Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum > Warranty Help

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Warranty Help Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
08-21-2012 08:30 PM
MTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingghoul

Do you really think you could own a Wrangler for 7 years and NOT rack up $1900 in repairs?
That's not the question. The question is whether they'll be covered. It's a warranty, not insurance against repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingghoul
A scratced Nav Screen? Why would expect that be covered any more than a scratch on your hood? The hard drive however, is going to fail. Sooner or later, it will go.
You said nav unit. So I picked a nav unit. And I think a lot of folks WOULD think that it'd be covered. The impression given when extended warranties are sold is that you "don't have to worry" about repairs anymore, and I think that's what many people believe. And that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingghoul
Your comment about "argument at the dealership" shows you have no idea how the service contract works. Dealers make a profit on sevice contract repairs. They are paid by Chrysler. I've had dealers find other things to fix, that I never mentioned, presumably to build up a nice juicy bill to send to the service contract center for reimbursement.
No. Dealers would much rather you pay cash now at inflated prices than get nickel and dimed on the back end by Chrysler. Warranty service in general is getting harder and harder to get approved, and the proof requirements are getting stricter. With the OP's mods, I would expect very little real coverage in exchange for his money.
08-21-2012 08:23 PM
glowingghoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
I'd consider Oilwell's point on potentially getting the money back, but I think most of you folks are fantasizing. If you think Chrysler will replace your transmission after 180k miles of running 35s and deep gearing, I think you're going to be deeply disappointed.

An AC unit or a nav unit are possible ways to get your money out of the deal, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on any coverage for your drivetrain from an extended warranty if you're turning anything other than stock rubber with stock gears.

And don't these warranties cover only "defects," not "repairs"? In other words, just because it's broken doesn't mean it's covered--the repair must be because the part was "defective."

That means "wear and tear" parts are excluded (which after 100k miles includes almost anything--nav screen is too scratched to read? Too bad.), anything you break is excluded (no claims for trail damage, sorry folks), and anything damaged by your mods is excluded (that Rubi locker just couldn't handle those 35s--sorry).

Buying these for a stock jeep always seems overly speculative to me. For a heavily modded one, it seems wildly speculative. I'm sure it pays off occasionally, but I'd expect most of the time it just ends with an argument seven years from now at a dealership somewhere.
Do you really think you could own a Wrangler for 7 years and NOT rack up $1900 in repairs?

Of course mods and any damage caused by them isn't covered.

There's a specific list of excluded wear parts in the contract. It's short and exactly what you'd expect not to be covered.

A scratced Nav Screen? Why would expect that be covered any more than a scratch on your hood? The hard drive however, is going to fail. Sooner or later, it will go.

Your comment about "argument at the dealership" shows you have no idea how the service contract works. Dealers make a profit on sevice contract repairs. They are paid by Chrysler. I've had dealers find other things to fix, that I never mentioned, presumably to build up a nice juicy bill to send to the service contract center for reimbursement.
08-21-2012 08:08 PM
MTH I'd consider Oilwell's point on potentially getting the money back, but I think most of you folks are fantasizing. If you think Chrysler will replace your transmission after 180k miles of running 35s and deep gearing, I think you're going to be deeply disappointed.

An AC unit or a nav unit are possible ways to get your money out of the deal, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on any coverage for your drivetrain from an extended warranty if you're turning anything other than stock rubber with stock gears.

And don't these warranties cover only "defects," not "repairs"? In other words, just because it's broken doesn't mean it's covered--the repair must be because the part was "defective."

That means "wear and tear" parts are excluded (which after 100k miles includes almost anything--nav screen is too scratched to read? Too bad.), anything you break is excluded (no claims for trail damage, sorry folks), and anything damaged by your mods is excluded (that Rubi locker just couldn't handle those 35s--sorry).

Buying these for a stock jeep always seems overly speculative to me. For a heavily modded one, it seems wildly speculative. I'm sure it pays off occasionally, but I'd expect most of the time it just ends with an argument seven years from now at a dealership somewhere.
08-21-2012 07:49 PM
glowingghoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
They're not going to cover your mods or "damage" caused by your mods. So right off the bat, you can write off a lot of the coverage those warranties would otherwise provide you. Just think of all the repairs you could do for $2000 to $3000. I'd pass.
Uhm, a single repair to the air conditioning system?

One nav unit replaced?

I can think of 100 other repairs in the $1900 range.

Add in the free rental car, free towing, coverage at every Chrysler/Jeep dealership in the US/Canada/Mexico. They only use genuine parts and dealer techs to do the repairs.

Don't listen to the anti-extended warranty lectures. This isn't a TV, there will be expensive repairs in your future.

Chrysler extended warranties have always paid off many times over on all the Jeep vehicles I've owned. Just don't pay the $4000 most dealers ask for the Lifetime MAxcare/$100. You've obviously discovered it can be had for $1900.

Don't bother with the $50 deductable. It's not worth the premium.

If the problem wasn't a show stopper, I'd just wait until I had multiple things to bring it in for. The deductable is per visit, regardless of how many repairs are done at one time.

My WJ Grand Cherokee had $10,000+ in extended warranty repairs over a 7 year period. If I had to pay for them , I would've lived with most of the problems, but I didn't have to (slight oil seepage at the rear main seal, they changed the seal, that type of thing).
08-21-2012 07:40 PM
oilwell1415 Can you get a refund when you trade it off if you haven't used the warranty? Is it transferable? If either answer is yes I would be tempted to go with the lifetime w/$100 deductible. It won't cover a lot due to mods, but it will cover the engine, transmission and transfer case. If you ever need a new engine it would probably cost you several thousand dollars. Trans at least $2k, TC maybe $1k. If you can't get a refund or transfer it I wouldn't buy any of them unless you truly intend to keep it for life.
08-21-2012 04:31 PM
MTH They're not going to cover your mods or "damage" caused by your mods. So right off the bat, you can write off a lot of the coverage those warranties would otherwise provide you. Just think of all the repairs you could do for $2000 to $3000. I'd pass.
08-21-2012 04:19 PM
pluke the 2 if you're heavily modified and you use your rig, chances are you're going to be declined warranty issues in your future.

just my .02. but for a certain group of people who use their rigs off road, once they (the dealership)sees the damage, they aint going to cover it. unless it's totally unrelated and that's still a stretch.
08-21-2012 04:10 PM
PieFace
Warranty Help

Im between the

7/70 warranty for 1500
Max coverage lifetime (100 deductable) 1900
Max Coverage lifetime (50 Deductable) 2575
Max Coverage Lifetime (zero decuctable) 3290

I love my truck I feel like ill keep it forever. But when the '15 comes out, I may feel differently.

My truck is heavily modded now. Lift, wheels, intake, exhaust, etc.

Please throw me some opinions.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC