Good source for d30 spare shafts? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 910
Good source for d30 spare shafts?

I'm pretty axle minded when I wheel, but I'd still like to be prepared knowing I am pushing the limits of my HP D30 (5:13s/Aussie) on 37s. Right now I see the fuze being the stock shafts. I'm thinking of going RCV in the semi-near future and continuing with the dirty 30 until I develop a plan of attack on a 1 ton setup.

Anyone know a place I can find stock HPD30 27 spline shafts on the cheap for trail spares? Also, what all would I require to fix this on the trail?

Thanks

__________________
My build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jag...ad-208920.html
jagerhelix is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
YJ325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 401
I see a lot of adds on craigs list for D30's. Are you sure you have a 'high pinion' ? I thought those were only avail on the XJ's. Don't quote me on that. That being said, there are a TON of XJ's at all the pull your own part junkyards. I would grab axle shafts and spare spider gears. As far as tools, procedure stuff. On a front axle, remove the axle nut, remove the brake parts, you'll need a 12 point socket to remove the hub, 13mm I think. With the hub off, the axle shaft should slide right out. The shafts will have to be removed, if you want the spiders out.

__________________
'95 YJ,2.5" SL,1" BL, BFG 33's, t-body, magnaflow exh. 4 banger
All I need is more money, more space, and more time.
YJ325i is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 910
Yep, the JK has high pinion reverse rotation. I've watched a few videos since my first post (something I should have done prior I guess lol) And I'm getting a good trail tool set together. Is it the outer shafts that usually go first? If that's the case it's pretty simple. But if the U joint fails, or inner shaft it opens a bigger can of worms.
__________________
My build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jag...ad-208920.html
jagerhelix is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
wanderlust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 1,249
Typically the unjoint blows up and takes one of the shaft "ears" with it. To bad rubi 44s won't fit, I have those laying around as my trail spares
__________________
2012 JKUR dozer clear coat 6spd
mods.. lots of mods
wanderlust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JoabsJks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
I'm pretty axle minded when I wheel, but I'd still like to be prepared knowing I am pushing the limits of my HP D30 (5:13s/Aussie) on 37s. Right now I see the fuze being the stock shafts. I'm thinking of going RCV in the semi-near future and continuing with the dirty 30 until I develop a plan of attack on a 1 ton setup.

Anyone know a place I can find stock HPD30 27 spline shafts on the cheap for trail spares? Also, what all would I require to fix this on the trail?

Thanks
I always carry a spare set that I found very cheap on craigslist, I broke mine up on eagle rock 2 times now, with the right tools it can be a 15 minute job.



I do it in this orders, makes it very easy.
1. remove tire, (because I have center cups)
2. remove outer axle nut: 35mm socket, braker bar, use your high lift jack handle for easy removal and to tighten it back in.
3. have someone press the brakes to remove the outer axle nut before removing the caliper.
4. remove caliper and disk by bracket 2 bolts: 21 MM socket. no need to remove the caliper from the bracket
5. remove 3 hub bearing bolts, 13mm 12point socket.
6. swap axles.

I put it back together starting with 5,4,3,2,1
JoabsJks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoabsJks View Post
I always carry a spare set that I found very cheap on craigslist, I broke mine up on eagle rock 2 times now, with the right tools it can be a 15 minute job.



I do it in this orders, makes it very easy.
1. remove tire, (because I have center cups)
2. remove outer axle nut: 35mm socket, braker bar, use your high lift jack handle for easy removal and to tighten it back in.
3. have someone press the brakes to remove the outer axle nut before removing the caliper.
4. remove caliper and disk by bracket 2 bolts: 21 MM socket. no need to remove the caliper from the bracket
5. remove 3 hub bearing bolts, 13mm 12point socket.
6. swap axles.

I put it back together starting with 5,4,3,2,1
Thanks, I remembered you mentioning having that issue. I'll be looking for a complete set of inners, U-joint, and outers. I've been on CL just no luck at this time. Nothing at FN jeep or Pred either. Might try Bach tomorrow and see if he has any laying around.


Still trying to decide on RCV or Chromo. It's a lot cheaper to just replace junkyard shafts every now and then
__________________
My build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jag...ad-208920.html
jagerhelix is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JoabsJks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
Thanks, I remembered you mentioning having that issue. I'll be looking for a complete set of inners, U-joint, and outers. I've been on CL just no luck at this time. Nothing at FN jeep or Pred either. Might try Bach tomorrow and see if he has any laying around.


Still trying to decide on RCV or Chromo. It's a lot cheaper to just replace junkyard shafts every now and then
I do have one for the passenger side, it is complete, inner and outer you can have it.
JoabsJks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoabsJks View Post

I do have one for the passenger side, it is complete, inner and outer you can have it.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the offer. But I'm going to go ahead and go rcv.

__________________
My build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jag...ad-208920.html
jagerhelix is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC