There are some very tiny streams coming down from the top that look reasonably clear, but once they get down a little further they are either very red in color on the 285 side, or milky white on the Montezuma side. Lots of mining operations historically in that area and who knows what chemicals are present.
Agreed... this is a HEAVILY mined area, I wouldn't want anything that came from this basin on either side. Lots of heavy metals.
When you spend a lot of time up here, you see how much comes out of the mines each year, and what is in them... nasty. I happen to have a nice dry one (most years) on my property, but in my basin off clear creek alone, I know of dozens that seep each spring, and what comes out isn't something I'd want in contact with my food!
Some of the moonlight shots would be really cool up there, I'm excited to bring a couple bodies & see what I get. I'm usually lazy about taking full moon shots, I need some motivation!!
I still think this is on. I will start a new thread next week so we can get numbers. It'd also be good to know who plans on camping and who plans on driving out. I don't think the road leading out is too bad, but I think we can all agree that driving out alone is no good.
I'll be in on this. I'm wrenching on the Heep now but it should be good by then. I'll be bringing my boy and we'll be camping. I think Chad (ColoTJ) wants in on this too. A lot of the regulars here are in Ouray right now.
I'm still planning on this. Just curious if the restrictions around Montezuma will impact us getting out via Webster Pass. There is the Handcart Gulch shelf road to the left of the last descent, but it was a bit washed-out last year and not sure what the snow has done to it.
2001 2.5L TJ, HPD30/D44 with dual OX and 4.88, full armor, X20-8 winch, 35" STTs on 15x8 black Cragar Soft 8s, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MM, 4.5" suspension w/ fully adjustable control arms and tie rod upgrade, OBA, Novak Shifter, PS hood louver
Count me in for camping with one of my sons. I'm thinking of driving in early enough on Saturday to set up a basic spot, and I'll probably just fold down my jeep seats and sleep in the back.
Are you guys thinking of camping along Hall Valley along the Platte? I've never been back in this area so I'm not real familiar with what's available. I figure if I can find a spot to park then it's good enough to camp.
I haven't cleared it with the wife but... Count me in for camping with one of my sons. I'm thinking of driving in early enough on Saturday to set up a basic spot, and I'll probably just fold down my jeep seats and sleep in the back. Are you guys thinking of camping along Hall Valley along the Platte? I've never been back in this area so I'm not real familiar with what's available. I figure if I can find a spot to park then it's good enough to camp.
Oh yea, just pull the father son bonding time card. She will have to let you go. Haha
As for camping I'm not sure where I'm gonna set up. Prolly somewhere close to the road off in some trees but iv never been up there so I really don't know what the terrain is like
There is tons of great camping in the forest and a good campground not to far from the trailhead too. will look up the name this evening
The Handcart Gulch Campground is right before the entrance to Red Cone/Webster Pass on the 285 side. There are also some more back country camping sites off Red Cone and Webster Pass.
In regards to some of the previous comments: If Webster Pass is washed out and impassable, and Montezuma Road is still closed, you can always exit the area on the North Fork or Middle Fork trails into Breckenridge.
I was worried about this. Another option is to do this August 10th, but the full moon is on Sunday, not Saturday, which would probably mean taking Monday off work for most people. Lets see if we can check the status of the trail on Monday and we can all decide if we want to keep the original plan, or change it.
I just got a good look at the cornice. It's not going anywhere for a long time. That link has a good picture of it if you scroll down. webster pass
I believe this means for everyone that planned to camp in the valley, we'd have no way back down to our campsites. That's a problem for people like me who were planning on bringing a 2 year old that won't want to stay in the jeep for a long run. I think this also means our Summit County friends are stuck taking the extra long way around to the red cone trail head.
It looks like there's a twin cone run going the same night, and for sure that trail is open. I'm thinking I'm going to back out on this one until August and do an "almost" full moon run on the 9th. I like the idea of hitting red cone then going out swan river, but my 2 year old will never allow that much drive time without considerable breaks. Plus, I don't want to set up camp after dark.
Hopefully I can do a "take 2" with you guys in August.