98 Tj need a local hand - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Florida Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 161
98 Tj need a local hand

Hey guys so ive got to either replace or bypass my heater core and I'm a high school student with decent mechanical skills but need a fellow jeeper that can help me out going abought this? My problem is i have a small amount of anti freeze dripping into the floor boards and I've been told its the heater core? I know what its going to take to do this it involves taking the dash out. Im in land o lakes 34639 if i need to make a drive i can do that, or we can use my garage i have all the tools needed. I just cant break down and have to pay the 700.00 for the labor at a local shop? Let me no if anyone can help out or point me towards a shop that can hook me up thanks.

Boyd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 37
If you have an auto shop in your school talk to the teacher, may be a good learning experience for the students. My daughter was in school and in auto shop when she had to change out the heater core in a 98 Grand Cherokee with almost 1/4 million miles on it. Free labor just had to supply the parts.

A temporary fix is to hook the heater hoses together in the engine compartment bypassing the core. You won't have heat inside but it may get you by until you have other options.

Larry_D is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_D View Post
If you have an auto shop in your school talk to the teacher, may be a good learning experience for the students. My daughter was in school and in auto shop when she had to change out the heater core in a 98 Grand Cherokee with almost 1/4 million miles on it. Free labor just had to supply the parts.

A temporary fix is to hook the heater hoses together in the engine compartment bypassing the core. You won't have heat inside but it may get you by until you have other options.
Im thinking im going to just bypass it like your saying it will be alot cheaper and i really dont nee the heater that bad.
Boyd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
akap265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: holiday
Posts: 57
i live in holiday so im only like 20 minutes from you let me know if you need some help
__________________
2003 Rubicon-Rc 4"-procomp alloys-33x12.50 km2-UFC tummy tuck- Or-Fab front stinger- smitty built xrc rear
akap265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by akap265 View Post
i live in holiday so im only like 20 minutes from you let me know if you need some help
Ok awsome im probly going to wait till i have the weekend off to tear it down. I might as well order the part ahead of time.
Boyd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 1,386
Do yourself a favor and order heater hoses at the same time. They are probably stuck on there and there is a chance you will damage them removing them. Probably due for replacement any way.
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowrangler View Post
Do yourself a favor and order heater hoses at the same time. They are probably stuck on there and there is a chance you will damage them removing them. Probably due for replacement any way.
Ok do you know of any good sites to order this stuff? Ive found heater core but its around 100. Thats not a big deal if thats what it cost but i think somone mentioned that they bought one for
30-40
Boyd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
akap265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: holiday
Posts: 57
Heater Core | 1998 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com autozones website they have it listed for $65 heres a link
__________________
2003 Rubicon-Rc 4"-procomp alloys-33x12.50 km2-UFC tummy tuck- Or-Fab front stinger- smitty built xrc rear
akap265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by akap265 View Post
Heater Core | 1998 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 6 Cylinders S 4.0L MFI | AutoZone.com autozones website they have it listed for $65 heres a link
Just placed the order thanks alot

Boyd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC