Interstate 70 or Highway 50? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 346
Interstate 70 or Highway 50?

I'll be driving on I-70 west across Kansas on my way to Ouray. Should i drive all the way out to Grand Junction and then south to Ouray? Or should i drop down towards Pueblo and take Highway 50? I'm sure Highway 50 is probably a 2 lane highway, and i'd prefer not to get stuck behind slow traffic. Timewise, probably close to the same. Scenery? What would you suggest? Thanks.

__________________
2014 2 Door Sahara, Granite, 3.73, 17x9 BirdDog Wheels, 33" Goodyear Silent Armors. Teraflex Leveling Kit, Hanson or Hyline Bumpers, etc. coming soon.
MaddHatter is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
07XMan2Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,691
That's a toss up. Both routes are Purdy. You do get to see Blue Mesa reservoir if you take 50. 70 would prolly be a bit quicker.

If you do go 50, I would go into Lake City and then over either Cinnamon or Engineer pass. From there you could drop down Mineral Creek to Ouray.
Stay South on CR 2 and you will come into Silverton.

Have fun. I spent the past two weekend doing those trails. There was a 20ft wall of snow at the top of Engineer. Pretty neat!! Yes they cut it so you can get through. Black Bear was still closed tho.

07XMan2Door is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
BrianH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door View Post
If you do go 50, I would go into Lake City and then over either Cinnamon or Engineer pass. From there you could drop down Mineral Creek to Ouray.
Stay South on CR 2 and you will come into Silverton.
This is solid advice.
BrianH is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Neal5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 593
Go 50, going all the way to Grand Junction is a HUGE waste of time in my opinion. But I guess it is all up to you and how much time you have and if you want to see anything off of I-70. When are you going to be out there? I am leaving the Denver area on Wednesday morning and spending the rest of the week down there and coming back Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddHatter View Post
I'll be driving on I-70 west across Kansas on my way to Ouray. Should i drive all the way out to Grand Junction and then south to Ouray? Or should i drop down towards Pueblo and take Highway 50? I'm sure Highway 50 is probably a 2 lane highway, and i'd prefer not to get stuck behind slow traffic. Timewise, probably close to the same. Scenery? What would you suggest? Thanks.
__________________
Current: GY DuraTrac 33s – D30/35 Open/Open –~3” Lift–MC Arched Fenders/TB–TrekTop NX
Have Waiting to Install: UCF Ultra High Clearance TT/Oil Pan Skid – MC F/R CA – Novak Cable Shifter – Custom Rocker Guards - Rear dana 44
LOOKING FOR: NP241 T-Case
Considering Trading: TrekTop NX for OEM Style Black Soft Top
Neal5280 is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 3,296
We have used 50 3 times now as my wife does not like 550. We have never been caught behind slow traffic for more than a few minutes. Very nice drive. Enjoy the trails.
__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,836
We took 50 last year, it was nuts with road construction! On the way home we took 550 to 160 to I25...it was a much less "mentally stressful" drive we were towing campers and both rigs. Easier to pass if we had to, for the most part less mountain passes w/steep grades. If we go back this fall we decided we were doing 160 again there and back.
Regardless of what route you choose I would get on the DOT construction website and make sure your road is clear.
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Neal5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 593
Yep great advise here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
We took 50 last year, it was nuts with road construction! On the way home we took 550 to 160 to I25...it was a much less "mentally stressful" drive we were towing campers and both rigs. Easier to pass if we had to, for the most part less mountain passes w/steep grades. If we go back this fall we decided we were doing 160 again there and back.
Regardless of what route you choose I would get on the DOT construction website and make sure your road is clear.
__________________
Current: GY DuraTrac 33s – D30/35 Open/Open –~3” Lift–MC Arched Fenders/TB–TrekTop NX
Have Waiting to Install: UCF Ultra High Clearance TT/Oil Pan Skid – MC F/R CA – Novak Cable Shifter – Custom Rocker Guards - Rear dana 44
LOOKING FOR: NP241 T-Case
Considering Trading: TrekTop NX for OEM Style Black Soft Top
Neal5280 is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,881
And they are doing blasting on the I-70 tunnels now....westbound traffic was at a standstill yesterday.
hosejockey61 is online now   Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 346
Tank you all

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I may change my mind about both I-70 or Highway 50. Now i'm actually thinking about heading farther south to visit the Sand dunes on my way out. Then, heading west towards Ouray. This trip will be awesome. We'll be there the last week of August, Sunday thru Thursday. Going home before LABOR DAY weekend and the Jeep Jamboree, hopefully missing the crowds.

__________________
2014 2 Door Sahara, Granite, 3.73, 17x9 BirdDog Wheels, 33" Goodyear Silent Armors. Teraflex Leveling Kit, Hanson or Hyline Bumpers, etc. coming soon.
MaddHatter is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC