Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum > Pro's and Con's of a LJ

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Pro's and Con's of a LJ Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-16-2014 03:17 PM
LJEEPJ I took a train 365 mi to purchase our LJ. I hadn't seen the vehicle, just pics. I had never driven one, but I listened to advice from some of the posters on here ( I was determined to buy a Rubicon TJ in Maryland). A local kid who builds and lives Jeeps told me to buy it now and get on the road in the morning. But, but the Rubicon. He told me if you get the LJ and want to upgrade to Rubi level it will cost you some money....Get the Rubi and want to upgrade to the LJ....nightmare. I am glad I blindly listened to advice..Go get the LJ!!!! My first impressions was coming out of Lancaster County Pa. I was in heaven. When I finally hit I-81 I was blown away at the way it tracked at 75 in 6th gear. That's when I knew I had made the right decision. My props to Stoney Ledge Auto Sales and Dale and Randall.
03-16-2014 12:36 PM
Roadsurfer I have an 05 LJ and it climbs up obstacles without some of the hop that the Tj's have. It rides pretty smooth on the highway.
01-24-2014 11:07 AM
JNew93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboxer View Post
I REALLY like the khaki LJ's... this doesnt look bad at all on the 31's


Attachment 697489

I Love my LJ hade to drive 3 and a half hour for it but worth every mile
01-24-2014 10:38 AM
Turboxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake 7757 View Post
I forgot to add

pros
more room
longer wb

cons
none

I REALLY like the khaki LJ's... this doesnt look bad at all on the 31's
12-11-2013 10:46 AM
idiot magnet My hardtop stayed in storage for 3 years when I lived in Louisiana. Get some door surrounds and a safari top and you'll be golden but don't forget to remove the carpet and drain plugs. Then again I didn't have A/C in my old CJ7 and having the doors off and bikini on helped in that heat. Other staff members at LSU were not happy when I parked in the staff lots even though I was staff. They assumed I was a student and would leave notes on my Jeep that students weren't allowed to park in staff parking lots, but didn't have enough balls to sign their name. LOL Sorry for the rant.

You will enjoy that LJ a ton... I know I enjoy mine.
12-11-2013 10:16 AM
-DMB- When I decided I wanted to buy a used Jeep, everything happened so fast. I mentioned it one day at work and a buddy said that a former co-worker of ours was selling his. I wound up buying it the next day. When I went to look at it, he said it was an Unlimited. I didn't realize just how fortunate I was until after I bought it and started comparing it to regular TJs. For me, the extra space alone is worth it. After wheeling it and driving it around town, the ride is also so much better. He also had a hard top trying to locate a good one is not as issue. The only real drawback for me is that in bone stock configuration, with a hard top on, they look kind of wimpy compared to the shorter TJ. Fortunately, mine was already lifted and modded out when I got it.
12-11-2013 08:25 AM
tylerrelyt101 Pro: LJ's come stock with a Dana 44 in the rear.
05-12-2013 12:53 AM
The2000Yankees Here's a link for a nice custom LJ for sale:

FOR SALE: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ - YouTube
12-17-2012 12:15 AM
Jerry Bransford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
A few things.

Recommending to someone to disconnect both of their sway bars is poor practice. Learn what they actually do before making such a bad recommendation. I'm not a fan of disconnecting the front sway bar, let alone both.

You're actually a fan of one of the top ten worst designs ever created? Because that's what I would call the three piece sway bar links. Two pins = two sets of holes to line up. If you're going to hamper yourself by running the stock front sway bar with quick disconnect links, at least make it easy on yourself. The rear should remain connected with correct-length solid links.
X2 on all of that. Especially on it being highly detrimental to offroad suspension performance to disconnect both anti-swaybars.
12-16-2012 09:03 PM
bandman Pro: I can fit two full size tubas in the back and close the gate!
12-14-2012 01:37 PM
Imped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderslug View Post
I am able to go full articulation with my anti-sway bars disconnected. Front and rear. I have double pin sway bar disconnects on the front and rear that allow me to simply remove the pins and remove the center rod of the sway bar disconnects. I prefer this design over the ones that only allow one pin to be removed.
The Metal Cloak fenders allow the front end to max out on the bump stops and still not get into the body. I run the recommended bump stops for my shock length. The rear doesn't really seem to have any issues either. I wheel pretty hard and don't have any rubbing problems.
Metal Cloak fenders are pretty pricey. You may try a body lift to reduce the rubbing problem. I don't really know much about that though. I haven't ever done a body lift.
I hope this helps.---Ladderslug
A few things.

Recommending to someone to disconnect both of their sway bars is poor practice. Learn what they actually do before making such a bad recommendation. I'm not a fan of disconnecting the front sway bar, let alone both.

You're actually a fan of one of the top ten worst designs ever created? Because that's what I would call the three piece sway bar links. Two pins = two sets of holes to line up. If you're going to hamper yourself by running the stock front sway bar with quick disconnect links, at least make it easy on yourself. The rear should remain connected with correct-length solid links.
12-14-2012 12:54 PM
Ladderslug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmercertx View Post
When you say "full articulation" do you mean with or without sway bar? I ask because I have an LJ with Pro Comp 4" Short Arm lift and 35's. When I put sway bar disconnects on recently I am having lots of rubbing issues on factory fenders.

I am able to go full articulation with my anti-sway bars disconnected. Front and rear. I have double pin sway bar disconnects on the front and rear that allow me to simply remove the pins and remove the center rod of the sway bar disconnects. I prefer this design over the ones that only allow one pin to be removed.
The Metal Cloak fenders allow the front end to max out on the bump stops and still not get into the body. I run the recommended bump stops for my shock length. The rear doesn't really seem to have any issues either. I wheel pretty hard and don't have any rubbing problems.
Metal Cloak fenders are pretty pricey. You may try a body lift to reduce the rubbing problem. I don't really know much about that though. I haven't ever done a body lift.
I hope this helps.---Ladderslug
12-13-2012 08:54 AM
ninjaturtle0 both TJ and LJ are badass's.

Pro is the extra room if you need it especially if you don't own a pick up plus they are rare and in years to come they will be worth some good cash compared to TJ's.

Con for me is I'm not the greatest when it comes to longer vehicles.. had bad experiences with trucks and plus it won't fit in my small garage lol.
12-13-2012 07:38 AM
Imped You make it sound like bump stops are a bad thing. They're an integral part of your suspension and need to be adjusted properly, given your constraints. If you want more up usable up travel, do what it takes. That involves a lot more than just running shorter bump stops.
12-13-2012 06:56 AM
cmercertx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Those fancy sway bar links did nothing for you. Not having the sway bar links attached did.

Bump stops. Yours aren't set right.
I'm quite aware that bump stops would stop the rubbing. I'm also aware that they would limit my articulation. That's why I directed my question to an individual with a similar setup (plus tube fenders) to see if he could fully articulate (no extra bump stop) because that is my goal.
12-12-2012 11:07 AM
Imped
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmercertx View Post
When you say "full articulation" do you mean with or without sway bar? I ask because I have an LJ with Pro Comp 4" Short Arm lift and 35's. When I put sway bar disconnects on recently I am having lots of rubbing issues on factory fenders.
Those fancy sway bar links did nothing for you. Not having the sway bar links attached did.

Bump stops. Yours aren't set right.
12-12-2012 11:04 AM
cmercertx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderslug View Post
No. I don't have any interference. I have had it in full articulation quite a few times and haven't had any problems. I run 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on ProComp steel rims. I have Smitty bilt bumpers front and rear. The Metal Cloak fenders are the answer.
When you say "full articulation" do you mean with or without sway bar? I ask because I have an LJ with Pro Comp 4" Short Arm lift and 35's. When I put sway bar disconnects on recently I am having lots of rubbing issues on factory fenders.
12-12-2012 10:33 AM
Old Dogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon View Post






You are really reaching.
YES I AM, BECAUSE I HAVE LONG ARMS!!!
12-12-2012 09:26 AM
UnlimitedRubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
I believe that it is called a Hurst.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
The bottom line is geometrically it looks out of proportion and is not very pleasing to the eye ... well what about your JK, because it is also longer, yes it is but it is also wider more geometrically in proportion.

You are really reaching.
12-11-2012 08:17 PM
SurfKaster Still a fan
12-11-2012 08:11 PM
04sti20
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
You should be proud of that one, because did a great job of improving the appearance!!!!!!!!!
Haha. I am thanks. I need flat fenders, that's my next mod. I have a 2.5 bb lift with 33's
12-11-2012 04:54 PM
D2K47 I can't imagine any cons for a tj that would get me to think twice not to get it, wish Jeep made lj's in the 90's ... Boy did they snooze or what?
12-11-2012 02:27 PM
Old Dogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sti20 View Post
All pros for me. I've only had mine for almost a year and I love it. I do like the 4door Jk's better but I couldn't afford it at the time. I didn't even know what a lj was either at the time of purchase. I love having extra room inside. Here's a pic.
You should be proud of that one, because did a great job of improving the appearance!!!!!!!!!
12-11-2012 02:05 PM
04sti20 All pros for me. I've only had mine for almost a year and I love it. I do like the 4door Jk's better but I couldn't afford it at the time. I didn't even know what a lj was either at the time of purchase. I love having extra room inside. Here's a pic.
12-11-2012 12:54 PM
DarthLEGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The LJ aesthetics improve drastically once you get some air under the belly, some tire under it and some width. The ass end behind the tires is still way too much for me personally but it can definitely be remedied.
Couldn't agree more on the "air." I bought mine entirely stock 8 months ago at an awesome deal that I couldn't pass up (2006 with only 30k miles). But I agree, something always, looked a little off. But I knew it was temporary.

But After a 3" lift along with 33x12.5 tires, she has a completely different personality.

Pros... I have 3 large dogs, with a 4th on the way, and they all fit comfortably. Shopping trips are not a problem if I need to get something large. The looks I get because she is not common.

Cons... She has a big a$$. (But that is OK, I am an a$$ man). Gas mileage. Parts can sometimes be hard to find or more costly. Because she is not common.
12-11-2012 11:41 AM
Imped The LJ aesthetics improve drastically once you get some air under the belly, some tire under it and some width. The ass end behind the tires is still way too much for me personally but it can definitely be remedied.

A prime example
12-11-2012 11:29 AM
Old Dogger I don't own a LJ, but do own a 2003 TJ X and A 2012 jk Rubicon, but I have driven my friends LJ Rubicon back in the woods and some rock crawl. I will give you a honest evaluation, of which some won't agree with, but that's O.K. We are here to advise one another on our experiences and opinions, but the intent is not to hurt any body's feeling, but rather just good constructive conversation! If there are some that don't like my choice of a TJ X and a JK Rubicon well that's also O.K.
So for the LJ, well it depends on your main goal, is it appearance, functionality, or both?
Let's talk about appearance. To me it is too long and narrow and reminds me of something that you would see in a funeral procession, I believe that it is called a Hurst. The bottom line is geometrically it looks out of proportion and is not very pleasing to the eye, this is why I didn't purchase one, but there are a lot of them for sale on craig's list in my area. You may ask, well what about your JK, because it is also longer, yes it is but it is also wider more geometrically in proportion.
Now let's talk about the pluses, if functionality is your main goal, then it is very hard to beat! 4.0 engine, Dana 44 rear, not much of a driveline vibration issue when lifting, because of the longer drive shaft, much smoother ride than a TJ, more stability, more cargo space and finally just plainly more comfortable to ride in for both you and your passenger.
Good Luck in your decision!!!
12-10-2012 10:09 PM
badtux
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama6banger View Post
that is probably bs. i have 35's on my lj and the best i have ever gotten was 10 mpg on the highway. the only con i the same amount of power but more weight. other than that it's amazing.
I got around 17mpg highway with 32's and 3.73 gearing on an LJ with 2.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift, and around 12mpg city. Of course it was utterly gutless with that tall of gearing even with 32" tires...
12-10-2012 09:01 PM
bama6banger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro35089 View Post
My buddy has an 06 LJ Rubi and he loves that thing. Gas milage is around 20 on the highway and he's running 32s. The front seat is pushed back an inch or two so you have more leg room. We did some off roading in CO and he had some clearance issues on really tall rocks that I breezed over in my TJ but not a big deal
that is probably bs. i have 35's on my lj and the best i have ever gotten was 10 mpg on the highway. the only con i the same amount of power but more weight. other than that it's amazing.
02-29-2012 08:17 PM
clarkkent [QUOTE= But valuable to jeepers in the north.[/QUOTE]

I have a soft top up in Montana It does just fine
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC