|10-06-2011 02:19 PM|
|10-06-2011 02:12 PM|
If I did, I'd be good though...the bottle says there's no need for an additive for LSD.
And yes, plenty of shavings were stuck to the magnet.
I thought I read that it's possible shavings could be floating around in the oil and if so it's best to take off the covers to do a 'proper' oil change?
|10-06-2011 10:21 AM|
|10-06-2011 09:48 AM|
|10-06-2011 09:40 AM|
|Yellow_Fox||I dnt think my diff fluid has ever been changed and my car has 75,000 miles on it. Is that bad?|
|10-06-2011 09:38 AM|
|10-06-2011 09:31 AM|
|KSCRUDE||I have the LSD rear axle, and mobil one and the valvoline syn both claim to have the LSD additive built righ in to their lube.|
|10-06-2011 08:43 AM|
|daggo66||Do you have a LSD in the rear? If so you need an additive unless you use certain synthetics such as Royal Purple. There's no need to check the oil for metal. Any shavings should cling to the magnetic drain plug.|
|10-05-2011 09:32 PM|
|KSCRUDE||I did mine at 4500 miles and the rear really looked nasty. I went with a valvoline 85-140 syn as I think that's required for towing. I ordered the tow package so I put in tow weight oil. I doubt if I will ever tow with this think but I am ready, and besides that's what JIMBOX uses so it must be good!|
|10-05-2011 09:22 PM|
Changed the differential oil today
My Jeep is just passed the 25k mark so I figured I should check the gear oil finally!
I was at the dealer for an oil change recently and they bugged me again about changing the diff. fluids...for $323...I don't think so!
As others on here have said, it's super easy to do as long as you can turn a ratchet!!
I used 3 qts of Lucas HD 80W90. (I know I didn't need HD, but that's all they had in stock and I didn't know when I'd get a free afternoon to do this again)
I decided to go with dino based on some thing's I read on various forums.
Here are a couple of photos:
The rear fluid was pretty dark and a tad thick, like a runny milk shake.
It was a very dark grey, not black as it looks in the photo.
The front fluid was a lot cleaner, as it flowed out it was still a little transparent.
I swirled around the oil in the cups to make sure there were no metal flakes floating around.
Since there were no flakes in the oil, I did not remove the diff. covers this time around. Next change I'll do that most likely.
All in all....a very easy job and glad I finally did it!