the 2012 thread - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
the 2012 thread

Let me start off by saying this; I don't buy into the hype. But a lot of people do, which can create a lot of problems in itself. While I don't think the sun, moon and stars are conspiring to end the world, I would expect some interesting times as we draw nearer. Its an election year, and a good number of the population thinks there is a possibility that the world is going to end. That could make CNN and Fox news very busy.

Maybe some riots, mass suicides and the like. Maybe not too. Have you done or are you planning to do anything to prepare? If not for the end of the world, but maybe for the nut jobs who do expect the world to end.

Lets debate, discuss or maybe even fight over the topic. Keep a sense of humor, and not break forum rules. No cussing, no religion and certainly no personal attacks. Its not the end of the world.

The way I see it if people want to sit quietly in the corner and kill themselves and clean some of the gene pool go ahead, but it's the crazed lunatics that have a grudge against society that want to spend there last hours (or so they think) looting my house, they will be surprised when they take a few hollow point Brenneke slugs to the face. If shit does hit the fan at least we have jeeps to take us farther into the mountains than most

__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
delicate %$^&*@ flower

WF Lifetime Member
 
tiny terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,753
Are you talking about the false belief that the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world in 2012?

tiny terror is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
My calendar ends December 31st 2009....

But yes the whole were all going to die mayan thing, not the movie.
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
that's what she said

WF Supporting Member
 
jgano23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: \m/-_-\m/
Posts: 16,482
Send a message via AIM to jgano23 Send a message via Yahoo to jgano23
with the way things are going, the world will probably end well before 2012.
jgano23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Just in case, I'm going to get one of these trucks. You never know when the road will be blocked and zombies will be in the way. I'll put my old CJ on top, as an escape vehicle.

Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgano23 View Post
with the way things are going, the world will probably end well before 2012.
I agree....
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
delicate %$^&*@ flower

WF Lifetime Member
 
tiny terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjoe View Post
My calendar ends December 31st 2009....

But yes the whole were all going to die mayan thing, not the movie.
You realize the Mayan calendar only ends, it does not predict the end of the world. That's a very popular misconception.


From Wiki, which isn't a great source but all I've got right now...
Quote:
Scholars of various stripes have disputed the idea that a catastrophe will happen in 2012, suggesting that predictions of impending doom are found neither in classic Maya accounts nor in contemporary science. Mainstream Mayanist scholars argue that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history. To the modern Maya, 2012 is largely irrelevant, and classic Maya sources on the subject are scarce and contradictory, suggesting that there was little if any universal agreement among them about what, if anything, the date might mean.
tiny terror is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
mudslinger150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern VT
Posts: 1,128
Images: 1
I vote for Zombie Apocalypse, that would be a great time. Until they catch me...
__________________
Mitch

Vermont
The Green Mountain State

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3821222

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dGUB6uJcQ
mudslinger150 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
kg4kpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via Yahoo to kg4kpg
I believe humans have been reading all this crap over the centuries and make events happen so all these gruesome predictions come true. Kind of why I'm not religeous. You get enough people to believe you, anything can happen....as long as it says it in the book you are using. As for me, I'll continue to stock up on ammo, MRE's,, and a cave in the mountains so when everyone goes crazy, I'll live peacfully while they kill each other off then move back in to claim all the new free land.

You tell enough people the book "Where The Wild Things Are" is the real bible, then they'll all think the monster Carol is God. JMHO
__________________
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/kg4kpg/f712f48bae526a2b13f30e6601f3433d_zps089056bf.jpg
kg4kpg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
You realize the Mayan calendar only ends, it does not predict the end of the world. That's a very popular misconception.


From Wiki, which isn't a great source but all I've got right now...

Absolutely I actually have researched it for quite a few years.

We do know for a fact that 2012 is an interesting year in our solar system as far as alignments go. The Mayan calendar was not meant to signify the "End of the World" it was meant to signify the end of a cycle.

That cycle is the Earth precession (axis tilt) finally moving to the other side. About every 25,000 years or so this happens, and its happening now. This also probably explains the entire "Global Warming" argument too. It should be done around 2012, or as late as 2023. There is some argument as to the accuracy of the years on the calendar so 2023 is the corrected year some say.

No one knows exactly how the Maya were so darn advanced in their astronomy but whatever the reason they were geniuses before their time. We know this stuff now because of computers.

We also know that this precession will also bring with it some serious solar storms. No one is certain the two are related but the Sun seems to be gearing up for a massive amount of eruptions (Sun spots). These storms are the only real danger, and they are only a danger because our society is so reliant on electricity. These storms could overwhelm power grids all over the planet and that will cause problems. Massive blackouts are always dangerous.

But the fact that the Maya knew this, for some reason has convinced some that they "knew" even more and that the end of the calendar was meant to be some destruction. But the Earth has undergone this cycle before, and it will do it again.....

The only real danger are the solar storms. If they do cause blackouts like some suspect it will be the people, not the planet, that cause the problems.
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
Let the zombies come, I just finished Left 4 Dead 2...I'M F'N READY!
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjoe View Post
Absolutely I actually have researched it for quite a few years.

We do know for a fact that 2012 is an interesting year in our solar system as far as alignments go. The Mayan calendar was not meant to signify the "End of the World" it was meant to signify the end of a cycle.

That cycle is the Earth precession (axis tilt) finally moving to the other side. About every 25,000 years or so this happens, and its happening now. This also probably explains the entire "Global Warming" argument too. It should be done around 2012, or as late as 2023. There is some argument as to the accuracy of the years on the calendar so 2023 is the corrected year some say.

No one knows exactly how the Maya were so darn advanced in their astronomy but whatever the reason they were geniuses before their time. We know this stuff now because of computers.

We also know that this precession will also bring with it some serious solar storms. No one is certain the two are related but the Sun seems to be gearing up for a massive amount of eruptions (Sun spots). These storms are the only real danger, and they are only a danger because our society is so reliant on electricity. These storms could overwhelm power grids all over the planet and that will cause problems. Massive blackouts are always dangerous.

But the fact that the Maya knew this, for some reason has convinced some that they "knew" even more and that the end of the calendar was meant to be some destruction. But the Earth has undergone this cycle before, and it will do it again.....

The only real danger are the solar storms. If they do cause blackouts like some suspect it will be the people, not the planet, that cause the problems.
On point post sir. Funny thing I don't know if you saw or not but recently some hackers got into a weather research facility in Europe and were able to download x amount of emails between top scientists that were trying to figure out how to cover up the fact that the Earth is actually COOLING based on gathered data and trends. I found that not suprising.
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Really?

WF Lifetime Member
 
ccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,453
Images: 9
Gah... Do you guys remember the whole Y2K thing? "Nukes are gonna launch, banks will all crash and your toaster will murder you in your sleep!"

I remember a buddy of mine buying a brand new generator from one of these Apocalyptic Propaganda Mongers in February of 2000 for like $100. Yeah, the idiot stocked up on everything. Lost his ass on the deal too. I'm sure he still has a basement full of ammo and MRE's.

I'm personally sick and tired of the whole "The Worlds Gonna End" crap! Ever since I was an infant that's all I've heard. Grade school sucked because we were still having Nuke Drills. Yeah, under that desk is a fine place to be incinerated! Every night on the evening news there was talk of the Soviet Union launching a preemptive strike on the US. In December of 1979 the big news was all of the televangelists predicting the "End of Days" and that the world would end in 1980. Regan was supposed to be the anti-christ because there were 6 letters in his first, middle and last name. I remember watching Johnny Carson (who hasn't been on TV forever) announcing during his monologue that "today is the day Nostradamus predicted the end of the world". For Christ's sake, it's no wonder everyone from that era needs to be on meds now!!! Funny we're all still here.

So yeah, there is profit to be made from scaring the uneducated masses into thinking they're about to die. For organized religion, it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Because you know, now-a-days, all you have to do is buy your way into heaven. When are people gonna wise up and say "Hey! I gave you lots of money in order to repent 20 years ago because the world was ending! What gives?!" ? I guess Tammy Fey needs more eyeliner! Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

The media just loves to scare the crap out of people and movies (such as 2012) just fuel the fire. Cuz, see there is a shitload of money being generated by striking fear into the masses. Well, I tell you this: If you're dumb enough to buy into the crap then you deserve to pay out the ass for it. Newspapers should all cost $300 an issue.

I would welcome a shift in the population of about 5 billion. It sure would make my commute a little easier in the morning! My Grandfather always said: Fu@k 'em ALL but 6. You only need six to carry your dead ass to the hole and drop you. Hell, you don't even need that many to light your ass on fire and put you in an earn.
ccain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 136
Anyone remember Y2K? Nuff said.

Doug
DougTimme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
Really?

WF Lifetime Member
 
ccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,453
Images: 9
Here's another thing...

I bet there are a shitload full of people buying mattresses and furniture with "no money down and no payments until 2013" hoping they'll go out on free furnishings. Hahaha! I'd love to see their faces on Jan 1 2013.

I wonder what's next. 2013... 2014... Are we gonna play this shit every year just to keep people scared?
ccain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccain View Post
Gah... Do you guys remember the whole Y2K thing? "Nukes are gonna launch, banks will all crash and your toaster will murder you in your sleep!"

I remember a buddy of mine buying a brand new generator from one of these Apocalyptic Propaganda Mongers in February of 2000 for like $100. Yeah, the idiot stocked up on everything. Lost his ass on the deal too. I'm sure he still has a basement full of ammo and MRE's.

I'm personally sick and tired of the whole "The Worlds Gonna End" crap! Ever since I was an infant that's all I've heard. Grade school sucked because we were still having Nuke Drills. Yeah, under that desk is a fine place to be incinerated! Every night on the evening news there was talk of the Soviet Union launching a preemptive strike on the US. In December of 1979 the big news was all of the televangelists predicting the "End of Days" and that the world would end in 1980. Regan was supposed to be the anti-christ because there were 6 letters in his first, middle and last name. I remember watching Johnny Carson (who hasn't been on TV forever) announcing during his monologue that "today is the day Nostradamus predicted the end of the world". For Christ's sake, it's no wonder everyone from that era needs to be on meds now!!! Funny we're all still here.

So yeah, there is profit to be made from scaring the uneducated masses into thinking they're about to die. For organized religion, it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Because you know, now-a-days, all you have to do is buy your way into heaven. When are people gonna wise up and say "Hey! I gave you lots of money in order to repent 20 years ago because the world was ending! What gives?!" ? I guess Tammy Fey needs more eyeliner! Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

The media just loves to scare the crap out of people and movies (such as 2012) just fuel the fire. Cuz, see there is a shitload of money being generated by striking fear into the masses. Well, I tell you this: If you're dumb enough to buy into the crap then you deserve to pay out the ass for it. Newspapers should all cost $300 an issue.

I would welcome a shift in the population of about 5 billion. It sure would make my commute a little easier in the morning! My Grandfather always said: Fu@k 'em ALL but 6. You only need six to carry your dead ass to the hole and drop you. Hell, you don't even need that many to light your ass on fire and put you in an earn.

I'm with you on the hype. I'm more into the scientific things myself, I just find it interesting. Universe is a lot bigger than us. I don't think the worlds gonna end but it wouldn't suprise me that the is SOME affect of the alignment of planets etc. I just think it's cool.
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Yep, I wish I had bought stock in batteries and camping gear in 1999.

I haven't seen the movie 2012 and I probably wont unless it's on late night tv and i'm drunk. Just and interesting topic that I have researched about because I enjoy astronomy. I don't buy into the masses though of the worlds going to end crap, from my post above it's the poeple you have to worry about. The earth was here long before humans and it will be here long after humans.

I just wanted to see what people have to say about it and I like to rile people up I agree with you ccain
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
Really?

WF Lifetime Member
 
ccain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,453
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. WOT View Post
but it wouldn't suprise me that the is SOME affect of the alignment of planets etc. I just think it's cool.
Well, you can rule out the alignment affecting people... The general population of earth right now are all already freakin' nuts.

Sure as shit though, it will most likely be an imagined affect which Al Gore will invent just to get people to send him their money.
ccain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Some Y2k issues were real - they just got taken care of by programmers who went thru all the code before the date. I'm not saying end-of-world stuff here, just that even some computer experts were really nervous on New Year's day. My wife wouldn't use her credit card for a week or so that January, and she worked for a couple of years on Y2K projects.

But your point is more on the mass hysteria and media-fueled panic. My point is on worries that credit transactions would go awry. So I'll just shut up....
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
Indeed ccain, indeed.
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Does the name Gary North mean anything to any of you? He was the official "guru" and panic monger of Y2K. His solution? Buy one of his cabins up in Montana where you'll be safe. But this wasn't his first time to hit the panic button. In the mid-80's, he had caused a minor panic over the AIDS epidemic. His solution? Buy one of his cabins up in Montana where you'll be safe.

The point is (and what ccain was saying) that there is a panic monger on every corner of the Internet who wants to sell you something.

2012? I see this as a great year. Why? Because Obama is almost guaranteed to be elected out of office.

This is how I think 2012 will go down...

November 6, 2012: Obama loses the Presidential Election in an unprecedented landslide in favor of an Independent candidate.

December 21, 2012: Unable to accept mass rejection, President Obama suffers a nervous breakdown and presses a big red button
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Mr. WOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 260
^ lmao!
Mr. WOT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
sonofabeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green Cove Springs, Fl.
Posts: 1,692
Hell,the mayans didn't even see their own demise coming.

As for the movie, I went because my wife wanted to see it. It blew. I'd rather watch a movie about sensitive/emo vampires and wolves.
__________________
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"
sonofabeach is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
skeeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Posts: 3,869
Send a message via Yahoo to skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
Some Y2k issues were real - they just got taken care of by programmers who went thru all the code before the date. I'm not saying end-of-world stuff here, just that even some computer experts were really nervous on New Year's day. My wife wouldn't use her credit card for a week or so that January, and she worked for a couple of years on Y2K projects.

But your point is more on the mass hysteria and media-fueled panic. My point is on worries that credit transactions would go awry. So I'll just shut up....
I wonder how much of the code wouldn't have been corrected had there not been such an outcry?

As for 2012? eh, people have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning, eventually someone will get it right, but we likely won't be around to see it.
As for preparing however, there are all kinds of things that can end "your" world as you know it at any time and it's foolish not to prepare to some extent. Ask the folks that have gone through hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, floods, chemical spills, sudden catastrophic medical problems...
__________________
"But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782

Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realize the pig enjoys it.
skeeter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
David Lucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hainesport, NJ
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. WOT View Post
Let the zombies come, I just finished Left 4 Dead 2...I'M F'N READY!
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccain View Post
Well, you can rule out the alignment affecting people... The general population of earth right now are all already freakin' nuts.
A-freakin'-men.
__________________
CCain2012

Gravity has a weird way of showing up when you least expect it.
David Lucas is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
adkjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,615
Everyone knows it will end with zombies that's a given!
__________________
Vermont
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Vermont with no permit/license
of any kind
adkjoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
njkeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scranton PA
Posts: 607
Is the end of the world is happening a minute after midnight or sometime during the year. I just want to know so I can make plans for New Years Eve.
__________________
"The world will know, that few stood against many"
njkeagle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
garett73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: denver colorado
Posts: 66
at least we can all say we died in jeeeps if it does happen ha ha i hope im rolling my tj in moab when it goes down ha
__________________
97 jeep wrangler 4 inch lift 33's 4.10 gears and a little ass 4 cylinder
garett73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 126
has anyone ever thought that maybe the mayans got bored and wanted to do something else which is why the calender ends that day. which really is how all of us are.

RhcSavage21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Multi-Quote Scout Off-Topic 27 02-16-2012 03:47 PM
Thread subscription default TJersey WF Site Help & Support 8 10-06-2009 04:47 PM
Which Thread is that? nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 24 11-28-2007 07:04 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC