If you're interested in some hard-core beach & sand wheeling, check out Long Island around Cape Lookout. You have to take a private ferry to get there from:
1000 Morris Marina Road
Atlantic, NC 28511
They drop you off at a NPS campground that has cabins for rent (for those bringing their lady friends), plus camping for free on the beach. Things to do on the island:
- 4 wheel in the sand on the beach and interior of the island.
- Drive the tide line during low tide (at 50 mph if you want). Jeeps are allowed *anywhere* on the Island (all 25 miles of it). Occasionally parts of the beach may be closed for Bird Nesting/Turtle Hatching season - but easy enough to bypass those areas.
- Wait till low tide, then jump across the inlet on the North end of Long Island to Portsmouth Island. NPS has a restored village from the 1940's, and is a great place for a picnic with the ladies.
- Some of the best Surf Fishing in the Outer Banks.
- Buy all the Ice + free advice you could want from the Ranger station (+ Air and Gas).
A total get-away from the world. Very wild seashore. The primitive cabins & electrical lights are the most civilization you'll see (and the lights run off a generator). Pretty easy to get a Cabin reservation during the heat of Summer. In the fall during the King Mackerel run, well, forget it.
Anyway its a good multi-day excursion. I try to do it once a summer, and have a blast.