I also teach the boys not to approach working dogs, particularly those being trained, unless they are invited to do so.

Honestly, and just my own fear, I'm never going to approach a German Shepard. I don't care how friendly you tell me he is, we aren't meeting eyes, he's not sniffing my hand, we're just going our separate ways. My brother trains narcotic/explosive/personal protection dogs, so... I'm just not going near that. They say dogs/ animals detect fear so who am I to test it? Let's just call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klkb View Post
They need to be corrected, and it's hard if you disagree in parenting styles. The same end result is wanted, but the path getting there is different. My friends and I have the same goals and methods of discipline, and none of us think twice about correcting each other's kids, and they all accept the discipline from each mom. They'd probably have to take a blood oath not to tell if they got in trouble. One mom knows, we all do!
It's pretty hard not to like you.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
klkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 2,976
I know, right???

(just kidding)
klkb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
burton160w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Underneath my TJ
Posts: 1,639
It goes both ways - not respecting a dog and dog owners not managing their animals.

My rant: My neighbor has a female Cane Corso. I love Cane Corsos, but this one is nasty. Real nasty. They let their 8 year old dog take it in the back yard to let it go out. Our backyards are connected and theres been more then a handful of times where I'm running from my car to inside because this dog has gotten loose.
__________________
It's got a Willy's body, a Chevy engine, Ford axles, GM transmission, and Dodge steering components... it must be a Wrangler.
burton160w is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
Like anything else in life, it falls on both parties.

Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids to ask for permission to approach a dog.

Dog owners have a responsibility to maintain a boundary for their dog.

When we're out in public with our dogs (on a leash) we do not allow anyone to approach them without permission. If a kid rushes up to the "cute puppy" we stop them quickly before they are too close. Once they've stopped, we will allow them to approach quietly and respectfully. We educate them on how to pet the dogs (not roughly, don't put your face down near their face, no sudden movements, etc.)

The way I look at it, if a parent doesn't feel obligated to teach their kids boundaries, I don't feel obligated to be nice to the kid when we're educating them on how to respect the dog. (We're always nice to the kids anyway, but the thought does cross my mind at times)
great advice i will start doing this as well.. 100% correct thanks
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
lol my brother's dogs HATE little kids, they will bite and have bitten. it's quite funny because they are these tiny lap dogs that act like they are the toughest pit.
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,515
lol

__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Jeeps Clubs around Joliet area kwasiak Illinois Jeep Forum 27 07-16-2014 03:58 PM
Project BIG BLACK update 88lsxyj Builders Corner 54 09-28-2012 02:28 PM
Big Boys Playground Open Event March 31- April 1 lynskynbnd Virginia Jeep Forum 4 03-31-2012 09:33 PM
Finally! A new owner in the Big sky state! BlackwolfW87 WF New Member Check In 9 03-28-2012 12:27 PM
Is there any good wheelin around mt baker? Jared66 Washington Jeep Forum 2 03-26-2012 02:34 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC