It's alive! - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Colorado Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
It's alive!

Finally got everything together...for the most part. I've got a few odds and ends to tie up and figure out but went for a test drive this evening and all is functioning. ARBs lock up, gears are quiet, Aussie seems to be working. Overall just f'ing relieved to have this almost done. I did end up having to notch some drainage channels for the axle tubes, and also had to make a case spreader. I've read you don't always need them, but it was hard enough getting the carrier in with just the minimum components. I don't think it would have been possible to shim without spreading.

Now the list of things to figure out/finish/inquiry...
1. Need to bend my dust plates back because they have a slight annoying rub.
2. ARBs engage, but compressor runs continuously. Need to find the leak.
3. Aussie locker took more revolutions than I was expecting to unlock when I went back to 2wd. Was basically wanting to pushing me left a bit until it unlocked. Not sure if this is normal or what.
4. Have not re-routed my power steering cooler yet as "Wonderlust" suggested. I have it mounted sideways so one port is low and the other is high, with the input being the high side. I didn't seem to notice anything adverse on the test drive... Still trying to understand why it should have to flow "up". I didn't find that in my instructions.
5. Burned up at least one ABS sensor. Need to track down the culprit and replace.
6. Where am I wheeling next weekend
Case Spreader

In all her glory

__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
BreckenridgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
Finally got everything together...for the most part. I've got a few odds and ends to tie up and figure out but went for a test drive this evening and all is functioning. ARBs lock up, gears are quiet, Aussie seems to be working. Overall just f'ing relieved to have this almost done. I did end up having to notch some drainage channels for the axle tubes, and also had to make a case spreader. I've read you don't always need them, but it was hard enough getting the carrier in with just the minimum components. I don't think it would have been possible to shim without spreading.

Now the list of things to figure out/finish/inquiry...
1. Need to bend my dust plates back because they have a slight annoying rub.
2. ARBs engage, but compressor runs continuously. Need to find the leak.
3. Aussie locker took more revolutions than I was expecting to unlock when I went back to 2wd. Was basically wanting to pushing me left a bit until it unlocked. Not sure if this is normal or what.
4. Have not re-routed my power steering cooler yet as "Wonderlust" suggested. I have it mounted sideways so one port is low and the other is high, with the input being the high side. I didn't seem to notice anything adverse on the test drive... Still trying to understand why it should have to flow "up". I didn't find that in my instructions.
5. Burned up at least one ABS sensor. Need to track down the culprit and replace.
6. Where am I wheeling next weekend
Case Spreader

In all her glory
Nicely done!!!! And jeep looks great!

BreckenridgeYJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 6,422
Nice! Glad to hear you got it going. Could the lockers be staying locked cuz you're on asphalt? Try the field by your house see if there's a difference on soil...
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Adopt a Rescue

WF Supporting Member
 
Colo-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bailey, CO
Posts: 4,433
Sweet!!!!!
__________________
Colo-TJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,253
right on man!
CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
chrisfp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,309
Happy for you bud
chrisfp88 is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
wanderlust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 1,377
Sweet! The cooler routing is on PSCs web site under tech info
__________________
2012 JKUR dozer clear coat 6spd
mods.. lots of mods
wanderlust is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
Nice! Glad to hear you got it going. Could the lockers be staying locked cuz you're on asphalt? Try the field by your house see if there's a difference on soil...
Winner! Tried it in the dirt and it was much quicker to disengage.
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 6,422
Sweet! Brian are you using a tank with your compressor?
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
Sweet! Brian are you using a tank with your compressor?
No, just a small compressor. Its the smallest one arb sells. Basically just for lockers. Hoping the leak is somewhere on the compressor side. Its small enough that I can still engage lockers but just isn't holding the pressure without running. I'll let you know if I decide to borrow that tank from you. Won't be until after I find the issue though. I don't want to mask it
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Full Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calhan, Colorado
Posts: 673
My locker leaks like a pig when it's freezing outside. After about 30 miles it warms up enough and holds pressure. For me, I figure it's gotta be an o-ring on the the cog. I can live with it, just don't wanna have to lock it too soon.
Full Spool is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
So you just let your compressor run continuously while you lock it then turn it off when you unlock?
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Full Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calhan, Colorado
Posts: 673
No, I made that sound wrong.

I need to drive the jeep for a few miles before the lockers will hold air. The compressor will build up and hold pressure even if it's -10. But when it's freezing out the diffs need to be somewhat warm to get the o-rings to seal. Sometimes it's the front and sometimes it's the rear. In the summer it works just fine.

I'll turn the compressor on when we hit the dirt. It doesn't hurt if it holds air. Should hold air for fifteen minutes before it cycles again. Mine holds for around 5 minutes and I'm ok with that.

If it keeps cycling without the locker switch on, I would use a spray bottle with soapy water to find the leak.
Full Spool is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
I see what your saying. On mine, with the compressor running its pushing enough air to almost immediately lock it up. It was pretty cold so maybe that'll be the case as well.
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Full Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calhan, Colorado
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerhelix View Post
I see what your saying. On mine, with the compressor running its pushing enough air to almost immediately lock it up. It was pretty cold so maybe that'll be the case as well.
The ARB site has a good write-up about how the locker is supposed to act. The compressor builds up to around 85 psi. And the locker will stay locked to as low as 30 psi. So if the compressor recycles at 70 psi, the pressure should never fall low enough to shred the splines.... Hopefully
Full Spool is offline   Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
topher38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 5,005
The hardest part!!!
Finding the damn leak..
I fought that processor a good month.
They say it's suppose to last 15 mins. I got it up to 12 an I said screw it I'm done.
Another problem I have is where I installed my compressor. Makes it hard to mess when the wiring with comes loose every now and again making the whole system not work.
topher38 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
jagerhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CoLoRaDo
Posts: 1,058
Well, I've knocked out most of my checklist of issues. Found and fixed the ARB leak, installed spacers so I can turn lock to lock again, Aussie locker performed great. So now I'm down to three problems.

Will probably need to trim my rear (behind the tire) pinch seam. It looks like it might have hit last weekend. Need to find a place I can flex the rear out to know for sure.

Slight push to the left on steering. I will try to recenter my ram, that's all I can really imagine would cause that since it's a push and not really a drift.

F'ing speed sensors. Both rears are now new but I screwed up the jeep side connectors so they won't hold anymore. I was able to find one new connector today but I'm not very confident in my install on it. Until I get one for the other side I decided to connect the jeep side wires to the sensor directly just to see if it would work. No dice, although I can't tell whether either one is working unless I get the codes read again. This computer crap is irritating to say the least.

But on a side note, Happy birthday to me! Just got a smitty X20 winch, and will be ordering some recovery gear tomorrow. Now to start thinking about how I want to wire it to an in cab switch
__________________
jagerhelix is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 6,422
Happy birthday Brian!

__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC