|06-03-2013 02:25 PM|
seen a few chopped ones, but only in terms of removing the roof to make it look like a CJ5.
I think mine is bad on the freeway because it delivered mail 6 days a week for 30 years, so the springs got some pretty ridiculous mileage on them. I was told the speedo rolled over twice before it broke in 1995, so 279K plus 5 more years of delivering mail, plus 10 years of me owning it...
I usually call that "easily over 300K miles", but it's probably closer to 400K
the engine got swapped in '81 to a 232, and despite some obvious wear and tear (all the pushrods are different lengths for example...), it's still going like a champ.
|06-02-2013 09:22 AM|
im used to bad oem support causing macgyver solutions. I drive a mopar after all (jk).
I wonder why the djs are so bad on the highway...
I think id chop the top in the style of those scions.....think itd look great...
|05-31-2013 02:04 PM|
- I liked mine so much I bought a second one
- 232 is a trooper, and the 727 isn't horrible either
- never seen one in civilian hands that wasn't modded.
- see them start in the 1k-2k range, but they always wind up far below 1K (mine was $400 with zero haggling)
- finding parts is... interesting.
- If you don't want to acquire some fabricating skills and tools, you might want to skip it the lack of aftermarket (and even OEM) support will turn you into MacGyver in short order.
- before long, you'll be trying to figure out why you're seriously considering a $350 HEI upgrade for your $400 jeep... (if/when you get there, just buy it... SO worth it)
- a DJ5 at freeway speeds is alarming. worse than any CJ5 I've seen. (that may be due to extreme mileage though)
- It's great fun, but the questions will come non stop, and some are retarded...
I have 2 right handers, and have had my DJ for 10 years or so. If you have any questions/concerns, fire away
|05-30-2013 07:04 AM|
|lynn||Waiting for pics|
|05-30-2013 05:37 AM|
debating a dj5d
Theres a dj5d for sale near me that was just retired from mail duty 3 months ago. Runs and supposedly the only thing wrong with it is a little "surface rust" and the stereo and gas gauge dont work. Theyre asking 1 big one.
It has a dana 44 with a posi and a chrysler 727 automatic and a 232 amc straight six
Is it a sin to mod one? Will i go to hell? I think itd be fun to take to a drive through. Since it has surface rust, i assume there are multiple rust holes. I have no pics yet.