Your short-term bugout / SHTF plan - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGuy425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 155
Thumbs up Your short-term bugout / SHTF plan

I think a lot of folks driving a wrangler have a pinch of "prepper" in them and have thought about what they'd do should SHTF. I personally keep bugout gear in my toolbox (firstaid kit, tent, sleeping bag, firearm, knives, shovel, a week worth of MREs, gloves, tools, the list goes on). Even though the likelihood of some catastrophic event occurring is highly unlikely, it gives me peace of mind knowing I'm somewhat ready. I have it all planned out in my head where I'm going to go to avoid the masses and a survival plan in case I have to lay low and live off the land. Just curious what other Jeep owners have in mind for their SHTF scenario.

__________________
Roads? Where we're goin' we don't need "roads". ~ELB
JeepGuy425 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
JeepEpoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 106
Yay something that makes my "ready to go" attitude seem less strange lol. Im a very organized and compact person ie: pancake pop tent, cocoon sleeping bag, every tool must have at least two uses and either fit inside something else or be able to break in two pieces, got a Rambo style knife, weatherproof matches (my list also goes on but i will mention good quality rope too is always important). The jeep is a perfect vehicle for me - compact, versitile on any terrain, simplistic, customisable for any situation (whether its the appocalypse or just robbing a bank. I have a kayak which feels like a jeep on water with the above mentioned reasons. In most scenarios i see myself heading straight north.

JeepEpoch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGuy425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEpoch View Post
The jeep is a perfect vehicle for me - compact, versitile on any terrain, simplistic, customisable for any situation
I agree 100% and its the reason I've been driving one since I was a teenager. The no-frills, go-anywhere, do-anything personality of a Jeep is what really made it attractive to me. Perfect for a prepper or survivalist. Which is why it annoyed me so much when they started making 4-door wranglers w/ the interior of a car - but that's another topic for another day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEpoch View Post
In most scenarios i see myself heading straight north.
Just curious as why you would choose the north rather than the south? The northeastern part of the US is over populated, congested, and the weather sucks. ::thinks of NY during War of the Worlds:: Unless you're talking about Canada, then that's a diff story. I can see Canada being a good place to avoid the masses if you can handle the cold.
__________________
Roads? Where we're goin' we don't need "roads". ~ELB
JeepGuy425 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
No SHTF plan here. I guess I will just deal with it as the situation unfolds. However, I love reading these types of stories.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JeepEpoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy425 View Post
Just curious as why you would choose the north rather than the south? The northeastern part of the US is over populated, congested, and the weather sucks. ::thinks of NY during War of the Worlds:: Unless you're talking about Canada, then that's a diff story. I can see Canada being a good place to avoid the masses if you can handle the cold.
Yeah i was thinking Canada. Nice dense forested areas. Plenty of fresh water (especially if you figure shit travels downhill so when a section of a waterway becomes contaminated everything south is useless). Im hoping the cold will deter alot of people. I also think that the food supply up there can handle a wide range of weather and temperature changes.

I realize to some people it sounds a little primitive and foolish but the human race hasnt survived this long by watching entertainment tonight...i like the saying "hope for the best, plan for the worst." I think ill bite my tongue for now because a topic like this could make me go on and on
JeepEpoch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Mikel01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Augustine Beach
Posts: 401
Images: 13
Two options. Stay in Kentucky and thin out my deer herd or go home and fish for food off the beach....
__________________
Moab with 33" Goodyear SAs, Warn Zeon. AEV bumpers, skid plate, suspension, tire carrier, hood, pintler wheels, water tanks, procal and mud flaps/cargo mat. Grill guard and KC Apollo Pro lights. Done for now.
Mikel01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TacX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 71
Well since I work in DC, I'd say a "typical" short-term SHTF scenario is as likely there as anywhere in the world today. If I'm not busy responding to whatever happened due to work, the GF and I will be rendezvousing at my house, grab the firearms for "unorganized target practice" (thank you state of Maryland) and heading to a few backcountry cabins I know of for a couple of days. Realistically knowing the egress points of DC, that trek could take several hours just to get to my home, but at least I know that my home is save from any foreseeable man-made issue, barring wind direction. If i had the option I'd have a firearm on me, but due to my travels in DC/MD/VA that can't happen. Its just one of those things that I hope I never need, but if I do, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I keep a large containers packed with everything I'd need including food, camping equipment, etc. Three quick trips from house to car and I can roll out with everything I need. They are organized though in terms of importance. Essentials in 1, 2nd is a little bit of comfort, 3 is extras and odds and ends I could live without if needed. I also have a "go-pack" that is with me at all times in the Jeep. That pack has everything minus food (beyond a few energy bars), however I could definitely support 2 people for 72hrs with that backpack if necessary. It serves double duty for keeping a lot of what I need for work.

In smaller scale scenarios, the jeep holds:
  • Batter Booster
  • Air Compressor
  • Tool Kit
  • Flares

The bagpack has everything else:
  • Med Kit
  • Water Filter Pump
  • Popup Bucket
  • Canteen
  • GI Mess Canteen Cup
  • Zip Ties
  • Trash Bags
  • Flashlight
  • Fire Starter
  • Knife
  • Sharpener
  • Signal Mirror
  • Duct Tape
  • Rain Jacket
  • Rain Pants
  • Change of Clothes
  • GPS
  • Binoculars
  • Hand Warmers
  • Glow Sticks
  • Compass
  • HAM Radio
  • External 6' Antenna
  • Caribeaners
  • 550' Cord
  • 2way Radios (Motorola Off the Shelf)
  • etc

I figure that will keep me for a little bit, but if anyone sees anything I'm missing by all means point it out! haha
TacX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
scipio337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
I'll be "bugging in". I have about 3 months food, most in dehydrated MH, a spring close to the house, enough ammo to last, and most of the items listed above.

My interstate to and from work (four lanes in each direction) had a 2 lane closure accident this week at peak morning rush hour. My normal 25 minute, 18 mile commute took 4 hours.

If you don't think it would be MUCH worse in a SHTF, you're fooling yourself. "Bugging out" is an illusion unless you're going somewhere close, and by bike or foot.
scipio337 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
DaisyCutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 433
I'm bugging in. If I do have to leave, then I'm taking the pristine 2003 Ram 2500 that's sitting fully fueled in my garage. It's more emergency capable because it's got about 6X the payload, bigger 10-ply tires, and more fuel range vs the Jeep.

Any of ya'll are welcome to help yourself to my 2013 once I vacate. Keys will be on the driver seat.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JK, 285hp, NSG-370 6-speed, NV241 TC, Dana-44R/30F 3.73 axles, Rubicon suspension, armored, and Toyo Open Country ATII's...

"Too many times, too many times, paying the price just for the thrill" - Tesla
DaisyCutter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TacX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
If you don't think it would be MUCH worse in a SHTF, you're fooling yourself. "Bugging out" is an illusion unless you're going somewhere close, and by bike or foot.
Oh I absolutely agree. My hope is that even though I live right off the highway is back roads. Since I'm 20mi outside the beltway already, if I make it home I feel like I can get out further. Making it home for me is the bigger concern, which is why I carry a large amount of gear with me.

I'm also challenged by the fact that I will bounce into at least 1 or 2 different vehicles in an 8hr shift before rotating back to my jeep at the end of the shift. Couple that with the need to move large amounts of equipment on each vehicle for job and I have to be selective on what I take with me. Anything more than a backpack isn't practice. Still I love my 5.11 72hr pack. Big enough to hold everything and still keeps me mobile and comfortable.
__________________
2014 JKU Rubicon X Black
35" BFG KM2 Tires, 3.5" AEV RS Lift Kit, Bilstien 5160 Shocks, AEV High Steer Kit, Elec. Sway Bar DC, Tru-Lok® Front and Rear Axles, Molle Tailgate, Cobra 75 CB
TacX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGuy425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
If you don't think it would be MUCH worse in a SHTF, you're fooling yourself. "Bugging out" is an illusion unless you're going somewhere close, and by bike or foot.
I never really thought of it that way. I guess the best option is to have enough gear on you to get home. Then have enough supplies at home to hunker down til the storm passes.
__________________
Roads? Where we're goin' we don't need "roads". ~ELB
JeepGuy425 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
scipio337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacX View Post
Oh I absolutely agree. My hope is that even though I live right off the highway is back roads. Since I'm 20mi outside the beltway already, if I make it home I feel like I can get out further. Making it home for me is the bigger concern, which is why I carry a large amount of gear with me.

I'm also challenged by the fact that I will bounce into at least 1 or 2 different vehicles in an 8hr shift before rotating back to my jeep at the end of the shift. Couple that with the need to move large amounts of equipment on each vehicle for job and I have to be selective on what I take with me. Anything more than a backpack isn't practice. Still I love my 5.11 72hr pack. Big enough to hold everything and still keeps me mobile and comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy425
I never really thought of it that way. I guess the best option is to have enough gear on you to get home. Then have enough supplies at home to hunker down til the storm passes.
That's my biggest worry: getting home from work! I try to keep the Wrangler fully gassed, but unfortunately, I have a very large river crossing, the Missouri, to get past, plus a smaller tributary river, and my route home is from the suburbs to the "exurbs", which everyone would be taking in an emergency. My wife is much closer, but still has to cross the small tributary, but is bugout bag adverse.

I do carry a small packraft in the Jeep, a hand pump, and a Specops brand T.H.E. backpack with enough supplies for 72 hours, but I have no idea how long it would take me to walk home after using the raft, and ditching the Wrangler. My kids' school is only 2 miles from the home, but my greatest fear is not being able to get to them.
scipio337 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
JeepEpoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
I'll be "bugging in". I have about 3 months food, most in dehydrated MH, a spring close to the house, enough ammo to last, and most of the items listed above. My interstate to and from work (four lanes in each direction) had a 2 lane closure accident this week at peak morning rush hour. My normal 25 minute, 18 mile commute took 4 hours. If you don't think it would be MUCH worse in a SHTF, you're fooling yourself. "Bugging out" is an illusion unless you're going somewhere close, and by bike or foot.
I kind of disagree. The scenario you described took place during a time of high traffic travel. If SHTF say a few hours after that (situation depending of course) theres going to be a steady flow of people comming to the realization that they would need to get home and not everyone leaving work at 5pm to jump on the highway. And if S really HTF speed limit goes out the window and so does slowing down for where an accident is. Now lets say SHTF at around 7pm - i think (situation depending again) that most people will feel much safer in thier homes and just sit around waiting for the electricity to magically turn back on...honestly theres a good chance that a large majority of people wont even realize theres a problem to bug out from. Governments dont want mass panic because they understand just how fast a human can loose civility, thats why its quite common to urge people to stay in thier homes or work areas and lots of people will obey. This is kind of a broad topic because no one has mentioned a specific scenario of what they plan to escape from...but in in just a general sence i believe itll take the majority of people a few hours to make a half-asses decision on what thier next move should be and that should be plenty of time for me at least to get ahead of the game. But this is coming from a guy with no wife no kids and no house to protect...
JeepEpoch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JeepEpoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 106
I cant sleep tonight so heres a very basic situation: a tornado just touched down 1 mile east of my appartment and is heading my way. Now ive been told "get in the closet." And at best be burried in rubble needing the help of a rescue crew to dig me out a day later with a 20 percent survival rate?No thanks. I jump in the jeep and start heading west with my SURVIVAL gear for a 70 percent survival rate. My nickknacks and pattywaks arent going to save me whether im in the closest or not and my survival gear will be desimated by the tornado if i stay.

Same situation but now all 20 of my neighbors decide to bug out also. We all reach the drivers seat and hit it into gear at the same time. I predict that itll take my neighbors a few precious moments of thought before even considering not to use the paved driveway and just jump the curb. Theyd be too consurned with thier paper and plastic bumpers getting scratched. Mean while ive already treaded up the grass jumped the curb and broken to the head of the pack. You can call it heartless,wrecklass, and selfish but most people wont "get it" until theyve seen it done or been in a actual life or death situation that requires them to use the primitive side of the brain that says "what is most important?"
JeepEpoch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGuy425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEpoch View Post
I kind of disagree. The scenario you described took place during a time of high traffic travel. If SHTF say a few hours after that (situation depending of course) theres going to be a steady flow of people comming to the realization that they would need to get home and not everyone leaving work at 5pm to jump on the highway. And if S really HTF speed limit goes out the window and so does slowing down for where an accident is. Now lets say SHTF at around 7pm - i think (situation depending again) that most people will feel much safer in thier homes and just sit around waiting for the electricity to magically turn back on...honestly theres a good chance that a large majority of people wont even realize theres a problem to bug out from. Governments dont want mass panic because they understand just how fast a human can loose civility, thats why its quite common to urge people to stay in thier homes or work areas and lots of people will obey. This is kind of a broad topic because no one has mentioned a specific scenario of what they plan to escape from...but in in just a general sence i believe itll take the majority of people a few hours to make a half-asses decision on what thier next move should be and that should be plenty of time for me at least to get ahead of the game. But this is coming from a guy with no wife no kids and no house to protect...

Atlanta gets 2 inches of snow = mass panic, highways clogged all day, kids sleep in school buses

Now just imagine a real disaster like a hurricane, earthquake, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atlanta_snow.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	953634  
__________________
Roads? Where we're goin' we don't need "roads". ~ELB
JeepGuy425 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Mikel01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Augustine Beach
Posts: 401
Images: 13
My renewable food source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	956378  

__________________
Moab with 33" Goodyear SAs, Warn Zeon. AEV bumpers, skid plate, suspension, tire carrier, hood, pintler wheels, water tanks, procal and mud flaps/cargo mat. Grill guard and KC Apollo Pro lights. Done for now.
Mikel01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
apocalypse , bugout , plan , shtf , zombie

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC