Smittybilt XRC Fenders - Legal in VA? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Virginia Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
danrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 954
Smittybilt XRC Fenders - Legal in VA?

Just wondering if anyone is running these in VA and if they have had any cop or inspection problems. Reading the VA Laws, it seems they'd be legal, but in VA there is the "law" and then there is the "Law".

danrb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
OffRoadCam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,334
The xrc are the body armor fenders correct that reolace the back panel an the fronts as well. If thos are the ones your talking about then I'd deff say illegal. Va state law is the tire can't stick out 4" or more past the fenders an those of no coverage as I can tell. Now the smittybilt flat fenders you should be fine. I have those an I'm sticking right at 4" out an no trouble with cops or inspection

OffRoadCam09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Madinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clifton, VA
Posts: 19
Yeaaaaaa Thier illegal here can't have your tires sticking too far past your fenders. But I'm still getting them. Just hold on to your stocks for inspection
Madinster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
OffRoadCam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madinster View Post
Yeaaaaaa Thier illegal here can't have your tires sticking too far past your fenders. But I'm still getting them. Just hold on to your stocks for inspection
That sounds like it'd be a pain to swap back an forth lol
OffRoadCam09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
danrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCam09 View Post
The xrc are the body armor fenders correct that reolace the back panel an the fronts as well. If thos are the ones your talking about then I'd deff say illegal. Va state law is the tire can't stick out 4" or more past the fenders an those of no coverage as I can tell. Now the smittybilt flat fenders you should be fine. I have those an I'm sticking right at 4" out an no trouble with cops or inspection
Can you quote the statute. The only thing I've found on VA is that commercial trucks are required to have fenders. Nothing about tires sticking out or anything requiring a passenger vehicle of have fenders.
danrb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Dien Cai Dau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 51
Legal Vehicle Width

In a web search of the Code of Virginia I find nothing talking to how far tires may protrude from the side of a vehicle. The closest clause I find is section 46.2-1105, which gives the maximum legal width of "other vehicles" (i.e., regular passenger vehicles) is 102 inches.
Dien Cai Dau is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
danrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Cai Dau View Post
In a web search of the Code of Virginia I find nothing talking to how far tires may protrude from the side of a vehicle. The closest clause I find is section 46.2-1105, which gives the maximum legal width of "other vehicles" (i.e., regular passenger vehicles) is 102 inches.
Yep that is all I could find, plus the one about commercial trucks having fenders. Just trying to figure out whether this is urban legend or Virginia legal code. If it's urban legend, then I'll get them and carry copies of the Virginia statutes with me since some cops here make up their own laws... It is a southern state after all.
danrb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gbobva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 293
Another path is to ask at a place that does inspections. I know mine will call and check with his contact at the VA State Police if he isn't sure about the answer.

If you'd like I can stop by and ask him.
Gbobva is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Havok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 353
Send a message via Yahoo to Havok
regs don't say anyting about tire cover
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
Havok is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
danrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbobva View Post
Another path is to ask at a place that does inspections. I know mine will call and check with his contact at the VA State Police if he isn't sure about the answer.

If you'd like I can stop by and ask him.
Please do. This has come up a few times. I think they look great. If I can get them and not be a ticket magnet, I'd do that versus flat fenders.
danrb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Buddhacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
regs don't say anyting about tire cover
exactly!
Buddhacon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
A_Kuminski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Forest,VA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrb View Post
Just wondering if anyone is running these in VA and if they have had any cop or inspection problems. Reading the VA Laws, it seems they'd be legal, but in VA there is the "law" and then there is the "Law".
Don't think there illegal, I run them and haven't had any problems yet. Check this link BTW

http://www.liftlaws.com/virginia_lift_laws.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131128_201624.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	551282
A_Kuminski is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Buddhacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 177
I am running them and have had no issues!

The cops that I have come across like it and give me thumbs up


Buddhacon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC