|09-02-2008 12:28 PM|
|Jeepy99||"Once we got the car turned on the jeep showed some signs" That was the car that gave us the jump! Oh and thank you for the input!|
|09-02-2008 12:08 PM|
If the battery is dead or near dead, your Jeep engine will not run... or at least it will not run well once the jumper battery has been disconnected. The alternator won't put out power without the battery being able to provide its required 12 volt "exciter voltage" so with a dead or nearly dead battery and an alternator incapable of putting out enough power, the ignition system will not be be able to produce enough spark.
So first, your battery could be old enough to finally be giving up the ghost. If it's not, then it just needs to be fully charged with an external battery charger. I would take it down to your local battery store and have them do what's called a "load test" which will test the battery's true condition. Then you'll know if it's truly bad or if it just needs a good charge.
Make sure too that both battery connections are clean and tight. Lastly, your Jeep is a Jeep, not a "car". Jeeps feel bad if you refer to them as a 'car'.
|09-02-2008 11:57 AM|
Battery problem, I think.... :(
Hi guys! I am the proud owner of a 1999 Wrangler TJ here in Costa Mesa, CA. I've owned her for about a year and have never had a problem with her until yesterday. With it being Labor Day we drove to a local "off road" spot and went along the trail. On the way back I noticed my check gauge light was on and the battery gauge was over in the high red. I pulled over not knowing what to do and turned the car off. When I tried to turn it on again it wouldnt even turn. I opened the hood, checked the battery and realized what was bolting the battery down was completely loose. We tightened the screws back up and had someone jump start us. Once we got the car turned on the jeep showed some signs of life but not much (she started to beep and turn over). Then we tried holding the gas pedal down while starting the Jeep and she started, but we couldnt let the gas off or it would die. I was able to drive home but my foot never left the gas pedal. When I got home Jeepy idled really low when there was no contact on the gas. Turned her off and of course now she wont start again.
Is this a common problem? Should I get a new battery? Should I take her in immediately? With it being Labor day yesterday nothing was open.