CV Driveshaft help! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
CV Driveshaft help!

Hey guys I am about to upgrade my cv driveshaft and add a SYE so I can get rid of the vibrations that come from the t case drop. I need help on finding a relatively good deal on a Tom Woods driveshaft or any other kind. I also don't know which SYE I should get.

Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Hang On!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
Colo-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 3,900
I went with the Teraflex......
call Mike. he will help you out. http://www.avalanche4x4.com/Default.asp

__________________
Colo-TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Oldguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,195
Go with the Advance Adapters SYE, I believe that's what Teraflex sells. Tom Woods is good, you can be sure if you give them the right numbers it will fit. This is not a good place to try to save a few bucks.
Oldguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Sunshine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 49
Bill's Englewood Driveshaft...best in the business and great guy to work with. IMO.
I know he does deals for members on other forums, just not sure about this one (haven't looked at the vendor list) "You Can't Beat My Shaft!" - Welcome
__________________
when it breaks, fix it, and try try again
Sunshine24 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
Checked out Bill's driveshaft he said he'd give me the driveshaft and SYE for around $500 which is a pretty good deal. I'm also going to regear it to 4.56 and throw on some Rokmen upper control arms for my front and rear.
Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 View Post
Checked out Bill's driveshaft he said he'd give me the driveshaft and SYE for around $500 which is a pretty good deal. I'm also going to regear it to 4.56 and throw on some Rokmen upper control arms for my front and rear.
Front uppers aren't really necessary in your situation.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
You sure? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard you need adjustable upper control arms if you're going to raise the t case to stock level.
Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 View Post
You sure? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard you need adjustable upper control arms if you're going to raise the t case to stock level.
I am sure. I just did a tummy tuck my self a few months ago. So my tcase is lifted above stock level and adjustable rear uppers are the only after market arms I have. Rear upper control arms are all that's necessary. The front drive shaft is long enough that you don't need to adjust the angle.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
Oh okay sweet! That'll save me a couple bucks. Thanks for the pointer! How's it run with a new driveshaft? Pretty nice?
Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 View Post
Oh okay sweet! That'll save me a couple bucks. Thanks for the pointer! How's it run with a new driveshaft? Pretty nice?
Very smooth. Just had to adjust the uppers to get the pinion angle correct...sounds harder than it actually is. I eyeballed the driveshaft angle and all is good.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPup View Post
I am sure. I just did a tummy tuck my self a few months ago. So my tcase is lifted above stock level and adjustable rear uppers are the only after market arms I have. Rear upper control arms are all that's necessary. The front drive shaft is long enough that you don't need to adjust the angle.

Looks good GSPup. Who's skid is that in the picture that you used for the TT???? Currently doing a TT myself and will be in the market for a rear CV shaft next week...
1320quick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post

Looks good GSPup. Who's skid is that in the picture that you used for the TT???? Currently doing a TT myself and will be in the market for a rear CV shaft next week...
Thanks. It's a UCF ultra high clearance skid. If your local I did a Rocky Mountain Driveline shaft and they're local.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
TT is a great addition you your jeep.
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
Ok so my parts should be almost here by now. I ordered the rear upper control arms an SYE and cv driveshaft. Will there be anything else I need?
Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 View Post
Ok so my parts should be almost here by now. I ordered the rear upper control arms an SYE and cv driveshaft. Will there be anything else I need?
You will need do do something with your lower shock mounts. When you use the new adjustable uppers to rotate the pinion to point at the output shaft on the transfer case, that will pull the bottom of the shocks into the lower spring buckets. I put Curry shock extensions on mine. The JKS ones look decent too. I've heard that you can just cut a notch in the lower spring bucket but I didn't want to try that on my Tj. Other than that, it sounds like your are all set. I finished my TT/CV drive shaft this week so it's pretty fresh in my mind.
1320quick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
BreckenridgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 626
Just did it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
You will need do do something with your lower shock mounts. When you use the new adjustable uppers to rotate the pinion to point at the output shaft on the transfer case, that will pull the bottom of the shocks into the lower spring buckets. I put Curry shock extensions on mine. The JKS ones look decent too. I've heard that you can just cut a notch in the lower spring bucket but I didn't want to try that on my Tj. Other than that, it sounds like your are all set. I finished my TT/CV drive shaft this week so it's pretty fresh in my mind.
You can run the bilstein 5100's (shaft down) which typically clears... I went that route as well as notching the buckets. I've read of quite a few brackets breaking off from the added strain of mount extensions but yet to read of one from removing material. (plus it's free)
BreckenridgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
The relocation brackets aren't always necessary. I didn't need to do anything to make room
for my shocks. If you're running minimal lift you should be fine. If your running 3" or more you might need relocation brackets.

You'll know after you set your pinion angle...
GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Daydreamnation0312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver,Colorado
Posts: 54
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ View Post

You can run the bilstein 5100's (shaft down) which typically clears... I went that route as well as notching the buckets. I've read of quite a few brackets breaking off from the added strain of mount extensions but yet to read of one from removing material. (plus it's free)
Good thing I switched to some 5100's! Haha but I'm running a 3.5 inch lift so you think it'll still be good without using the relocation brackets? Sorry I'm new to this guys haha
Daydreamnation0312 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
GSPup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 View Post
Good thing I switched to some 5100's! Haha but I'm running a 3.5 inch lift so you think it'll still be good without using the relocation brackets? Sorry I'm new to this guys haha
Ya. We just intalled a TT on a rubi a few weeks ago with 3.5" Rubicon Express lift and his shocks fit fine...even at full bump. Every jeeps different but I think you'll be ok.

GSPup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC