Correct Tire Size for My Rig - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Correct Tire Size for My Rig

Plans have changed. The YJ. It is way too tall. The grabbers we bought are going to be put on the ramcharger. So I need new. No. I am not busting the bank with $2500-3000 worth of tires. I will hound craigslist and keep my eye out. But what should you guys recommend? I would like to keep low lift big tire combo. I Will comp cut rear and flat fender front and get flat longer leafs to stretch wheelbase. I will even swap to a v8 If I need the horsepower to spin bigger tires. Opinions on: height, width, and design?

vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Hang On!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
Colo-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bailey, CO
Posts: 4,025
I run 35 1250 15 on 3.5" tereflex lift. Seems to work pretty well for me. I like sitting lower to the ground. if you get some highline fenders I have seen 37's on a 4" lift. Low COG is best for Colorado wheeling.

__________________
Colo-TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Hang On!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
Colo-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bailey, CO
Posts: 4,025
You should talk to GSpup on low GOG ideas. He has a wealth of info on the subject.
__________________
Colo-TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
I did a spring over axle and Dana 44 so it lifted it like 4" on my YJ. Which already had 4" lift springs on it and went from 32" to 35" and it's just too big. And my axles are scout axles which are somewhere around 2" narrower. So narrow and talk just won't go. I will definitely get flat front and comp cut rears. I would like 37" or bigger but I just don't know yet.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
If GSpup could make an appearance I would really appreciate it lol.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Oldguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,371
The way I see it tire size is a function of how you plan to use your jeep, nothing else. Four inches of spring lift and spring over says to me you have nine to ten inches of lift overall. Unless you want a rockcrawler on forties this doesn't make any sense to me. And spring over is problematic. More cons than pros.

I'm in Chad's camp, thirty fives, four inches of spring lift and I went through a lot of grief to get rid of the body lift. And I'm still working out problems from that. But it does what I want it to do and isn't a headache to drive on the street.
Oldguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Well here's the thing. I know that the big tire small lift combo increases the performance of the short wheelbase vehicles tenfold. You're right. Its got tons of lift. It's like 34" or so to the rocker panel. That's just way too tall don't you think? This will by no means be a daily driver. I want to shoot for the step just under a trailer only rig. I want big tires but not like 44's. That's too big. And I think the 35's are too small. In my very first thread I have pictures I think. It won't let me post any? I don't know why. And I haven't seen many complaints about spring over? Is it really? What's your input.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Oldguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,371
I am a pragmatist. Why do you want "big tires"? If there's no purpose than what is the point?

I don't keep track of leaf suspensions because I don't have any. Primary issue for a spring over is axle wrap. Beyond that go out to Pirate, search on "spring over" and you will have more information than you know what to do with.

WF has a picture limit of 1K x 1K. I assume they did it to make life as difficult as possible for posting pictures. They also won't resize any more.
Oldguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Well of course the intention is to go rock crawling! Lol. As I said. Step under the trailer only rig. And I will have to go check on that. Thanks for the info.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince.parker25 View Post
If GSpup could make an appearance I would really appreciate it lol.
Sorry but I don't have much knowledge of leaf spring lifts.

I know a guy or two that run 35s and spring under and their jeeps look great. One is on stock XJ springs in the back for a small stretch.

Basic requirement will be cutting sheet metal and a higher clearance front fender...ideally hi-lines but no flare tube fenders and a little bumpstop should do the trick.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
I am a pragmatist. Why do you want "big tires"? If there's no purpose than what is the point? I don't keep track of leaf suspensions because I don't have any. Primary issue for a spring over is axle wrap. Beyond that go out to Pirate, search on "spring over" and you will have more information than you know what to do with. WF has a picture limit of 1K x 1K. I assume they did it to make life as difficult as possible for posting pictures. They also won't resize any more.
What do you mean by axle wrap? Are you saying like twisting of the springs? Because we added a link in the suspension I suppose might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2241215239.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	786329  
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
Sorry but I don't have much knowledge of leaf spring lifts. I know a guy or two that run 35s and spring under and their jeeps look great. One is on stock XJ springs in the back for a small stretch. Basic requirement will be cutting sheet metal and a higher clearance front fender...ideally hi-lines but no flare tube fenders and a little bumpstop should do the trick.
Hmmm I didn't know XJ springs stretched. And yeah. I plan on lots of sheet metal getting eliminated. Haha. But do you have any opinion on the tire size I should run. I want to drop like 3" of lift and get bigger tires than 35's. I want to do some pretty serious crawling.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince.parker25 View Post
Hmmm I didn't know XJ springs stretched. And yeah. I plan on lots of sheet metal getting eliminated. Haha. But do you have any opinion on the tire size I should run. I want to drop like 3" of lift and get bigger tires than 35's. I want to do some pretty serious crawling.
Ya 35's are easy to fit.

The XJ springs will give you about 5" of stretch. Waggy leafs will give you more stretch and you can use them in the front for a stretch too. I guess I know a bit about leafs haha. I'll post links to a few builds later.

With 37's you'd want hi-lines for sure as they give you and extra 3.25" of up travel. As I sit I have enough room for 37's just not enough axle and I'm on 3" of lift total. Then it's just a matter of cutting up the rear for a 'highline'. But you get the idea. I'd post some pics but I'm maxed out here on WF.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
Ya 35's are easy to fit. The XJ springs will give you about 5" of stretch. Waggy leafs will give you more stretch and you can use them in the front for a stretch too. I guess I know a bit about leafs haha. I'll post links to a few builds later. With 37's you'd want hi-lines for sure as they give you and extra 3.25" of up travel. As I sit I have enough room for 37's just not enough axle and I'm on 3" of lift total. Then it's just a matter of cutting up the rear for a 'highline'. But you get the idea. I'd post some pics but I'm maxed out here on WF.
I should look into that. I know where I can get XJ springs cheap cheap and I definitely plan to cut I'm trying to post a picture like what I have in mind but my phone is being gay.
vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Justin04Lj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post

Ya 35's are easy to fit.

The XJ springs will give you about 5" of stretch. Waggy leafs will give you more stretch and you can use them in the front for a stretch too. I guess I know a bit about leafs haha. I'll post links to a few builds later.

With 37's you'd want hi-lines for sure as they give you and extra 3.25" of up travel. As I sit I have enough room for 37's just not enough axle and I'm on 3" of lift total. Then it's just a matter of cutting up the rear for a 'highline'. But you get the idea. I'd post some pics but I'm maxed out here on WF.
Your set up inspired me the one time I saw your jeep lol.
__________________
Rock Krawler X-factor Short Arm 3.5, 35 general red letters
Justin04Lj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince.parker25 View Post
I should look into that. I know where I can get XJ springs cheap cheap and I definitely plan to cut I'm trying to post a picture like what I have in mind but my phone is being gay.
Scroll down on this page and you'll see a side shot, you can read about his stretch with XJ leafs.

Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 79 - JeepForum.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin04Lj View Post
Your set up inspired me the one time I saw your jeep lol.
Nice ! I definitely know the feeling...35's are a gateway drug.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 548
Also if you're willing to filter through the BS there are a lot of tricks to stretching on leafs here...

TJ leaf spring conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

A few more on this one...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...our-rears.html

Spend a few days going through these and you'll have some pretty sweet ideas to steal...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ps-thread.html
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
vince.parker25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 294
I really appreciate all the hunting you did for me. I'll have to go through it all! Thank you!

vince.parker25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC