Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion > Backing up

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Backing up Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-22-2008 09:34 PM
debruins thanks dare, thats a very helpful review!!!! ;-)
01-22-2008 05:39 PM
4.0l sahara Wow!

You say you don't use your mirrors because you don't want to adjust them. So why don't you not be so lazy take 1 or 2 minuts and adjust them? It's for your own good if you use them. There there for a reason.
01-22-2008 04:56 PM
Dare2BSquare pimpmyride.com

too much.
01-22-2008 04:45 PM
lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange05tj View Post
Get these...

what website did you find those on?
How much do they run?
01-22-2008 04:44 PM
Dare2BSquare
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
what do you guys think about the things that arent cameras but tell you how far you are away from something? anybody have on of those? would it catch something skinny or does it ahve to be like a car

GIVE IT UP, DUDE!

JUST WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!!
01-22-2008 04:16 PM
debruins i agree there are those damn old people that go ssooo slloowww and then the people who.........











oh wait you meant me
01-22-2008 04:09 PM
whiteyj
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
ok true i could walk around my jeepe very time i back up, but is there an easier way, or should i just cross my fingers and pray there isnt anyhting less than 3 feet tall back there, becuase im not gonna do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
How much easier than walking around your jeep does it have to be?
and there are those that just shouldn't drive........
01-22-2008 04:05 PM
debruins mhm that makes sense becasue tehy ahd lights at the house on so i coulda seen there driveway lit up a little but the road wasnt,

what do you guys think about the things that arent cameras but tell you how far you are away from something? anybody have on of those? would it catch something skinny or does it ahve to be like a car
01-22-2008 03:59 PM
rebelBullDawg325 it might also hap to back in debruins. you're still having to back up. but at least when you're leaving and its darker out you'll be able to see in front of you
01-22-2008 01:42 PM
MOz Same here... No offense intended.

Be aware of your surroundings BEFORE and when you get behind the wheel. Turn the cell phone off and lower the radio. There are way too many distractions these days for younger drivers.

Think of it this way, what if had been a kid or your maybe your girlfriend? There would be nothing you could say or do to change anything. You would have to live with it the rest of your life.

You got a real cheap lesson and a rude wake up call. Most life lessons are not that cheap.

Learn from it and move on.
01-22-2008 01:40 PM
kg4kpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
The best way to work with these situations is just to know your surroundings. The more you drive you will notice that you pay a lot more attention to everything that is going on around you. When I drive down a street I notice where every car is parked every trash can, mailbox, etc..... It all comes with age and experience. Yeah, I'm sure that most of us have nudged something in our driveways, garages, curbs etc.... No one is perfect, but as you've stated about worrying in case children or pets are near. You drive a modified vehicle and there should be extra steps taken to ensure you are being a safe driver.

Just go get some convoy training, spend a year in Iraq watching every dark spot or window on the side of the road for bombs, RPG's, snipers, cute kids with hand granades to toss out into the road. I don't think I miss (no pun intended) anything anymore. Hell, even in rush hour traffic I find myself searching for good escape routes.
I'm still not sure how you backed out of the same place you pulled into and hit something, unless you turned your wheel too soon coming out. For 89 bucks (SC Wal-mart) I've been wanting one of those camera's, seems like a good buy with all the blind spots a soft top can cause.
01-22-2008 01:32 PM
Levinoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post

I'm sorry you're offended but I'd rather you get offended than hurt.
I actually like you.
Exactly ^----


~Lev
01-22-2008 01:30 PM
MOz GLASSES........maybe you need GLASSES (and a rubber bumper)..

Did everybody miss that one?
01-22-2008 12:48 PM
hardy1531 As far as your orignal question on how to fix the problem.... I onyl have one suggestion, get out and look. I drive a 75foot ladder truck for the fire department. It is one of the biggest trucks I have ever driven. Our roads are a tight squeeze when you are in your personal vehicle. At work we have a SOP, (standard operating procedure) before the vehicel is put into drive you do a complete 360 of it. No questions. Everytime. I do it in my personal vehicle too. My cousin was killed by her dad b/c he thought mom had her and mom thought he had her. He backed over her. That is extremly sad. So again my only advice is to get out and look, it will never fail like a camera.


OBTW. did you happen to call the local fire department and tell them you hit the hydrant? I know it probally didn't look like you did any damage but it can break the steam inside of it and now it might not open. That would really suck if the houses around there catch fire and they need that hydrant.
just give them a call and they can check it out. If you are afraid of getting into trouble, sorry but you did the action. I would rather get into a little trouble now then if the house caught on fire and someone got killed. plus if they found out afterwards, you could go to jail for tampering with a fire hydrant.

hardy
01-22-2008 10:39 AM
skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowa View Post
hey hes 16 year old.. i been in tons of crashes at that age.. time and experience will do good
If he lives long enough.
Have you ever sat in a snow storm in the middle of nowhere for 2 hours covered in the blood of a teenager trying to keep him alive while the husband of the woman he killed is laying on the ground screaming for his wife?
It makes it really hard to listen to adults excuse stupidity by saying "he's a kid, he'll learn from trial and error"
Sorry, taking a firm stand and teaching them the right way the first time is much less painful for everyone involved.
01-22-2008 10:34 AM
Dare2BSquare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Quoted again for the record.
There's a record?

Oh, crap!
01-22-2008 10:33 AM
skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
im just getting a little annoyed by your answers do i need to get another name when i want to post questions?
No, simply don't start your questions with statements that you won't do this or you won't do that. Especially when this or that is the right thing to do.
Contrary to popular belief, teenagers don't actually know everything. I know that gets frustrating to hear all the time because, believe it or not, I was a teenager not that long ago. I still remember how often I heard the same thing and I remember how frustrated I got with it, but you know what? they were right.

Quote:
i dont think you are quite getting it, it was 11 at night when i pulled in so my headlights when i pulled in didnt catch the fire hydrant b/c i wasnt looking for it from like 50 feet away when my headlights go off to the side more, yet you assumed i just wasnt paying any attention while driving,
You weren't paying attention. I don't assume it, you admit it.
You knew you had to back out, you should have scanned for obstacles on your way in. That's one of the first things I teach my students. Always plan your way out or don't go in.
Quote:
next even if i had taken your advice about getting out adn walking around i wouldnt have seen the hydrant, i was all the way up the driveway so the fire hydrant was about 60 feet back so i wouldnt have seen that even if i had gotten out my flachlight and looked around, i woulda had to walk all the way down the driveway, also think about how it is half hidden in a snow bank and the only part about the snow bank was the white top,
How were we supposed to think about the fire hydrant being buried in a snow bank and painted white when this is the first time you've mentioned the color of the hydrant, or anything about snow?

Quote:
then i never got out so those of you who are talking about walking around when you get into your jeep, i never got out, also should i make a poll about those of you who every time you put your car in reverse you get out walk around and fix your mirrors? no one does
that
Wrong. I always scan the area around my vehicle before getting in to make sure I'm clear. My mirrors are good because I adjust mirrors if they need it before driving. That's the first thing you supposed to do when you get in the vehicle. Adjust seats and mirrors before you even start the engine. It's right there in every drivers manual I've ever seen.
Quote:
and then about the side view mirrors getting messed up, even when they are perfectly fixed they would not point in that direction,
Nonsense, if your mirrors are adjusted properly the blind spot behind you should not extend more than about 20 feet behind you. You did say you were backing up right? you weren't sliding sideways and just forgot to mention that ?


Quote:
just because im 16 you all assume i suck at driving and give me general tips, about fixing mirrors and how to park, i was only asking how YOU can see what is below and behind you, not for you guys to talk to me like im 5 and dont know what the hell im talking about
Wrong again, I don't assume you suck at anything, in fact I assume you're fairly intelligent and could be very good at anything you do if you'd just get rid of the ridiculous attitude that you know everything.
You screwed up, the only person responsible for your accident is you.
I'm not claiming to be perfect, we all make mistakes at times but when we do we need to realize what we did wrong and correct our actions in the future.
Just a couple weeks ago Amy posted about me running her Jeep into the front porch, I got lazy and did something really stupid that put her Jeep, our house and myself in danger. I learned from that and will never try to start her Jeep without planting my ass in the drivers seat again.

Quote:
and btw skeeter it takes more than a minute to fix the mirrors, i have to get out, walk around to the outside and then fix it then walk back sit in the seat and see how it is, then get back out and walk around, it takes about 5-6 times each side, so about 2-3 minutes since i dont have windows that open
Bull, I'm a fat lazy middle aged man and I can heave my ass over to reach out and make an adjustment. You're a young, physically fit kid that plays hockey. It should be easy for you. I don't buy this crap about your windows won't open but even if they don't, I guarantee my fat ass can get the job done in under a minute, want me to video me doing it to prove you wrong?
You also don't need to get out and walk around to do all your mirrors. you only have one on the other side, the other two can be reached from the drivers seat without effort, or are you going to claim that both of your windows are screwed up?
Besides, what kind of kinky sex are you getting into that your passengers can screw up your driver side mirrors getting out of your Jeep if you didn't get out?

Quote:
and i dont need the personal attacks about me being arrogant, im just saying that most of these things you would never do and im looking for some easy fixes, you all know i dont have $400 to spend on a backing up system if you know me that well to call me arrognat little kid
I didn't suggest you buy anything. I firmly believe that the factory mirrors do just fine if you make an effort to use them properly. They have been doing fine for people since mirrors were first mounted on cars. They've been doing fine for people that drive vehicles with far larger blind spots than you have in your Jeep.
All I'm saying is learn to use the equipment you have properly and you won't have a problem. If you can't see where you're going, get out and look.
Oh, and don't back over snow banks if you don't know what's in them.

Quote:
please show a little respect next time guys
I take driving very seriously, I've seen the death and destruction that happens when people don't far too often to not take it seriously.
I've spent the night covered in the blood of a teenager that thought he knew everything. He has to live the rest of his life remembering the wife and mother he killed because he was wrong.
Don't ask me not to call you on it when you state that you're going to do something dangerous on the public roads just because you don't feel like doing things the right way.
I won't condone putting others at risk, or excuse it by saying "he's just a kid, he'll grow out of it"
Too many kids don't live to grow out of it. too many times they take somebody else with em, and way too many times over the last 20 years, I've had to see it first hand.

I'm sorry you're offended but I'd rather you get offended than hurt.
I actually like you.
01-22-2008 10:11 AM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
I remember a thread about backing into little cars but anyways i couldnt find it.....

last night i backed up into a fire hydrant, it didnt do that much damage, just a foot long indent in the rear bumper that is about 1 in deep and 1/4 across

but im wondering how all you guys avoid this, because there was no way i was gonna see it, the top only came up to abut the bottom of my spare and even if my side view mirrors were tilted all the way in, i only backed up 5 feet so i still wouldnt have seen it, how do you guys avoid this, besides like getting out and looking, but im not gonna do that at 11 at night!
Quoted again for the record.
01-22-2008 09:49 AM
tiny terror You said the hydrant was about 60ft back? What happened to 5? And earlier you stated that you were actually off the road? Maybe you need brighter backing lights.
01-22-2008 08:28 AM
foxinthemudd bruins, I accept the fact that your 16, not as a fault sorry if it came out like that. but when someone gives you a simple suggestion at least have the respect to say thank you for that but I already tried it or it really just won't work for me. the back-up camera idea was a suggestion, I never said go out and buy it, simply a suggestion.

another thing if your going to get mad about all of our suggestions or comments don't ask. you never gave us all the details about how the hydrant was hidden or how far it was back behind you. we have all been 16 at one time or another we know how it goes too. there are no easy fixes to something like this just the knowledge of "oops it happened" now how can I learn to fix it in the future. we all take jabs at each other at one time or another but when someone can't take a suggestion or help from another without getting hostile then why would we not defend our answers or opinions. we want you to drive safe just how we want everyone else on here to drive safe as well. we were all telling you how WE look at whats behind us and how WE drive.

BTW here are two camera systems that I pulled from the net for you if your intrested. I'm sure you can find others at a better price that you could install yourself.

http://sewelldirect.com/VRBCS300W-wi...kup-camera.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WINPLUS-WIRE...QQcmdZViewItem
01-22-2008 08:22 AM
cherokee980 tension.....it's building.....
01-22-2008 07:31 AM
debruins im just getting a little annoyed by your answers do i need to get another name when i want to post questions?

i dont think you are quite getting it, it was 11 at night when i pulled in so my headlights when i pulled in didnt catch the fire hydrant b/c i wasnt looking for it from like 50 feet away when my headlights go off to the side more, yet you assumed i just wasnt paying any attention while driving, next even if i had taken your advice about getting out adn walking around i wouldnt have seen the hydrant, i was all the way up the driveway so the fire hydrant was about 60 feet back so i wouldnt have seen that even if i had gotten out my flachlight and looked around, i woulda had to walk all the way down the driveway, also think about how it is half hidden in a snow bank and the only part about the snow bank was the white top, then i never got out so those of you who are talking about walking around when you get into your jeep, i never got out, also should i make a poll about those of you who every time you put your car in reverse you get out walk around and fix your mirrors? no one does
that
and then about the side view mirrors getting messed up, even when they are perfectly fixed they would not point in that direction, just because im 16 you all assume i suck at driving and give me general tips, about fixing mirrors and how to park, i was only asking how YOU can see what is below and behind you, not for you guys to talk to me like im 5 and dont know what the hell im talking about

and rebel thanks for taking me seriously

and btw skeeter it takes more than a minute to fix the mirrors, i have to get out, walk around to the outside and then fix it then walk back sit in the seat and see how it is, then get back out and walk around, it takes about 5-6 times each side, so about 2-3 minutes since i dont have windows that open
and i dont need the personal attacks about me being arrogant, im just saying that most of these things you would never do and im looking for some easy fixes, you all know i dont have $400 to spend on a backing up system if you know me that well to call me arrognat little kid

please show a little respect next time guys
01-22-2008 02:43 AM
chezuki I am 27 and have only been in one minor fender bender in my life. Even then, I had enough awareness of my surroundings during a skid to assess my oprions. To swerve left was a head on collision with an explorer, right was a pedestrian on the shoulder, so I chose to rear end the stalled car ahead of me. Hydrants never sneak up on me. Safe driving is learned by caution and awareness, not trial and error.
01-22-2008 12:56 AM
foxinthemudd
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
haha did u miss the whole point of the thread? it doesnt work fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowa View Post
hey hes 16 year old.. i been in tons of crashes at that age.. time and experience will do good
at 16 I had been in no crashes, but have had plenty in my driving years. all this still doesn't negate the fact that he can take some advice and say, ok maybe I'll try that. If I had ever said stuff like what is above to my elders around my parents or even my grandparents I would have gotten slapped!

I under stand the point of this thread perfectly... you were being lazy and reckless causing damage to your own vehicle thankfully not to anyone elses peoperty or god forbid another person... take some advice Bruins I know your young but try to listen to people at somepoint in your life it actually might help improve something.
01-22-2008 12:50 AM
bpowa hey hes 16 year old.. i been in tons of crashes at that age.. time and experience will do good
01-22-2008 12:47 AM
foxinthemudd
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
Debruins is an arrogant know it all kid that constantly claims he knows best and won't listen to advice given by those who obviously have more experience and training.
He starts off by saying he's too damn lazy to be safe by simply getting out and looking. He goes on later to say he can't use his mirrors because he's too damn lazy to adjust em before driving. Both of those are safety items taught to new drivers to keep them from killing other with stupidity.
Debruins has a long history here of stating what he's willing and unwilling to do because by god he knows best already.

Then fix the damn things!!! it takes less than freaking minute to reach over and fix the mirrors. That will make you much safer driving forward as well as back. There's no excuse except laziness not to fix your mirrors before driving just as there's no excuse except laziness for not checking behind you before backing.
I drive a truck with a 14 foot tall, 8foot wide blind spot behind me, I've been doing for 20 years without hitting anything, I've taught dozens of other drivers to do it without hitting anything and by god if they wouldn't get their lazy asses out to look before backing they didn't get passed my class.
If you can't see with your mirrors or by looking out the back then get out, you might save a life.

Besides, Had Debruins been paying attention as he should, he would have seen the fire hydrant when he pulled in. It didn't sneak up on him.
case rested... thanks skeet
01-21-2008 11:39 PM
skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelBullDawg325 View Post
ok, wow, i just read the hole thread and not to take sides here. but it does seem that the majoirty of you were against debruins from the start of it. not even asking how far awy the hydrant was or anything like. automatically assuming he backed 5 feet off the street to hit the hydrant he illegally parked in front of. which, according to his story, none of yall are right. i also dont see where he has discounted every piece of "help" offered. the only thing he said he wasnt gonna do was walk around his jeep everytime he gets ready to go. how many of us do that anyways? be honest. the rest of the "help" that was offered seemed to come in a very negative fasion which, more often than not, is rejected just because how it was served up. stop being down on him for being a kid with less expierence than most of yall, and give him the credit for coming to yall for help. most teens could care less, esp this day in age.
Debruins is an arrogant know it all kid that constantly claims he knows best and won't listen to advice given by those who obviously have more experience and training.
He starts off by saying he's too damn lazy to be safe by simply getting out and looking. He goes on later to say he can't use his mirrors because he's too damn lazy to adjust em before driving. Both of those are safety items taught to new drivers to keep them from killing other with stupidity.
Debruins has a long history here of stating what he's willing and unwilling to do because by god he knows best already.
Quote:
back to the question, debruins, you said you dont use you're mirrors bc they are oftne mis-located. i understand that bc it happens to me all the time.
Then fix the damn things!!! it takes less than freaking minute to reach over and fix the mirrors. That will make you much safer driving forward as well as back. There's no excuse except laziness not to fix your mirrors before driving just as there's no excuse except laziness for not checking behind you before backing.
I drive a truck with a 14 foot tall, 8foot wide blind spot behind me, I've been doing for 20 years without hitting anything, I've taught dozens of other drivers to do it without hitting anything and by god if they wouldn't get their lazy asses out to look before backing they didn't get passed my class.
If you can't see with your mirrors or by looking out the back then get out, you might save a life.

Besides, Had Debruins been paying attention as he should, he would have seen the fire hydrant when he pulled in. It didn't sneak up on him.
01-21-2008 11:32 PM
Levinoss Just have to be aware of things around you. I don't just jump into my jeep and go and likewise when I get out.

I make it a ritual of casually looking at my tires and around my jeep when I get out and when I get back in.

Don't feel bad about smacking the fire hydrant tho, I did it about a week ago as well. We have one in a VERY odd spot next to my driveway. My driveway leads right into a blind hill of a busy road so you HAVE to turn before you exit or you will probably get hit.

The hydrant sits right in the spot where you turn around and if you don't pay attention you will hit it almost every time. I kinda use it at a marker of when Iv gone too far...lol.

Being aware of your surroundings is very VERY crucial. Things can happen if you are not aware of everything around you. My cousins aunt accidentally ran over her niece not looking, She had just came back from the farmers market and went into her sisters home for a short period of time. One of her sisters children had went outside to look in the back of her van to see if she had got any strawberries and had fell and knocked her self out. This was a little girl I cant remember how old she was it's been a few years.

When she got ready to go she jumped into the van and backed out not knowing her niece was under the vehicle. I shouldn't have to go into anymore detail but long story short just have to be aware.

~Lev
01-21-2008 11:22 PM
Scout How about this: When you park your Jeep and get out, take a look around and see if you've parked close to something that you might hit when you leave. Also when you do decide to leave take another little gander and make sure nothing else popped its little head up behind your rig before you back out.

It's kinda like when you park in a parking lot and you decide to drive forward out of your parking space. You don't just drive forward without looking. You make sure there isn't one of those parking blocks in front of you with a big ass piece of rebar sticking out that will damage your Jeep or your tires. Same logic just a different circumstance.
01-21-2008 11:16 PM
dwdrums801 still if you get out and look around your jeep and dont see a kid cause hes still up n his driveway by the time u climb back in he can be directly behind your jeep
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC