Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum > OME 2.5" Suspension and 32" tires

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: OME 2.5" Suspension and 32" tires Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-23-2011 03:34 PM
UnlimitedLJ04
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
When you say Ill need 1" rearbumpstop extensions to clear the tires in the front,did you mean 1" coil spacers/lifts? I thought bumpstops were in the center of the coil spring and only were there to prevent full bind of the coil, I wasent aware they provided additional lift/clearance?

Please clarify. And yes I am keeping the oem front trackbar. Why did you decide to change the OEM endlinks and control arms? I was told it wasent necessary?

Thanks.
No, not coil spacers - BUMPSTOP EXTENSIONS. The bumpstop is made of three main parts - the bumpstop/spring tower, the bumpstop cup and the jounce bumper. Thats the crap in the middle of your spring. You need to extend the bumpstops with larger tires or a lift. Some cheaper companies leave bumpstop extension out...they just assume you won't notice or they plain don't care.



The jounce bumper is the rubber thing in the middle - that cushions the impact of the axle to the spring tower/frame. It is designed to fully compress into the bumpstop cup.


If you don't have bumpstop extensions will you end up using the shocks as bumpstops....that means you break the shock or the shock mount. I've seen them rip off the axle or shear bar pins. If you run larger tires, you need bumpstop extension because unless you change the distance from the hub center to the fender AT FULL SUSPENSION COMPRESSION, you will damage your fenders. Not the flares, the actual steel body panels.

The primary function of the spring is to keep your bumpstops off the axle pad. Thats it. Lift springs do NOT provide clearance for larger tires...they only keep your bumpstops off the axle. Bumpstops provide clearance for larger tires, and prevent shock damage & overcompression.

Front bumpstop extensions go in the front lower spring pad:


Rear bumpstop extensions go on the rear frame side spring perch:


Otherwise you can end up with this condition:


Which will rip the shock mounts off and cause problems like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxNwpOrbL8

here's more info:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com
Jeep 3 Inch Budget Lift Installation
01-23-2011 03:24 PM
styyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
The downside to the OME kit is they don't include enough rear bumpstop extension. They give you a 20mm extension with the kit, but its not enough. You actually need 1.5" in the rear. Otherwise the track bar relocation bracket will hit the tub in the rear and the shocks will bottom out at full suspension compression. bumpstop extensions are cheap and easy to make though. Rubicon Express sells 2" kits you can cut down, Performance Accessories body lift spacers work good, or some even epoxy hockey pucks down. You'll also need 1" bumpstop extensions in front to clear the 32x11.50R15 tires.

Keep the stock front track bar unless you plan on fighting diff cover & aftermarket track bar issues for months.

I've got roughly 25k miles or so on my OME kit. Works nicely with my setup - JKS front discos, RE rear sway bar links, Rokmen control arms & bumpstop extensions with custom track bars.

call up DPG Off-Road
www.dpgoffroad.com
When you say Ill need 1" rearbumpstop extensions to clear the tires in the front,did you mean 1" coil spacers/lifts? I thought bumpstops were in the center of the coil spring and only were there to prevent full bind of the coil, I wasent aware they provided additional lift/clearance?

Please clarify. And yes I am keeping the oem front trackbar. Why did you decide to change the OEM endlinks and control arms? I was told it wasent necessary?

Thanks.
01-23-2011 09:44 AM
UnlimitedLJ04
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
I have a 1999 Sahara and am in need of new springs and shocks. I bought the jeep used and it came with 32X11.5X15's mounted on OEM 15X8 canyon rims. Im interested in the 2.5" OME(Old Man Emu) kit. Anyone out there have any experience with this setup?
Thanks.
The downside to the OME kit is they don't include enough rear bumpstop extension. They give you a 20mm extension with the kit, but its not enough. You actually need 1.5" in the rear. Otherwise the track bar relocation bracket will hit the tub in the rear and the shocks will bottom out at full suspension compression. bumpstop extensions are cheap and easy to make though. Rubicon Express sells 2" kits you can cut down, Performance Accessories body lift spacers work good, or some even epoxy hockey pucks down. You'll also need 1" bumpstop extensions in front to clear the 32x11.50R15 tires.

Keep the stock front track bar unless you plan on fighting diff cover & aftermarket track bar issues for months.

I've got roughly 25k miles or so on my OME kit. Works nicely with my setup - JKS front discos, RE rear sway bar links, Rokmen control arms & bumpstop extensions with custom track bars.

call up DPG Off-Road
www.dpgoffroad.com
01-22-2011 11:08 PM
styyy wow thats some list of acronyms,I better start studying so I learn to speak Jeep
01-22-2011 07:41 PM
Phil05LJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil05LJ View Post
I've been pleased with the heavy duty 2.5 ome on my LJ however, I had to go back and add a 3/4" spacer in the front because the weight of the ARB made it sag and that's without a winch on it! It rides really smooth on ruff trails, especially with the front disconnected. My 31s will stuff and clear the Rubicon flares just barely with 15x8 procomp rims. I have a JKS front trac bar that allows for a little more travel but the control arms are still stock. With aftermarket arms, 32s would likely rip off my flares.
I should add that the kit I have didn't come with bumpstop extensions for the front. Its not important if the swaybar is still connected.
01-22-2011 06:52 PM
Ageless Stranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
Ageless.... Are u also running discos?
Yes, I have JKS Quicker Disconnects.
01-22-2011 06:30 PM
Jon M Ageless.... Are u also running discos?
01-22-2011 01:23 PM
distortedtj
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
Im new to all this jargon,please clarify ,BS?, MML? and I assume a BL is a body lift? I need a WF dictionary! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
BS (when talking wheels) = Back Spacing
MML = Motor Mount Lift
BL = Body Lift
And here is a list of all the other acronyms you mite see..

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/acr...etc-37459.html

01-22-2011 01:18 PM
styyy thanks
01-22-2011 09:43 AM
Ageless Stranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
Im new to all this jargon,please clarify ,BS?, MML? and I assume a BL is a body lift? I need a WF dictionary! lol
BS (when talking wheels) = Back Spacing
MML = Motor Mount Lift
BL = Body Lift
01-22-2011 09:29 AM
styyy Oh and to clarify I bought a OME suspension kit from 4X4connection in virginia(Nathan) and it included 4X OME coils,4X OME OME shocks,panhard bar relocator/drop bracket,OME steering damper($614+ s/h),guess I should have said $650. Definately the best deal I could find on quality stuff. Tell him Jerry E sent you.
01-22-2011 09:23 AM
styyy Im new to all this jargon,please clarify ,BS?, MML? and I assume a BL is a body lift? I need a WF dictionary! lol
01-22-2011 09:18 AM
Wesboy I have a '97 with the Old Man Emu lift.
Used to run 32X11.5X15 on stock 15X8 rims with 5.5"BS and was very happy with that combo. Had some rubbing at full lock but a couple of washers on the steering stops took care of that. And no problems with the swaybar disconnected.
There wasn't much clearance in the rear wheel wells but never had any rear wheel rubbing.
Like Jp90talon above, have now added 1"MML, 1"BL and 33" tires (on 15X8 rims with 3.65"BS)
01-21-2011 07:07 PM
Phil05LJ I've been pleased with the heavy duty 2.5 ome on my LJ however, I had to go back and add a 3/4" spacer in the front because the weight of the ARB made it sag and that's without a winch on it! It rides really smooth on ruff trails, especially with the front disconnected. My 31s will stuff and clear the Rubicon flares just barely with 15x8 procomp rims. I have a JKS front trac bar that allows for a little more travel but the control arms are still stock. With aftermarket arms, 32s would likely rip off my flares.
01-21-2011 06:27 PM
Ageless Stranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
As for fitment of 32's on the oem rims,I bought the Jeep used and have yet to pull of the wheels,I guess its possible there are spacers behind the wheels Ill see when I do the suspension. Although the wheels dont stick out and there definately is no rubbing. I went ahead and ordered the OME kit for $700 shipped! I researched and agree you usually get what you pay for.

thanks for the info
What kit did you buy and where?
01-21-2011 05:59 PM
styyy As for fitment of 32's on the oem rims,I bought the Jeep used and have yet to pull of the wheels,I guess its possible there are spacers behind the wheels Ill see when I do the suspension. Although the wheels dont stick out and there definately is no rubbing. I went ahead and ordered the OME kit for $700 shipped! I researched and agree you usually get what you pay for.

thanks for the info
01-21-2011 04:37 PM
Ageless Stranger Here's my OME lift. I love it.

01-21-2011 04:13 PM
Loic as soon as the $ is saved, ill get the lift (minus the shock,i already have tem) to replace my BB. i run 31 on my 2" BB and there is plenty of space for 32s.
01-21-2011 03:59 PM
Jp90Talon I ran the OME kit with a 1.25" BL and 1" MML and it worked great with 33x12.5s
01-21-2011 01:40 PM
Rubicon2 I currently am running the OME kit on my 2005 Rubicon and I love it. It works great off-road and rides well on-road. I got the heavy duty springs because I have a hard top and I plan on adding a winch soon. It also works well when I carry gear in the back and doesn't sag but maybe an inch or so with that extra weight. I would highly recommend it for those looking to fit a nice set of 32's who wants to do weekend wheeling but maintain a good daily driver ride.

Edit: For wheels and tires I am running 16x8 Pro-Comp steel wheels wrapped in 32" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. The wheels have 4.25" backspacing so they don't stick way out.
01-21-2011 01:39 PM
BLK00TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by styyy View Post
I have a 1999 Sahara and am in need of new springs and shocks. I bought the jeep used and it came with 32X11.5X15's mounted on OEM 15X8 canyon rims. Im interested in the 2.5" OME(Old Man Emu) kit. Anyone out there have any experience with this setup?
Thanks.
Do you have any rubbing with that tire/rim combo? I didn't think OEMs had enough backspacing for 32s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
I've heard nothing but praise concerning OME. The only downside is $$$$. Although you get what u pay for!!! I'm interested in their 2" lift.
I believe that the 2.5" OME is a 2" with 10mm spacers. I'm going to replace my 2" BB with OME as soon as funds are available. I'll probably go with different spacers to get the extra .5" as I don't care for the yeller colors much on my black Jeep. That's part of the reason I hate my SkyJacker BB (red spacers)
01-21-2011 12:07 PM
Jon M I've heard nothing but praise concerning OME. The only downside is $$$$. Although you get what u pay for!!! I'm interested in their 2" lift.
01-21-2011 11:54 AM
styyy
OME 2.5" Suspension and 32" tires

I have a 1999 Sahara and am in need of new springs and shocks. I bought the jeep used and it came with 32X11.5X15's mounted on OEM 15X8 canyon rims. Im interested in the 2.5" OME(Old Man Emu) kit. Anyone out there have any experience with this setup?
Thanks.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC