Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum > Battery killer

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Battery killer Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-25-2013 11:37 AM
bruceandjo95yj Dont let your jeep set that long.....mine hates it....acts a fool if i leave it more than a day lol
07-25-2013 10:08 AM
tigerblood Cool. Thanks
07-25-2013 10:03 AM
OverkillYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblood View Post
What alternator do u have? Thinking of upgrading mine too
If I remember right it is either a Dakota alternator, or a Grand Cherokee alternator. It is def one of those. They are very similar. I cant remember because I actually bought both. One did not fit and I returned it for the other. There are a lot of write up on it though. You have to bypass the fuse box when you do it. I ran a 2 Gauge wire to a waterproof circuit breaker on the firewall, then to the battery.
07-25-2013 10:01 AM
OverkillYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider94 View Post
Is your amp controlled by the key? Or is it wired to the battery direct? Had a friend that wired his amp to the battery and also wired the control wire to the battery as well. Would drain the battery over night, in unhooked the control wire and ran to the fuse box so it would only work with the key no more problems.
Nah, Stereo is wired correctly. I have had that in there almost as long as I have had the Jeep. The control wire gets wired to the headunit so that the amps only turn on when you turn the stereo on. The 0 Gauge line for the amps goes directly to the battery, then a 2 farad cap, then out to the amps.
07-25-2013 09:20 AM
Redrider94 Is your amp controlled by the key? Or is it wired to the battery direct? Had a friend that wired his amp to the battery and also wired the control wire to the battery as well. Would drain the battery over night, in unhooked the control wire and ran to the fuse box so it would only work with the key no more problems.
07-25-2013 09:15 AM
tigerblood What alternator do u have? Thinking of upgrading mine too
07-25-2013 09:08 AM
OverkillYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon 1 View Post
I am in the middle of working the same exact problem man. With my AUX equipment connected to the battery, my Jeep will last about 6 days before it won't start. With the AUX equipment disconnected, it'll last weeks. I went about it trying to isolate what ciruit is causing the parasitic draw. I've replaced 2 batterys so far ( both under warrenty ), thinking it was the battery, but I found it wasn't because I did this test:

If you take off the negative battery cable only, you can put an indicator light in between the negative terminal and negative cable. The indicator shouldn't come on, if it's dim or more-than-dim it means that some circuit is drawing power. You can also measure the exact voltage/amperage it's drawing with a digital multimeter, but a simple $10 test light will work too.

Get a digital multi-meter and do that test in current mode. One lead to positive terminal of batt, the other lead to positive cable. That will actually tell you how much current draw there is. You can then calculate (generally) the time it will take to drain your battery. From there you'll want to head to the fuse box and determine which circuit(s) is causing the draw. You'll know as the draw will be similar to that you found before. I'd also check the relays, first, as an easy step before unpluging and testing all the fused circuits. You can do that with the multi-meter as well.

I know a lot of guys won't tackle an electrical problem head-on like this, but if you're patient you will eventually figure it out. In the meantime, you can get a solar charger from Harbor Freight that plugs into the cigarette lighter, it will make up for voltage loss you currently have.
Good advice. I also just ordered a battery minder so I can always throw that on if I am parking it for a while. AZ said they will replace battery under warranty regardless of what their tester says. I am thinking it might be my fault though. I use my winch a lot, have an electric fan, and a 1700Watt Stereo. I upgraded to a 136 Amp Alternator a while back, but it seems that might not be enough since it usually screams a bit under full load.
07-24-2013 09:51 PM
Defcon 1 I am in the middle of working the same exact problem man. With my AUX equipment connected to the battery, my Jeep will last about 6 days before it won't start. With the AUX equipment disconnected, it'll last weeks. I went about it trying to isolate what ciruit is causing the parasitic draw. I've replaced 2 batterys so far ( both under warrenty ), thinking it was the battery, but I found it wasn't because I did this test:

If you take off the negative battery cable only, you can put an indicator light in between the negative terminal and negative cable. The indicator shouldn't come on, if it's dim or more-than-dim it means that some circuit is drawing power. You can also measure the exact voltage/amperage it's drawing with a digital multimeter, but a simple $10 test light will work too.

Get a digital multi-meter and do that test in current mode. One lead to positive terminal of batt, the other lead to positive cable. That will actually tell you how much current draw there is. You can then calculate (generally) the time it will take to drain your battery. From there you'll want to head to the fuse box and determine which circuit(s) is causing the draw. You'll know as the draw will be similar to that you found before. I'd also check the relays, first, as an easy step before unpluging and testing all the fused circuits. You can do that with the multi-meter as well.

I know a lot of guys won't tackle an electrical problem head-on like this, but if you're patient you will eventually figure it out. In the meantime, you can get a solar charger from Harbor Freight that plugs into the cigarette lighter, it will make up for voltage loss you currently have.
07-24-2013 11:20 AM
OverkillYJ I am guessing I could have damaged it using my winch and stuff. I am not familiar with internal shorts in the battery. I do have a gauge permanently hooked up to my battery so I do know that my voltage is correct. First thing I will do is what you said. I will get it charged then let it sit disconnected for a few days and see if it still starts.
07-24-2013 11:07 AM
goatman Another easy way to see if the battery itself has an internal short (if the thing sits for days regularly) is to just disconnect the battery after verifying it is charged. if you come back a few days later and it starts up fine, you have a voltage draw when the ignition is off.
07-24-2013 09:03 AM
jeff_in_rc First thing I would do is charge the battery then measure the voltage at the battery, should be 12.6 or so but it could be a little higher or lower. Then start the engine and measure the voltage again, should be 13+ volts and could be as high as 14.4 or so.

That will tell you if the alternator is working correctly. Then to check if there is a drain disconnect the ground lead and measure the voltage between the cable and the post, be sure to use a low setting on your VOM. If you have drain you should find it this way.
07-24-2013 08:33 AM
OverkillYJ
Battery killer

My battery is about 8 months old. Something recently started draining it when I park for a couple of days or more. Not sure if my battery is going dead or what. It almost seems like something is drawing a small amount of power all the time. I dont see anything though. Anyone know of the best way to figure out what it is/ Alternator is new as well. So is all of my wiring.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC