Effective Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM the Tillamook State Forest will be under the Regulated Use restrictions for fire season. You will see bright orange signs posted at the forest entrances and on various information boards for the duration of the restricted use period.
Here’s what this means for the recreation public:
• NO SMOKING – except in designated campgrounds, developed recreation facilities, designated dispersed campsites or in the closed cab of your vehicle (doors on and windows rolled up).
• NO OPEN FIRES – no campfires or charcoal barbecues except at designated campgrounds or designated dispersed campsites at which ODF has installed metal fire grates. (Propane stoves and gas barbecues are OK.)
• NO NON-INDUSTRIAL USE OF CHAINSAWS – except as waived by the Forester.
• NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES OFF ROADS – Designated OHV trails in areas covered by the waiver for OHV use remain open for use during Level 2 industrial fire precautions (IFPL). Trails in areas covered by the waiver for OHV use close but the roads in the OHV areas remain open for riding during Level 3 industrial fire precautions. These areas include the Browns Camp Area, Lyda Camp Area, Jordan Creek Area, Diamond Mill Area, and Trask.
• NO FIREWORKS.
• NO WELDING, ARC/TORCH CUTTING OR GRINDING OF METAL.
• REQUIRED FOR ALL VEHICLES OPERATING IN THE WOODS (except dirt bikes and quads)
o 1 gallon of water or a 2.5 pound fire extinguisher
o 1 shovel with an 8 inch blade and at least 26 inches long from the tip of the blade to the tip of the handle
Or, you can give me a call Sunday – Thursday and I’ll try to answer any questions you may have. Generally, these restrictions stay in effect into October – I will send out updates as information becomes available.
Thanks for your help in keeping our forest lands safe from fires!