|06-25-2012 06:54 PM|
2 when dry, scuff them with either a course scotch brite or 500 grit sand paper. 3. Clean them again. This time make the last thing u do wiping them down with some type of wax and grease remover. Don't touch them after this process because it will make the paint react.
4. After drying, coat with "etching primer". Local auto stores should have this. Is specifically designed for raw metal and works well on chrome. 1-2 coats should be fine. Just go by what the can says.
5. If the etching primer requires sanding repeat step 3 after.
6. With your choice of paint apply multiple LIGHT coats. Don't try to cover every part of chrome with paint on the first coat. This will cause a reaction and will be a pain to fix. You shouldn't do a heavy, wet coat until probably your 4th or 5th coat.
7. If you want to add clear coat for protection nows the time to do it.
8. Install and keep a can of paint around. It was chrome and still is under your fresh paint ( or bed liner ;-) ) so a scratch will shine through. Glad to answer any other questions. Sorry if any of this is confusing.
|06-25-2012 05:08 PM|
|denisbaldwin||If you like the stubby bumpers, they are relatively cheap, light weight, etc. If I wasn't so in love with my bumper-mounted KCs, I'd go with a stubby myself.|
|06-25-2012 03:21 PM|
I'm a fan of the Smitty XRC bumper and have seen it on amazon for 339 shipped which isn't bad...
Sell that chrome one for 150 on craigslist... your total cost will be $189
|06-25-2012 01:51 PM|
Powder coated black chrome is very cool looking, Seek a professional for that one.
Just painting over chrome is tough you really need to scratch the chrome for paint to stick. Depending on how many layers of chrome are on them.
Sell them and get what you want or have them done by a pro.
|06-25-2012 10:57 AM|
|JaxBeachBMW||That's not a bad idea. I really don't like the chrome, but black might look nice. How's the process?|
|06-25-2012 10:54 AM|
|sinepome||Get some Scotch brite, etching primer, and color of your choice. Paint that thing. If the chrome is the only thing u dont like about it.|
|06-25-2012 10:52 AM|
So I'm selling the bumpers the PO put on this Jeep before I bought it (shown in photo). Looking for opinions of what to put on? I don't want chrome, don't need a winch, looking for very simple.