Originally Posted by jagerhelix
I'm pretty axle minded when I wheel, but I'd still like to be prepared knowing I am pushing the limits of my HP D30 (5:13s/Aussie) on 37s. Right now I see the fuze being the stock shafts. I'm thinking of going RCV in the semi-near future and continuing with the dirty 30 until I develop a plan of attack on a 1 ton setup.
Anyone know a place I can find stock HPD30 27 spline shafts on the cheap for trail spares? Also, what all would I require to fix this on the trail?
I always carry a spare set that I found very cheap on craigslist, I broke mine up on eagle rock 2 times now, with the right tools it can be a 15 minute job.
I do it in this orders, makes it very easy.
1. remove tire, (because I have center cups)
2. remove outer axle nut: 35mm socket, braker bar, use your high lift jack handle for easy removal and to tighten it back in.
3. have someone press the brakes to remove the outer axle nut before removing the caliper.
4. remove caliper and disk by bracket 2 bolts: 21 MM socket. no need to remove the caliper from the bracket
5. remove 3 hub bearing bolts, 13mm 12point socket.
6. swap axles.
I put it back together starting with 5,4,3,2,1