Road closures............. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Virginia Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Unhappy Road closures.............

General location: Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from the Peaks of Otter.

Due recent flooding in the George Washington and Jefferson National
Forests (2-weeks ago), the following areas on the Glenwood & Pedlar Ranger District are closed until further notice:

• FT # 17 - Apple Orchard Falls Trail
• FT #18 – Cornelius Creek Loop
• North Creek Campground
• Forest Road #59 – North Creek Road
• Forest Road #768 – Thomas Mountain Road
• Forest Road #3034 - Apple Tree Road

About 2-weks ago a freek thunder storm hit the Apple Orchard Mtn area, with 10-inches of rain. The damage to fireroads in the area was extensive, especially to North Creek Campground.

North Creek Rd (off Jennings Creek Rd) is now gated off, with NO estimate as to how long! A friend and I will "hike" North Creek Rd tomorrow to survey the damage, especially to the Campground and get pix!

The above roads are nice Jeep Rds, and this is a real loss to the off-road community, especially this summer.

The real QUESTION: Does the Forest Service have the $$$$$ for repairs, or will this area be closed for good

__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
If the forest service doesn't want to move.. Local 4x4 clubs should get to gether and try to help clean it up.. Although in this sue happy nation we live in liability will probably get in the way of everything..

__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
If the forest service doesn't want to move.. Local 4x4 clubs should get to gether and try to help clean it up.. Although in this sue happy nation we live in liability will probably get in the way of everything..
We will get a better idea of the damage tomorrow when we "hike" North Creek Road. But what I saw today, from the new gate that's up, the damage will certainly require HEAVY machinery, etc.

Remember, 10-inches of water fell in a VERY short amount of time and most all funneled down this once SMALL trout stream!

Good idea though!

But, you know, I have found that lately the Gov't Land Mgt Agencies have adopted a Police State mentality, with the attitude, this land is OURS, so Keep the HELL OUT!

Another example" VA Game & Inland Fisheries, were once known as Game Wardens. Today, they are Conservation Police, and have as much or more power that the VA State Police.

So when asked where I am from, I answer: "The Peoples Republic of VA"
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
General location: Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from the Peaks of Otter.

Due recent flooding in the George Washington and Jefferson National
Forests (2-weeks ago), the following areas on the Glenwood & Pedlar Ranger District are closed until further notice:

• FT # 17 - Apple Orchard Falls Trail
• FT #18 – Cornelius Creek Loop
North Creek Campground
• Forest Road #59 – North Creek Road
• Forest Road #768 – Thomas Mountain Road
• Forest Road #3034 - Apple Tree Road

About 2-weks ago a freek thunder storm hit the Apple Orchard Mtn area, with 10-inches of rain. The damage to fireroads in the area was extensive, especially to North Creek Campground.

North Creek Rd (off Jennings Creek Rd) is now gated off, with NO estimate as to how long! A friend and I will "hike" North Creek Rd tomorrow to survey the damage, especially to the Campground and get pix!

The above roads are nice Jeep Rds, and this is a real loss to the off-road community, especially this summer.

The real QUESTION: Does the Forest Service have the $$$$$ for repairs, or will this area be closed for good
-----------------
Went up today to walk North Chreek Rd, to survey damage to the Rd, bridges and to the Campground (Rd is closed due to a horrific flash-flood)!

As soon as we arrived it started raining and raining hard! The forcast was for Severe Storms, heavy rain and winds in excess od 50 - 60 mph, so we opted for caution and postponed the hike up North Creek Rd.

So we got in the Jeep and went up to check damage to the upper part of Jennings Creek Rd. There are sections as long as 100-ft where the flooding scoured the pavement off the Rd down to hard pack rip-rap and one bridge is down to one lane (and in VERY POOR shape).

All this in an area, with few people, depressed economically, so I am sure repairs are on the bottome of the list for the Forest Service and VDOT

This pix, is of the bridge, reduced to one VERY narrow lane (upper Jennings Creek Rd). This was a trout stream with an average depth of 12 - 18 inches. A sudden down-pour of 10-in of rain changed all that !
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Exclamation

A friend and I rode our Mtn Bikes on North Creek Road today (it's closed to vehicle traffic).

1. No bridges lost
2. The road is eaten away at each end of a few bridges
3. Some pavement is gone!
4. The shoulders are eaten out a much as 2-ft deep on most of the road
5. North Creek Campground, survived with "almost" no damage.
6. Where the road goes from paved to gravel, the story is much different. The road surface will need much "road-grader" work.
7. The Trail at the end of North Creek Rd is also closed. Seems the side of the trail near the Creek has been BADLY eaten away. This will be a major repair job.
8. The Creek it self has been changed for good, with many trees in the creek, etc.

A Forest Service worker estimated 3 - 4 months for repairs, but I will not hold my breath!
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
A friend and I rode our Mtn Bikes on North Creek Road today (it's closed to vehicle traffic).

1. No bridges lost
2. The road is eaten away at each end of a few bridges
3. Some pavement is gone!
4. The shoulders are eaten out a much as 2-ft deep on most of the road
5. North Creek Campground, survived with "almost" no damage.
6. Where the road goes from paved to gravel, the story is much different. The road surface will need much "road-grader" work.
7. The Trail at the end of North Creek Rd is also closed. Seems the side of the trail near the Creek has been BADLY eaten away. This will be a major repair job.
8. The Creek it self has been changed for good, with many trees in the creek, etc.

A Forest Service worker estimated 3 - 4 months for repairs, but I will not hold my breath!
-----------------------------

Mtn biked off the BRPW today, and found that repair of North Creek Rd has begun

__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.



Jeepฎ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC