Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion > is a rubicon worth it?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: is a rubicon worth it? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-02-2012 04:02 PM
strider_mt2k After spending hours beneath my brother's Ranger helping him build it up to where other Rangers were already, it really helped me to decide that I didn't want that fate for myself.

-oddly enough, this is the brother that counseled me to "always get exactly what you want" to avoid ending up doing stuff like that, but he was bitten hard by the bug at the time and wouldn't be stopped...until hydro-locking his engine did that for him.

For me, the Rubicon was the only thing that was worth it.
This thing is tricked out enough to keep me happy while I'm paying it off.
01-02-2012 02:34 PM
SirGeorgeKillian It isn't so much that one intends on making their rig a hard core trail rig. Man, how many times have we seen someone buy a set of seat covers for their new Jeep and order a lift the next week?

A rig doesn't have to be too hardcore to break 44's. But I see your point as well
01-02-2012 02:03 PM
Ibuildembig
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
Speaking as someone who went from a Rubicon to a Sport I will chime in...

The Rubicon is a great starting platform if you don't plan on getting too crazy. The push button lockers alone is worth it's weight in gold. You can lift them, put bigger tires on, do what ever you want. Until you get to a point that the D44's become the weak point. In my opinion once you get to the point that you are looking at doing an axle swap, you just defeated the purpose of starting with a Rubi. There are all kinds of things you can do without getting to this point, like Jimbo's rig, perfect example of when starting with a Rubicon is a good idea.
Now take my Jeep for example. there is literally nothing stock under the frame rails. If my Jeep would have started out as a Rubi, it would have been a waist of money, because everything (except the 4:1 xfer case) on my Jeep is better than what came on a Rubi from the factory. I will agree that if you have the money to put into it, I would take a Sport over a Rubi any day of the week. But if you are looking for something that is a beast stock, and can turn into an almost unstoppable monster without emptying your life savings, then your choice is already made for you...
Good point, but the way I see it is this....if you are "hardcore" enough to break the stock 44 axles, you need something other than a modded new jk. Money would be better served getting an older TJ or YJ for a toy and using the money you save on a new JK to buy a truck and trailer to pull it to the trails. I have seen it over and over and I cannot wrap my head around why anyone would buy a brand new jeep and try to make it a hardcore rig and totally waste it in the process.
01-02-2012 01:39 PM
JIMBOX Very well said SGK and the only thing also worth its weight in gold, is the NV241OR (4/1) Rock-Trac xfer case, that, the auto/5.38 gears and lockers make tree climbing while pulling a trailer--an ordinary jaunt !


Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
Speaking as someone who went from a Rubicon to a Sport I will chime in...

The Rubicon is a great starting platform if you don't plan on getting too crazy. The push button lockers alone is worth it's weight in gold. You can lift them, put bigger tires on, do what ever you want. Until you get to a point that the D44's become the weak point. In my opinion once you get to the point that you are looking at doing an axle swap, you just defeated the purpose of starting with a Rubi. There are all kinds of things you can do without getting to this point, like Jimbo's rig, perfect example of when starting with a Rubicon is a good idea.
Now take my Jeep for example. there is literally nothing stock under the frame rails. If my Jeep would have started out as a Rubi, it would have been a waist of money, because everything (except the 4:1 xfer case) on my Jeep is better than what came on a Rubi from the factory. I will agree that if you have the money to put into it, I would take a Sport over a Rubi any day of the week. But if you are looking for something that is a beast stock, and can turn into an almost unstoppable monster without emptying your life savings, then your choice is already made for you...
Keepyerpowderdry

JIMBO
01-02-2012 01:30 PM
SirGeorgeKillian Speaking as someone who went from a Rubicon to a Sport I will chime in...

The Rubicon is a great starting platform if you don't plan on getting too crazy. The push button lockers alone is worth it's weight in gold. You can lift them, put bigger tires on, do what ever you want. Until you get to a point that the D44's become the weak point. In my opinion once you get to the point that you are looking at doing an axle swap, you just defeated the purpose of starting with a Rubi. There are all kinds of things you can do without getting to this point, like Jimbo's rig, perfect example of when starting with a Rubicon is a good idea.
Now take my Jeep for example. there is literally nothing stock under the frame rails. If my Jeep would have started out as a Rubi, it would have been a waist of money, because everything (except the 4:1 xfer case) on my Jeep is better than what came on a Rubi from the factory. I will agree that if you have the money to put into it, I would take a Sport over a Rubi any day of the week. But if you are looking for something that is a beast stock, and can turn into an almost unstoppable monster without emptying your life savings, then your choice is already made for you...
01-02-2012 12:28 PM
JIMBOX Happy New Year-


Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I stand by my statement, which is this: If you don't NEED a Rubicon, you're better off buying something else and modifying it to suit your personal needs.

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not in any way questioning your need for a Rubicon, Jimbo. As far as I can tell, you're one of the few people on this entire forum who spends the majority of his time offroad. I absolutely respect that. But I believe that there are too many people who THINK they have a need for a Rubicon, because of the hype, and subsequently may be spending money that would serve them better in other areas.

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, here. After all, I did once spray Lemon Pledge on an armadillo, for godsakes.

May your 2012 wheeling be straight, true, comfortable and fuel-efficient! Or straight and true, anyway.
Heh Heh, man you're right on, thats why I don't offer info to 90% of the posts--my jeep use is different than that 90% of users and my trailer is unlike 99.9% of the jeepers on this forum


You may think I'm crazy--NOPE, just a little different/w different background and lifestyle !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
Its always worth it for resale value alone. But 16K of addons? I don't have that in my GE project and my truggy put together.
That may be conservative too-I've added about $1600 of mods to the trailer-

There ain't no reason forit-it's just the way we doit-

JIMBO
01-02-2012 12:25 PM
Ibuildembig I dont either but having several new rubis in the family, they resale alot higher and faster than a standard one will.
01-02-2012 12:09 PM
Ballandchain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
Its always worth it for resale value alone. But 16K of addons? I don't have that in my GE project and my truggy put together.
I guess. I never buy sports cars or Jeeps used. No telling what the idiot before you did to it.
01-02-2012 11:33 AM
Ibuildembig Its always worth it for resale value alone. But 16K of addons? I don't have that in my GE project and my truggy put together.
01-02-2012 11:28 AM
Ballandchain It's only worth it if you use the features that you are paying for. But if you do/will, then it is........
01-01-2012 10:26 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
NOPE kb--very straight words and I've said this many a time--You don't need a reason to buy a Rubicon--YOU HAVE TO WANT ONE and then the reasons you boughtit FOR will "BITE" you, or you'll be "Happy as a Clam"--thats ME !

However I won't buy the statement-"all you gotta do is buy a SPORT, then modify it better than a Rubi"

Nope. I'll never buy that statement either, whatever the price.

To do that (probably 15%) of those that profess that, actually doit--you've gotta be mechanically inclined/have lotta money/have lotta time/never travel alone--

Absolutely correct. And I left that out of my advice, to my chagrin. Time, money, and mechanical skill are all necessary components to such an endeavor. Plus, you should probably be divorced before starting such a project...

A stock Sport can Navigate 90% of the Rubicon--ya gotta run what ya brung and decide just how you wannt use your JEEP--then make the decision and STICKTOIT !

JIMBO
I stand by my statement, which is this: If you don't NEED a Rubicon, you're better off buying something else and modifying it to suit your personal needs.

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not in any way questioning your need for a Rubicon, Jimbo. As far as I can tell, you're one of the few people on this entire forum who spends the majority of his time offroad. I absolutely respect that. But I believe that there are too many people who THINK they have a need for a Rubicon, because of the hype, and subsequently may be spending money that would serve them better in other areas.

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, here. After all, I did once spray Lemon Pledge on an armadillo, for godsakes.

May your 2012 wheeling be straight, true, comfortable and fuel-efficient! Or straight and true, anyway.
01-01-2012 09:00 PM
kjeeper10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingjeeper
Medic..when you said new do you mean brand spankin ordered from the factory new or just new to you? I had an 89 Sahara and loved it. The reason I don't have any more is that a drunk driver thought it would make a great thing to use as a stopper. My fault I guess by parking in my driveway. I used what little blood one gets from the stone and searched for a few months and bought an 07 unmoded Rubi Unlimited. Love it even more! I don't need the capabilities most of the time however I have them if/or when I NEED them. I subscribe to the school of thought of never bring a knife to a gunfight and its always a good idea to kill ants with a sledgehammer. As stated by others have fun with whatever you decide.
Agree my friend.

Best of both worlds, well cared for used Rubi 10k less then a new one

Saved money have a Rubi and still have money to upgrade

But now I am cheap and don't want to spend it
01-01-2012 08:40 PM
Divingjeeper Medic..when you said new do you mean brand spankin ordered from the factory new or just new to you? I had an 89 Sahara and loved it. The reason I don't have any more is that a drunk driver thought it would make a great thing to use as a stopper. My fault I guess by parking in my driveway. I used what little blood one gets from the stone and searched for a few months and bought an 07 unmoded Rubi Unlimited. Love it even more! I don't need the capabilities most of the time however I have them if/or when I NEED them. I subscribe to the school of thought of never bring a knife to a gunfight and its always a good idea to kill ants with a sledgehammer. As stated by others have fun with whatever you decide.
01-01-2012 08:27 PM
kjeeper10

Thanks for this btw
01-01-2012 08:14 PM
JYJeep JMO, A Rubicon is awesome, Part of the fun is building up your own version tailored for what you do. Either way have fun.
01-01-2012 07:38 PM
jkaufman_95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Heh Heh, you've got over 1300 posts and you're just going off my profile !!

Happy New Year Homie-

JIMBO
Did you just say "homie" jimbo?
01-01-2012 07:38 PM
6InARowMakesItGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, you've got over 1300 posts and you're just going off my profile !!




Happy New Year Homie-

JIMBO
i've very rarely been to the jk section so i have no idea what your jeep has. i am willing to agree to disagree but i'm not going to be convinced the other way.
01-01-2012 07:33 PM
JIMBOX Heh Heh, you've got over 1300 posts and you're just going off my profile !!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo View Post
i'm going off your profile. if you haven't filled it out all the way that's not my fault. if you spent that much on your rubicon then i think you would have been better off with a sport.
Happy New Year Homie-

JIMBO
01-01-2012 07:30 PM
6InARowMakesItGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Interesting, but still wrong-




Lets say that after $16K worth of mods to a 36K Rubicon/W A 9K OFF-ROAD TRAILER--I'm afraid you need to re-evaluate your interpretation of "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"



NOPE kb--very straight words and I've said this many a time--You don't need a reason to buy a Rubicon--YOU HAVE TO WANT ONE and then the reasons you boughtit FOR will "BITE" you, or you'll be "Happy as a Clam"--thats ME !

However I won't buy the statement-"all you gotta do is buy a SPORT, then modify it better than a Rubi"

To do that (probably 15%) of those that profess that, actually doit--you've gotta be mechanically inclined/have lotta money/have lotta time/never travel alone--

A stock Sport can Navigate 90% of the Rubicon--ya gotta run what ya brung and decide just how you wannt use your JEEP--then make the decision and STICKTOIT !

JIMBO
i'm going off your profile. if you haven't filled it out all the way that's not my fault. if you spent that much on your rubicon then i think you would have been better off with a sport.
01-01-2012 07:21 PM
JIMBOX Interesting, but still wrong-


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo View Post
i said wheel very often which you claim to do. i also said mostly stock. looking at your profile i would call it mostly stock. to get my meaning of mostly stock you could substitute lightly modified if you'd like. so you may call me wrong but your actually the exact person i would say to get a rubicon.
Lets say that after $16K worth of mods to a 36K Rubicon/W A 9K OFF-ROAD TRAILER--I'm afraid you need to re-evaluate your interpretation of "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
You don't need a Rubicon to go offroad. There are some features to the Rubicon (beefier front axle, pushbutton swaybar disco, etc) that will be beneficial if you offroad regularly, as Jimbo does. But for someone who simply wants to get around in the elements – as severe as those can be in Wyoming – I'd say a Sport, with the proper modifications – would be just as effective, and in some ways cheaper.

That said, if you can AFFORD the Rubicon, you really can't go wrong with it.

Am I wrong, Jimbo?
NOPE kb--very straight words and I've said this many a time--You don't need a reason to buy a Rubicon--YOU HAVE TO WANT ONE and then the reasons you boughtit FOR will "BITE" you, or you'll be "Happy as a Clam"--thats ME !

However I won't buy the statement-"all you gotta do is buy a SPORT, then modify it better than a Rubi"

To do that (probably 15%) of those that profess that, actually doit--you've gotta be mechanically inclined/have lotta money/have lotta time/never travel alone--

A stock Sport can Navigate 90% of the Rubicon--ya gotta run what ya brung and decide just how you wannt use your JEEP--then make the decision and STICKTOIT !

JIMBO
01-01-2012 07:04 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic View Post
Hi I am in the market for a new vehicle and have had my eye on a wrangler. I live in wyoming so the off road part is right up my alley. However i was curious if im not into serious off roading, is it worth it to get the rubicon. If i can get away with a sport that would be awesome but i dont want to compromise on how it handles the wyoming weather. So does having everything the rubicon comes with worth it when im not gonna be doing too much 4x4 but have to deal with lots of crappy roads?

You don't need a Rubicon to go offroad. There are some features to the Rubicon (beefier front axle, pushbutton swaybar disco, etc) that will be beneficial if you offroad regularly, as Jimbo does. But for someone who simply wants to get around in the elements – as severe as those can be in Wyoming – I'd say a Sport, with the proper modifications – would be just as effective, and in some ways cheaper.

That said, if you can AFFORD the Rubicon, you really can't go wrong with it.

Am I wrong, Jimbo?
01-01-2012 06:53 PM
6InARowMakesItGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
-That comment is SO WRONG-




I wkeel 99% of the time and my Rubi hasn't been stock for over 3 years !

When/if I get another jeep--it will be a Rubi-

JIMBO
i said wheel very often which you claim to do. i also said mostly stock. looking at your profile i would call it mostly stock. to get my meaning of mostly stock you could substitute lightly modified if you'd like. so you may call me wrong but your actually the exact person i would say to get a rubicon.
01-01-2012 06:21 PM
JIMBOX -That comment is SO WRONG-


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo View Post
i don't think a rubicon is worth it for most people. the only people who get their monies worth wheel very often and want a mostly stock jeep.
I wkeel 99% of the time and my Rubi hasn't been stock for over 3 years !

When/if I get another jeep--it will be a Rubi-

JIMBO
01-01-2012 04:06 PM
6InARowMakesItGo i don't think a rubicon is worth it for most people. the only people who get their monies worth wheel very often and want a mostly stock jeep.
01-01-2012 03:34 PM
MikeMTJ Id go for the sport. I have a TJ with the limited slip and it works very well in Cleveland snow. Hell, even my old YJ with open diffs did wonderfully in the snow.

If you don't plan on wheeling your jeep much, don't bother with the Rubicon.

That hood sticker sure is purrrty though
01-01-2012 03:21 PM
kjeeper10

But.. I always said, if you have the ching-go for it

You actually would be better off with the LSD option in the Sahara/sport.
01-01-2012 03:17 PM
medic
is a rubicon worth it?

Hi I am in the market for a new vehicle and have had my eye on a wrangler. I live in wyoming so the off road part is right up my alley. However i was curious if im not into serious off roading, is it worth it to get the rubicon. If i can get away with a sport that would be awesome but i dont want to compromise on how it handles the wyoming weather. So does having everything the rubicon comes with worth it when im not gonna be doing too much 4x4 but have to deal with lots of crappy roads?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC