Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels > 15" Wheel VS 17" Wheel

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: 15" Wheel VS 17" Wheel Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-15-2013 06:09 PM
HAFICON All good info... Iím just thinking with as tight as 15" fit on a JK when on the trail if debris such as mud with rocks gets into you wheel seems it could be detrimental to either caliper or serious damage to the wheel.... Much less at 55 down the highway a rock fly in inside of wheel jam up and lock up one wheel...
03-14-2013 02:44 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber07 View Post
kbwwolf,

Great post, great info....when you say no big deal to the extra stress on the ball joints...how do you quantify that? I have a very reputable shop near here that recommends very strongly against 15" wheels because of the stress increases... Have you seen any engineering numbers on the stress differences?

Mike
No, I mean it more in a sense that the stock ball joints stink, as is. Sooner or later you're gonna have to replace em, whether you go with aftermarket wheels/tires or not – especially if you wheel much.

Obviously, running a bigger setup with smaller backspacing will hasten their demise.

My thinking is just to get as much out of them as possible, with the understanding that, once they go, it's worthwhile to swap em for something like the Synergy ball joints, which are stout.

I'm running 35s, and expect mine to bite the dust in the near future.
03-14-2013 02:42 PM
Jared66 No big deal. Cuz you jut replace them. Regularly. Lol
03-14-2013 02:37 PM
Climber07 kbwwolf,

Great post, great info....when you say no big deal to the extra stress on the ball joints...how do you quantify that? I have a very reputable shop near here that recommends very strongly against 15" wheels because of the stress increases... Have you seen any engineering numbers on the stress differences?

Mike
03-14-2013 12:21 PM
cmaggi2 My bad, I skim posts too quickly when I'm at work sometimes. You gave a good answer.
03-14-2013 11:15 AM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaggi2 View Post
Haven't people had balancing issues w/ 35s on 15" wheels?
Yup. From above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
However, with some 35" tires there have been balancing issues.
03-14-2013 08:39 AM
cmaggi2 Haven't people had balancing issues w/ 35s on 15" wheels?
03-14-2013 07:38 AM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnesstec View Post
I am looking at pricing out a set of 35"/315 Tires and have found that the Goodyear MT/Rs are considerably cheaper with a 15" hole.
Other than wheel selection and options, is there any reason that I wouldn't want a 15" wheel on this size tire?
The smaller the wheel size, the cheaper the tire. In general, you can often buy tires AND wheels in the 15" size for the same price, or cheaper, than 17" tires alone.

The advantages, other than $$, are lighter weight, bigger contact patch and fatter sidewall (which some see as a disadvantage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnesstec View Post
Would a 15" alloy wheel fit ok, with 4-4.5" BS on a 2.5" lifted '13 JKU?
15" alloy wheels will generally fit over your brake calipers (not all will...and almost none of the steelies will). However, with some 35" tires there have been balancing issues. If you're gonna run 35's, you might wanna consider a 16" wheel size. You'll have more tire choices, too.

Also, the 15" wheels are mostly 3.75" backspacing, and lower. This means they'll stick out farther from your Jeep, which puts extra stress on your ball joints, etc. Not a big deal...but if you're looking for something in the 4.5" bs range, you're gonna have to move up a size, to the 16" wheels.

All that said, the problem you'll have with the 16" DuraTrac is, it's an E-rated tire. Heavier than other DT's, and quite a bit harsher on-road. I run em on my rig, and don't often recommend them to other Jeepers unless they know what they're getting into. I like my Jeep to drive like a truck.

Everything's a trade-off.

Don't let what I said about the 15" wheel size scare you away; lots of peeps run the 15s with DuraTracs and have no issues. But it's better to be aware of possible problems than to get blindsided by em later...
03-13-2013 07:13 PM
Fitnesstec
15" Wheel VS 17" Wheel

I have tried a search and have not been able to answer these questions with the results.
I am looking at pricing out a set of 35"/315 Tires and have found that the Goodyear MT/Rs are considerably cheaper with a 15" hole.
Other than wheel selection and options, is there any reason that I wouldn't want a 15" wheel on this size tire? Would a 15" alloy wheel fit ok, with 4-4.5" BS on a 2.5" lifted '13 JKU?
I've read a ton of great reviews regarding the Duratracs, but how do the MT/Rs compare?
Thanks!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.



Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC