Turkey Bay - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Kentucky Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
GPgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Turkey Bay

I had an amazing time at Turkey Bay yesterday. This is an awesome place to jeep!! And...I realized its only 15 min from my house!!

GPgirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 40,086
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPgirl View Post
I had an amazing time at Turkey Bay yesterday. This is an awesome place to jeep!! And...I realized its only 15 min from my house!!
Glad to hear you had a good time, it is an awesome place to play.

__________________
2006 Unlimited Soft Top


Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
GPgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie

Glad to hear you had a good time, it is an awesome place to play.
Thanks. Yes it is! Do you go there very often?
GPgirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Looking for good wheeling and camping, how are the sites? Do they have cabins ?
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
GPgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Looking for good wheeling and camping, how are the sites? Do they have cabins ?
Check out www.lbl.org. It has all the info.
GPgirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 40,086
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPgirl View Post
Thanks. Yes it is! Do you go there very often?
When ever there is a group going I try. I live two hours away. I know Feb, 18-19 there will be a group from here going.
__________________
2006 Unlimited Soft Top


Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Trenton
Posts: 30
If i ever get the nerve up to do some offroading, this will be the place i'll have to go most likely. Do they have alot of trails without mud? or does it just depend on how much it rains?
beardedsmiley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
GPgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
There is some mud, but not too much because they close it down if it rains too much. The trails are color coded according to difficulty and if they are meant for a jeep or 4-wheeler. There are also tons of numbered roads throughout LBL that are enjoyable and not so difficult. So... Basically the place offers plenty of whatever type of offroading experience you want.
GPgirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Trenton
Posts: 30
sweet, on the easy one's i prob just have to be in 4wd high right? lol if i understand correct the 4wd low is more for going through the big ruts, rock crawling, etc.. or does it even matter since i doubt u will ever go over 25mph their anyways?
beardedsmiley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
I go to TB often. Here's one of the many TB videos you can find on my youtube channel.

Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedsmiley
sweet, on the easy one's i prob just have to be in 4wd high right? lol if i understand correct the 4wd low is more for going through the big ruts, rock crawling, etc.. or does it even matter since i doubt u will ever go over 25mph their anyways?
I usually run high most* of the time, and switch to Low if need be. It's a fairly decent ride whether it's dry or soaked.
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,725
Turkey Bay is the bomb. Been going there since 2003. In the early 2000s, it was epic. Crowds there every weekend. USFS rules have since turned the place into a boring park...but the scenery is still worth the drive.
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Always wanted to go there when I Had my Honda 250R 4 wheeler (sold it last week) Some friends and I have mentioned a fishing trip...now I have the Jeep. Looks like I need to make a trip happen. Heard nothing but good things on Turkey bay/Land between the lakes.
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Anyone up for going to Turkey Bay on The weekend of Sept 8, '12?
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RecycledTeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Turkey Bay is the bomb. Been going there since 2003. In the early 2000s, it was epic. Crowds there every weekend. USFS rules have since turned the place into a boring park...but the scenery is still worth the drive.
Don't know where you have heard that but everything I have seen at TB has been good, except for the people that fly wide open around the park. Last count was 14 airlifted out of there for this year, no accidents involving jeeps to date.
I agree with you that in the early 2000s, there were a lot of people there, but it was wide open riding, anywhere and everywhere and that caused a lot of damage to the park and alot of erosion problems. What TVA did was to begin to close the bad areas of riding and try to stop the rutting. With that being done, they are now opening areas that have been repaired and are reworking others to keep control. With what the USFS is doing there with erosion control, it has helped temper the arguments about closing parks because of bad rutting problems. It really didn't change any at all when USFS took over from TVA except they had more money to improve the system and check more vehicles within the park boundries.
You also have to remember just about the time USFS took over, the economy took a turn for the worse with gas prices rising, causing less people to go places.
RecycledTeen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
RecycledTeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedsmiley View Post
If i ever get the nerve up to do some offroading, this will be the place i'll have to go most likely. Do they have alot of trails without mud? or does it just depend on how much it rains?
Come on up LAbor Day Weekend, there is going to be a group ride there. People will gather at the check in shack around 0830 to 0900. Check out ItsaJeep.Org for more info on the ride.

As far as trails and area, they have around 120 miles of trails and over 2200 acres in the park. Something for everybody!
RecycledTeen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
For those of us who unfortunately had to work today, There are a few of us making a trip out to Turkey Bay, and surrounding LBL trails on Sept 8.
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Turkey Bay was good, maybe see some of you there next time..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-442143533.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	158371  
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Still have never been. A few of us in Louisville are going there in November.
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R
Still have never been. A few of us in Louisville are going there in November.
Just let me know exactly when and if I don't have to work I'll join ya
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Were heading down Friday November 2 and staying until Sunday.
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledTeen

Don't know where you have heard that but everything I have seen at TB has been good, except for the people that fly wide open around the park. Last count was 14 airlifted out of there for this year, no accidents involving jeeps to date.
I agree with you that in the early 2000s, there were a lot of people there, but it was wide open riding, anywhere and everywhere and that caused a lot of damage to the park and alot of erosion problems. What TVA did was to begin to close the bad areas of riding and try to stop the rutting. With that being done, they are now opening areas that have been repaired and are reworking others to keep control. With what the USFS is doing there with erosion control, it has helped temper the arguments about closing parks because of bad rutting problems. It really didn't change any at all when USFS took over from TVA except they had more money to improve the system and check more vehicles within the park boundries.
You also have to remember just about the time USFS took over, the economy took a turn for the worse with gas prices rising, causing less people to go places.
Yeah but when you pull into an off-road park and the sign says NO MUDDING you do feel like laughing and going somewhere else. The strict rules killed the attendance. Buggies can dislodge soil climbing hills all day and make noise, but a jeep can't drive through a mud hole. It's pathetic now. But like I said...the scenery is still worth an occasional drive.
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman

Yeah but when you pull into an off-road park and the sign says NO MUDDING you do feel like laughing and going somewhere else. The strict rules killed the attendance. Buggies can dislodge soil climbing hills all day and make noise, but a jeep can't drive through a mud hole. It's pathetic now. But like I said...the scenery is still worth an occasional drive.
I've come out of there covered in mud and they never said a word to me about it
HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibleMP View Post
I've come out of there covered in mud and they never said a word to me about it
We've pulled up at the ranger station to sign in and got a lecture about it before even unloading the rigs. "You boys aren't plannin' on getting muddy are ya'?" "Gee sir, what would make you think we'd come to an off road park to do that?"

We've also had forest rangers come into our campsite and force us to remove my 3 year old son's PowerWheels toy truck from behind the tent, because it was "beyond the boundary for motorized vehicles". I had it behind the tent to keep it out of sight so nobody would steal it in the middle of the night, and those a$$clowns made me put it out in plain view. A plastic toy electric truck!

The place is a total joke since USFS got all high-n-mighty around there. 10 years ago you'd have HUGE crowds, soldiers from Fort Campbell, all kinds of rigs and spectators, gatherings at the area known as the "Gator Pit", just a real fun time. Now you have to watch your every move so you don't get slapped on the wrist by Johnny Law.

It's a shame, because the scenery in the forest is different than all the other places in Kentucky you can go to and ride legally. Sigh.....
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
I'm suprised you have that much trouble with them. I wheel there all the time, and have never been approached by a LEO. :shrug:
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 40,086
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
I'm suprised you have that much trouble with them. I wheel there all the time, and have never been approached by a LEO. :shrug:
Same here Josh, never had a problem with any of the Rangers.
__________________
2006 Unlimited Soft Top


Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
The Rangers over there can be Butts from time to time & they screwed up some good riding when they took it over. I'm just now getting back in to jeeping but the most fun thing to do in LBL. Is ride the old roads not usable by regular vehicle. Purchase a camping permit & camp where ya want to, just hide the beer in a red solo cup.
JeepNmurray is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R
Were heading down Friday November 2 and staying until Sunday.
If any of you are cyclist ? There's a CX race at Barkley lodge nov 2nd. Beer garden & special rates at the lodge.
JeepNmurray is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
Whats the fee for turkey bay? I didn't see it on the web site.
pilotjett is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
HannibleMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjett
Whats the fee for turkey bay? I didn't see it on the web site.
It's $15 for 3 days, or $60 for a year

HannibleMP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkey Bay on Turkey Day Trip....... D Wall Tennessee Jeep Forum 0 11-21-2011 10:01 AM
YJ headed to Turkey VinceAlten WF New Member Check In 10 10-27-2011 01:47 PM
Turkey Bay - April 2nd, 2011 TR3YNGLER Trail Pics 29 04-05-2011 03:06 AM
Turkey vs Jeep sonofabeach Pictures Forum 16 03-02-2009 11:54 PM
Other Ways to Use A Turkey... jgano23 Off-Topic 5 11-21-2008 02:44 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC