Verizon hates me. - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
brightsidememe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moreno valley
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude
Sprint is the only carrier that won't throttle your data at a certain point. And well... then you have Sprint. Try being somewhere where you can use wifi?
Yeah but sprint sucks. They're already abounding their wimax technology and switching to LTE like verizon. And I think they started throttling data too

brightsidememe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
brightsidememe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moreno valley
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

They don't have best rates. The cellular companies are more or less in tiers. AT&T and Verizon are at the top. Give you an idea: Sprint and T-Mobile together are smaller than each if them individually. They literally control the market. Android was a blip on the market share while being avail on T-Mo and Sprint. When VZW got android it exploded (along with their marketing of Droid)

The 2nd tier is Sprint and T-Mo. Nat'l carriers but with a fraction of revenue or market share. They both market themselves differently as well (with Sprint being the cheap big guy and T-Mo being the cheap youthful/trendy one)

Afterwards have regional carriers like Cricket, US cellular, etc.

Sprint can not have the nationwide coverage and data speeds of Verizon without raising their price and eliminating unlimited data (they will unequivocally eliminate unlimited data within a couple years max) so as a customer you gotta hope you live in an area with good Sprint coverage and don't need customer service.

For customer service awards the winner is always VZW or T-Mo. One of them always wins (currently VZW is the latest winner of the JD Power award)

On a slightly related note about unlimited data: it maybe awhile down the road but home ISP are discussing capping that data limit as well.

There are very valid reasons why data plans are capped or throttled. Just like with many changes, it's the few who ruin for the majority.

And for those, like myself, who are grandfathered into unlimited data plans: enjoy them. Because they won't last forever. Shortly after Sprint drops theirs expect AT&T and Verizon to start phasing out the feature from accounts by way of forcing you to change once you upgrade your contract.
If it wasn't for verizon and the Droid brand Android wouldn't of been successful. I like how you think man.

brightsidememe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
brightsidememe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moreno valley
Posts: 385
Look at my speeds. No other network comes close to verizon. Specifically the second from the top
brightsidememe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
commodore_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsidememe View Post
Yeah but sprint sucks. They're already abounding their wimax technology and switching to LTE like verizon. And I think they started throttling data too
Like I said... then you have Sprint
commodore_dude is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Dorambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 25
I work for a vendor company. I'm actually doing 4G LTE surveys in Texas for the ice age towns as I type this.
Dorambo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
Dorambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 25
Vzw*
Dorambo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
Susiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wilmington, CA
Posts: 175
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsidememe View Post
I paid $300 to leave att horrible reception. Verizon is great they just slow down my data.
Oh and att does the same when you use more than 5gb
i know i hate AT&T too and i just upgraded not so long ago so I'm stuck with them for about two more years
I'm thinking of sprint next

for internet steal everyones internet jk
Susiee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
The thing that blows my mind is how they can charge more and more, yet throttle the connection, and no longer offer unlimited data. Tech is supposed to get cheaper and improve as time progresses, not the opposite.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos
The thing that blows my mind is how they can charge more and more, yet throttle the connection, and no longer offer unlimited data. Tech is supposed to get cheaper and improve as time progresses, not the opposite.
I'll try to explain, because it is not that simple.

Let's go back 6 years. The most advanced smartphone was a blackberry. Carriers LOVE them bc RIM uses their own server to help break down data and transfer it. Decrease the load on cellular network dramatically. 3G coverage was smaller than the 4G footprint today. And the 3G that was available was not as fast as current 3G (even within 3G there are different tiers. Evdo rev b, evdo rev a, etc)

Go back approx 2 years ago. Carriers have multiple challenges. One is more people using smartphones. That requires more towers, more bandwidth (the single most important thing in cellular technology), better support for the cell sites (this ranges from more salesman, call center reps, network technicians, land and federal licensing for towers, etc). Another challenge is the smartphones themselves. Not only is there an increase in user base but the phones are consuming more data than ever. While average BB user consumes approx 50mb a month the average iPhone and android user is closer to 500mb, with some in the Gb range. So the network strain increases exponentially.

So in a few short years the network roll out, at a cost of billions per year (VZW has averaged $5 billion a year last 6 years or so) just to maintain current growth. Remember first two years AT&T had iPhone? Network crashed a lot. Became a joke. Bc the switch from primarily BB users to iPhone users.

All that before factoring in cost of rolling out future technologies (4G) that runs on an entirely diff spectrum which for Verizon is 700mhz. That has to be bought. Vzw bought majority of theirs during the analog to digital switch. That means new cell sites, new training, more employees, etc.

In theory home ISP have no cap on volume, just speed. And speed primarily capped by wire type. But with cellular technology there is a very real finite amount of data than can be transferred at once based on the spectrum.

One more factor that few see, even majority of employees, is what companies call connected devices. Cell phones ate not only things using the network. Scanners, vehicles with built-in broadband devices, home electronics (think washer machine, tv, even locks) are being developed and tested as well.

I spent few days in NY two weeks ago looking and testing some of the stuff that's out in limited supply or being tested for release. I don't know how much will be a success but some is quite amazing.

But to answer: the tech has been rolled out wider footprint than before, speeds increased, while user base increased. So it has not remained stagnant. Voice/SMS technology has not evolved much so that has become cheaper (voice is changing soon. Vzw is testing VoIP for all calls. Few years before nat'l deployment though)
__________________
not
/nät/
adverb
1. used with an auxiliary verb or “be” to form the negative
2. used as a short substitute for a negative clause
"Not actually a backer of this thought"
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #40
I like beer and stuff

WF Supporting Member
 
Hammerwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 1,204
That all makes sense and I follow you completely but I have a question to add to this. Well more if a comment really.

Take the whole AT&T&T fiasco ( t-mobile merger deal that flopped on its ass) ,the main argument was that more providers allow more competition therefor lower prices.

I hate hearing that. Remember when AT&T and VZW were both all you can eat data? Then AT&T created a tiered data plan costing more? Ok so why, as a competitor, would you want to jack your prices up as well to follow you competitor instead of leaving your all you can eat data plan as a beacon for more customers? Everyone knows VZW has a far more superior network than AT&T :-D

I know there is some algorithm that the bean counters have probably made up to make more money but it certainly doesn't go with the whole " more competition means lower prices" crap that keeps being said.
__________________
"And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun"
Hammerwalk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwalk
That all makes sense and I follow you completely but I have a question to add to this. Well more if a comment really.

Take the whole AT&T&T fiasco ( t-mobile merger deal that flopped on its ass) ,the main argument was that more providers allow more competition therefor lower prices.

I hate hearing that. Remember when AT&T and VZW were both all you can eat data? Then AT&T created a tiered data plan costing more? Ok so why, as a competitor, would you want to jack your prices up as well to follow you competitor instead of leaving your all you can eat data plan as a beacon for more customers? Everyone knows VZW has a far more superior network than AT&T :-D

I know there is some algorithm that the bean counters have probably made up to make more money but it certainly doesn't go with the whole " more competition means lower prices" crap that keeps being said.
It is certainly a flawed, or at least incomplete, argument. Seems like a generic answer that can always be thrown out. I agree not really a valid reason for the merger being denied.

To answer your question the best way I can: all the carriers wanted to get away from unlimited data. No one wanted to be the first. AT&T had to be the first bc of their network issues. Once the initial heat died down then Vzw followed suit. Bc t-mo and sprint's target audience tends to be less affluent, combined with their lack of market share, they are holding on longer in hopes to gain some customers. But they will move away soon too.

Similar to fast food joints with the dollar menu. They were losing money on average from that side of menu, but no one wanted to get rid of it. So to counteract they've all launched "premium" menu options that at marketed as higher quality, healthier (even if not true), and "cooler" that also happen to be big money makers. McDonald's purposely makes that $1 chicken sandwich look like garbage compared to the $4 premium version.

With cell carriers no premium alternative.

What I'd like to see if cell carriers mirror home ISP. Get unlimited but pay for speed. I think that'd satisfy the market more.
__________________
not
/nät/
adverb
1. used with an auxiliary verb or “be” to form the negative
2. used as a short substitute for a negative clause
"Not actually a backer of this thought"
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #42
I like beer and stuff

WF Supporting Member
 
Hammerwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 1,204
I doubt it'll ever come to that, at least not right now.

As far as the AT&T&T merger, I'm glad it didn't happen and that AT&T had to pay the $4b cancellation fee to T-mo. The DoJ got involved for a reason. AT&T wasn't being truthful about the whole deal and that leaked document proved it.
__________________
"And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun"
Hammerwalk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
Dorambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 25
Thats why I give my money to VZW. I trust them as a company so far. It goes along way.
Dorambo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
brightsidememe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moreno valley
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

I'll try to explain, because it is not that simple.

Let's go back 6 years. The most advanced smartphone was a blackberry. Carriers LOVE them bc RIM uses their own server to help break down data and transfer it. Decrease the load on cellular network dramatically. 3G coverage was smaller than the 4G footprint today. And the 3G that was available was not as fast as current 3G (even within 3G there are different tiers. Evdo rev b, evdo rev a, etc)

Go back approx 2 years ago. Carriers have multiple challenges. One is more people using smartphones. That requires more towers, more bandwidth (the single most important thing in cellular technology), better support for the cell sites (this ranges from more salesman, call center reps, network technicians, land and federal licensing for towers, etc). Another challenge is the smartphones themselves. Not only is there an increase in user base but the phones are consuming more data than ever. While average BB user consumes approx 50mb a month the average iPhone and android user is closer to 500mb, with some in the Gb range. So the network strain increases exponentially.

So in a few short years the network roll out, at a cost of billions per year (VZW has averaged $5 billion a year last 6 years or so) just to maintain current growth. Remember first two years AT&T had iPhone? Network crashed a lot. Became a joke. Bc the switch from primarily BB users to iPhone users.

All that before factoring in cost of rolling out future technologies (4G) that runs on an entirely diff spectrum which for Verizon is 700mhz. That has to be bought. Vzw bought majority of theirs during the analog to digital switch. That means new cell sites, new training, more employees, etc.

In theory home ISP have no cap on volume, just speed. And speed primarily capped by wire type. But with cellular technology there is a very real finite amount of data than can be transferred at once based on the spectrum.

One more factor that few see, even majority of employees, is what companies call connected devices. Cell phones ate not only things using the network. Scanners, vehicles with built-in broadband devices, home electronics (think washer machine, tv, even locks) are being developed and tested as well.

I spent few days in NY two weeks ago looking and testing some of the stuff that's out in limited supply or being tested for release. I don't know how much will be a success but some is quite amazing.

But to answer: the tech has been rolled out wider footprint than before, speeds increased, while user base increased. So it has not remained stagnant. Voice/SMS technology has not evolved much so that has become cheaper (voice is changing soon. Vzw is testing VoIP for all calls. Few years before nat'l deployment though)
What he said^
brightsidememe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #45
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwalk
I doubt it'll ever come to that, at least not right now.

As far as the AT&T&T merger, I'm glad it didn't happen and that AT&T had to pay the $4b cancellation fee to T-mo. The DoJ got involved for a reason. AT&T wasn't being truthful about the whole deal and that leaked document proved it.
Yeah there was a lot behind the scenes.
My sister in law works for t-mo and AT&T was so confident about the deal they sent all the employees an email detailing what their severance package would be and approx time they cold expect it (if I remember they got email in or around Oct and they were to get the money in Feb or March) and if they didn't want severance they would get couple grand for staying with company. I want to say her severance was around $13K. Obviously that never panned out.
__________________
not
/nät/
adverb
1. used with an auxiliary verb or “be” to form the negative
2. used as a short substitute for a negative clause
"Not actually a backer of this thought"
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #46
I like beer and stuff

WF Supporting Member
 
Hammerwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 1,204
Wow! Wasn't AT&T also talking about how many jobs it would create? Hrmmmm....
__________________
"And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun"
Hammerwalk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwalk
Wow! Wasn't AT&T also talking about how many jobs it would create? Hrmmmm....
One of the many reasons the merger was denied. Most certainly would not create jobs.
__________________
not
/nät/
adverb
1. used with an auxiliary verb or “be” to form the negative
2. used as a short substitute for a negative clause
"Not actually a backer of this thought"
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #48
I like beer and stuff

WF Supporting Member
 
Hammerwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

One of the many reasons the merger was denied. Most certainly would not create jobs.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. That wasn't in the leaked document that I read ( or perhaps I over looked it) but I knew that wouldn't be the case. You offer insight to behind the scenes
__________________
"And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun"
Hammerwalk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,985
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1270348.html

Saw this today. The more cell phones become a necessity, the more fees will tacked on to everything related to them. As it is the dozens of taxes applies to cell phones is outrageous.

__________________
not
/nät/
adverb
1. used with an auxiliary verb or “be” to form the negative
2. used as a short substitute for a negative clause
"Not actually a backer of this thought"
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so who else hates the new comcast tv guide? old_blue Off-Topic 1 06-07-2011 09:47 PM
iPhone Verizon drbandkgb Off-Topic 77 01-19-2011 07:12 AM
Have Verizon with a smartphone? Save $20 Se7endust1 Off-Topic 1 11-09-2010 04:14 PM
what to do when the girlfriend hates your JEEP little1989jeep Off-Topic 159 10-22-2009 06:03 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC