Stick or Mig? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My house?
Posts: 1,175
Stick or Mig?

I've searched and still cant find a solid answer. I am looking at welders. I am buying cheap.

Job Smart Mig.

Duty Cycle - 20% @ 80 A
Input Voltage - 120 V
Process Type - MIG, Flux Core
Product Height - 17-3/4 in.
Product Length - 21-1/4 in.
Product Weight - 44 lb.
Product Width - 2-1/4 in.
Weld Thickness - 8 Gauge - 3/16 in.
Welding Amperage Range - 80-120 A
Warranty - 90-Day Limited Warranty

JobSmart® 125 Amp MIG/Fluxcore Welder - Tractor Supply Co.

Or a Campbell Hausfield

Duty Cycle - 10% @ 70A
Input Voltage - 115 Volt/20 Amp
Process Type - Arc/Stick
Product Height - 10-1/4 in.
Product Length - 15-1/4 in.
Product Weight - 24 lb.
Product Width - 7-3/4 in.
Weld Thickness - 18 ga - 1/8 in
Welding Amperage Range - 50-70 A
Warranty - 5-Year Limited

Campbell Hausfeld® 115V Stick Welder - Tractor Supply Co.

Now I would much rather get a Hobart but I am on a college budget so these are the two I'm looking at.

Should I get the Job Smart Mig, or the Campbell Hausfield Arc? I'll be doing frame work and I want to patch the floor in the Jeep as well.

__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,335
Couple Guys over on Jk freaks run I a mig from harbor freight. There's some minor upgrades but works well for them.

I'm looking to pick one up for cheap and learn myself.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
RoadGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way north of Texas
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Couple Guys over on Jk freaks run I a mig from harbor freight. There's some minor upgrades but works well for them.

I'm looking to pick one up for cheap and learn myself.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
...i have a Hobart 140...and have used the Harbor Freight...it's a good learning platform, and is a good value...

...can't speak to it's longevity though, and be mindful of the duty cycle on it...
RoadGlide is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
...i have a Hobart 140...and have used the Harbor Freight...it's a good learning platform, and is a good value... ...can't speak to it's longevity though, and be mindful of the duty cycle on it...
Yes thanks,
My friend is a welder and he did mention duty cycle.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My house?
Posts: 1,175
I've used both and can still use both but it's been a few years.
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
acf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 650
MIG welding is tighter and more intricate than arc welding. If you want to fill a big gap and move on, get the arc. If you want to weld "just that spot" go with the MIG. Also duty cycle is key, so of those two, MIG is the answer.
acf5 is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #7
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My house?
Posts: 1,175
It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I went with the mig. Now I've already fixed the exhaust on my father's TJ, and with tax time fast approaching, I'm now looking at fixing the frame. Can I use the mig to repair the frame? I'll be using the frame caps from Qtec.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56011_9020_07.htm
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
whetstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
Yes, you can. Penetration shouldn't be an issue since the frame tube is relatively thin-walled.
__________________
As it turns out, I'm not a 'real' jeeper
whetstone is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I went with the mig. Now I've already fixed the exhaust on my father's TJ, and with tax time fast approaching, I'm now looking at fixing the frame. Can I use the mig to repair the frame? I'll be using the frame caps from Qtec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56011_9020_07.htm
Theres nothing on a vehicle that cant be repaired with a mig welder. For sheet metal a 110v welder is perfect. For heavier areas such as frame and suspension you really need to step up to a 220v welder like a Miller 185.
krisbman is online now   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My house?
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post

Theres nothing on a vehicle that cant be repaired with a mig welder. For sheet metal a 110v welder is perfect. For heavier areas such as frame and suspension you really need to step up to a 220v welder like a Miller 185.
I've got a 120v job smart. So I'd be better off trying to find a friend with a stronger welder?
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
I've got a 120v job smart. So I'd be better off trying to find a friend with a stronger welder?
I would definitely opt for a 220 welder with a welder such as the miller 150 being the minimum.
Especially if your welding on the frame.
krisbman is online now   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My house?
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post

I would definitely opt for a 220 welder with a welder such as the miller 150 being the minimum.
Especially if your welding on the frame.
I'll be looking for a friend with a stronger welder then. Lol at least I've got mine to practice with and get better at welding for when I buy a better welder some day.
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
MoeBigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 60
I'm an apprentice welder/pipe fitter up in the gas fields, went to school for welding also. MIG (hardwire) is great for pretty much anything someone welding on their jeep. We run dual shield flux core and some stick at work. I prefer the flux core over MIG, super easy to lay down a nice bead and easy to learn. Anything I need welded I just take to work and do it over lunch, Im spoiled running a 12,000 dollar PipeWorx Miller.(I think I should stop before I get all technical)

__________________
2014 JK Sport 6 speed 3.73
KCCO
MoeBigs is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC