Coney Flats - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Coney Flats

Anyone ever been? Can a stock 2013 Rubicon fair well on the trail? My dad's favorite hobby is hunting for mushrooms in the area and as soon as he found out that I bought my Jeep, he wants me to take him. Wanted to get some insight before making the trek...

thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
BrianTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,429
no lift and no tires might not be to fun. I'm not super familiar with it. Also do you have a winch?

A good reference is www.traildamage.com

BrianTG is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
BrianTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,429
oh, and welcome to the forums.
BrianTG is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jeep65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 218
I did Coney Flats last year. Pretty cool trail but would be tough in a stock jeep. You will scrape bottom in a lot of places. Going through the pond at the top was pretty cool though.
__________________
Jeep65 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
JFjeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 396
I did it 1.5 weeks ago. Its a great trail, especially when combined with Middle St. Vrain, which many people do first and then onto Coney Flats. In any event, you're going to have some issues with scraping and there will be a few rocks that you can't avoid but as long as you disconnect and maybe have a good spotter you could get through those spots.

The big water crossing was fine 1.5 weeks ago. This was a video I shot last week of a buddy going through; he had a minor lift and, I think, 32s. Water level was doable but this week's rain could change that, so plan accordingly:

Coney_Flats_Paul - YouTube
__________________
2001 2.5L TJ, HPD30/D44 with dual OX and 4.88, full armor, X20-8 winch, 35" STTs on 15x8 black Cragar Soft 8s, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MM, 4.5" suspension w/ fully adjustable control arms and tie rod upgrade, OBA
JFjeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTG View Post
no lift and no tires might not be to fun. I'm not super familiar with it. Also do you have a winch?

A good reference is www.traildamage.com
Thanks! I'll check it out. No winch. Not yet at least.
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep65 View Post
I did Coney Flats last year. Pretty cool trail but would be tough in a stock jeep. You will scrape bottom in a lot of places. Going through the pond at the top was pretty cool though.
Thanks for the input!
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFjeld View Post
I did it 1.5 weeks ago. Its a great trail, especially when combined with Middle St. Vrain, which many people do first and then onto Coney Flats. In any event, you're going to have some issues with scraping and there will be a few rocks that you can't avoid but as long as you disconnect and maybe have a good spotter you could get through those spots.

The big water crossing was fine 1.5 weeks ago. This was a video I shot last week of a buddy going through; he had a minor lift and, I think, 32s. Water level was doable but this week's rain could change that, so plan accordingly:

Coney_Flats_Paul - YouTube
Awesome video. Thanks a lot.
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
BrianTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,429
Your name wouldn't happen to be Thomas and you wouldn't happen to be an awesome Korean would ya? Gadget nerd, system admin, and thomyi.... There is a good chance you know exactly who I am.
BrianTG is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
I have a great spot for mushrooms and was thinking of going Saturday to check on what's growing. I've never seen mushrooms at MSV although the area looks like it could be good. I'll let you know if I see any.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Hang On!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
Colo-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bailey, CO
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
I have a great spot for mushrooms and was thinking of going Saturday to check on what's growing. I've never seen mushrooms at MSV although the area looks like it could be good. I'll let you know if I see any.
I've seen people in there with grocery bags full if them.
__________________
Colo-TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo-TJ View Post
I've seen people in there with grocery bags full if them.
Good to know. Thanks Chad !
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTG View Post
Your name wouldn't happen to be Thomas and you wouldn't happen to be an awesome Korean would ya? Gadget nerd, system admin, and thomyi.... There is a good chance you know exactly who I am.
Yes...
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
I have a great spot for mushrooms and was thinking of going Saturday to check on what's growing. I've never seen mushrooms at MSV although the area looks like it could be good. I'll let you know if I see any.
Where's the MSV? If there are new spots that would great. I honestly don't have the patience for it but if my dad gets some exercise, I'm all for helping him.
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
BrianTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,429
LOL, what are the odds... Welcome to the fun Thomas. It always starts with the goal of MPG then slowly dwindles down to bigger tires and trails and more...

In 2 or so weeks my jeep will be 'done' and in need of a shake down run... I think you should come out when we go, it will be something close and easy... that is if you're still in the springs?
BrianTG is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
BrianTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,429
Oh and Hi Thomas...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-330078594.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	1353457
BrianTG is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mountain-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor Co.
Posts: 167
Haaaaaa Brian....... I love how this looks like a mug shot
Mountain-Girl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomyi View Post
Where's the MSV? If there are new spots that would great. I honestly don't have the patience for it but if my dad gets some exercise, I'm all for helping him.
Haha, my girlfriend loves looking for mushrooms so I've learned to enjoy it. Lots of species and interesting finds to compare my book to that keep me interested. I'm guessing he's looking for boletes or chanterelles ?

MSV is Middle St vrain and is just the other side of the Coney trail. I might be up there on Saturday morning.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTG View Post
LOL, what are the odds... Welcome to the fun Thomas. It always starts with the goal of MPG then slowly dwindles down to bigger tires and trails and more...

In 2 or so weeks my jeep will be 'done' and in need of a shake down run... I think you should come out when we go, it will be something close and easy... that is if you're still in the springs?
Cool. I'll let you know. My phone number is still the same since 10 years ago. Still in the springs.
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
Haha, my girlfriend loves looking for mushrooms so I've learned to enjoy it. Lots of species and interesting finds to compare my book to that keep me interested. I'm guessing he's looking for boletes or chanterelles ?

MSV is Middle St vrain and is just the other side of the Coney trail. I might be up there on Saturday morning.
Awesome thank you. Yeah my pops is the same. I like the morels, but that's it.
thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTG View Post
Oh and Hi Thomas...

Attachment 1353457
I saw that on G+. LOL. I look the same...

thomyi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC