Looks like the weather is still unpredictable, but it appears rain is more likely than snow. The snow level is set at 2000 ft. on some reports which will be above us. Regardless, I'd play it safe and plan for rain, freezing rain, or snow. No sunscreen will be necessary.
Sounds like this is shaping up to be a sizable run. Shane, can you do another head-count?
Yeah, so right now I see:
That makes 15 rigs-hmmm....if the weather is reasonable, we may have to break up in two groups, or even three. I will let all of us make that decision at the Chevron since some people may or may not show up. Having said that, please speak out if you are or are not going so we can get a tentative head count again.
Everyone else should have a permit too, first you're supposed to, but with the ranger running around and the cost of the ticket, not to mention all of us waiting while you get your ticket, it doesn't make much sense not getting one. Last month when I was out there, I saw someone getting a ticket- probably made someone's day.
we both plan on spending a full day up there. Meet time is 8:30am, probably spend at least 6-10 hours?
3.5 hrs is def a long haul, but you are welcome to join if you find it worth it.
Um, just so you know, I plan on leaving the North Plains Chevron by 830AM. With this many rigs and sizing up the group, it could take a little bit longer, but once I shove off, we're going to be on our way. I'll try and be at the Chevron a little bit earlier to create some kind of sign-in, but every minute we are on pavement is one less minute off pavement. Likewise, if this group really is this big, our progress through the park will be slower than average.
Also, plan on meeting at the north end of the Chevron lot (the edge facing the Subway)- as a courtesy, I don't want to block the Chevron parking lot.
For those wanting to go out this Sunday 1-27 please read:
I am really surprised at the potential turn out for this little run I started back on Jan. 9th. As of Friday night, there are 74 posts and 1776 views! Right now about 16 people say they are coming. As stated, I just want to have fun and hope others will too on Sunday. However, with a group this size, we may have to break the group up into smaller groups. I will wait until Sunday AM to see the final turn out since some people may not show up at all. I am also open to suggestions that morning since I have never seen this problem before, it's like having a bunch of people show up for a party, but you have only one case of beer.
If we do split up, someone will have to volunteer for the other groups since I thought the group would be small. (One designated leader and one tail-gunner.) I will eat crow and take those who want to take it easy or newbies since I posted this as an "all levels run" and we will still have fun. If others want to take something more advanced, or we are all advanced/experienced, this will not be a problem. Please be candid about your experience, I don't want to take someone where they are not comfortable driving.
Plan on signing in/checking in- ALL GROUPS WILL NEED A SIGN IN/SIGN OUT NO MATTER WHAT! At the last Wrangler Forum meeting (my first) I was informed there was an informal snow run some time ago and the group was separated. One portion drove ahead while the other got stuck. No head count was taken so one party went home thinking the other made it out as well. Apparently, they were still stuck and had to spend the night in the forest until the next day. This is not safe, does not make friends, and is definitely not fun. It also happens to make the forum lose style points.
If only 10 or less rigs show up, no worries, that should be a manageable size, but if more show up, we'll break it up. For those who bail, no worries, there will be other runs in the future.
Went on a call to Rogers Camp yesterday morning, conditions were not icy but hard packed snow. Our 25 ton fire truck was easily able to navigate the logging roads!!! Don't know trail conditions but it didn't seem all that bad up there! See everyone tomorrow!
Just talked to a buddy who ran Archers Firebreak yesterday on his KTM and said there is a tree down across the trail. So if we are plannin on doing Archers someone might want to bring a chain saw? I would bring mine, but I don't have one lol.
Betcha you all are having fun up there! Cant wait for the pictures.
Yeah! It was a lot of fun-at least I think everyone else had fun including myself. A total of 13 rigs showed up at the Chevron, we broke into two groups and a 14th person miraculously found us at Firebreak 5. All conditions were present- below 2000ft it was mostly mud with some slush, no ice. Above 2000ft to 2500 ft there was fresh snow and slush. There is some deep stuff in the middle of the park along C-line road- that's where I got stuck. We just got home- I only managed to make a wrong turn three times and I got stuck once leading the way, that's the honest truth. Our group finished up the day at Rogers about 5PM, kinda late.
The one thing I did see was the Sheriff standing at the entrance to Powerline checking for ATV permits- we all passed, but I hadn't seen that before. Usually he/she is just joyriding along in that white Ford F250 looking out his window.
Anyhow, good times, safe times- we all made it back.