Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum > 2.5L or 4.0L please help

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: 2.5L or 4.0L please help Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-08-2012 12:13 AM
Master4th I was a 2.5 owner for 4 years. It had its moments

The 2.5's come with AX4/5 tranny, I broke 2 of these in 3 years, (switched to NV4500/Atlas 2 Tcase). I can be somewhat heavy footed and the 2.5 just never had the get up and go. With 31s on it I had a terrible time keeping it at 65 mph on the highway. (Unless I was got up behind someone to cut the wind resistance)

On the plus side, that engine was a soldier. It could take the hard daily driving I put it through. It made several trips from DC to Chicago without a problem. After I finally put it out to pasture, I could come back after 6 months and start it up without adding any gas to the tank.

My recomendation is get the 6 cylinder.
03-07-2012 01:41 AM
Todd Penn When did they change the 2.5 into a 2.4? My 2006 had a 2.4 and was wondering if anyone on here had one. All I'm seeing everyone talk about is the 2.5. Middle finger
03-06-2012 02:15 PM
jr78racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr78racer View Post
yes the shift light is set retardedly low, but i'm just saying...............
03-06-2012 01:55 PM
kj 92yj
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 View Post
^
i bet it has a 2.5 in it!

well dammit, it was supposed to copy over jkaufman_95 rocket pic.....oh well...good humor lost...
03-06-2012 01:11 PM
Xpress My shift light doesn't even work. There's no reason for you to have to shift so early- you're basically giving yourself a 1000rpm power range with that light. Plus you shouldn't be paying attention to your dash clusters as much as you should be paying attention to just driving.

Remember that Chrysler did not build the engine.. Most modern 4 cylinder engines cruise at highway RPM's between 2700 and 3000rpm.
03-06-2012 10:08 AM
jr78racer i highly doubt that jeep wanted us to keep our motors at 2900 and above all the time as the shift light comes on at 2000 and cruising speed in 5th gear is below 2900 (at the speed limit of course hahaha).

yes the shift light is set retardedly low, but i'm just saying...............
03-06-2012 02:30 AM
Xpress Manufacturing defects do exist, however you are the first I've ever heard with a blown head gasket at such a low mileage.

However, there is still the question of how the engine was maintained.
03-06-2012 02:27 AM
jkaufman_95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
You can't just blanket the 2.5L as a "bad engine" because you saw a picture of a rod blown out of the side of it. I could post up pics of hundreds of engines with blown out rods. Hell, I could post pictures of a 2011 Toyota 5.7L V8 engine with a totally destroyed cylinder from a valve breaking inside. Does that mean the engine is a bad motor altogether? Absolutely not, there's too many contributing factors that can cause an engine to fail: everything from not maintaining oil levels to just never maintaining it entirely.

The 2.5L engine was designed to run in a particular RPM range, and that RPM range is between 2900-3500rpm. You can run it in a lower range, but it's NOT over revving an engine to run it where a manufacturer designed it to. Diesel engines run at full throttle all the time. Why? Because they were designed to.
Yeah, you can look at pictures all day. Doesn't compare to when I was looking at my own jeep with 27,000 miles (NOT a typo) with a bad headgasket on my 2.5l.
03-06-2012 02:24 AM
Xpress You can't just blanket the 2.5L as a "bad engine" because you saw a picture of a rod blown out of the side of it. I could post up pics of hundreds of engines with blown out rods. Hell, I could post pictures of a 2011 Toyota 5.7L V8 engine with a totally destroyed cylinder from a valve breaking inside. Does that mean the engine is a bad motor altogether? Absolutely not, there's too many contributing factors that can cause an engine to fail: everything from not maintaining oil levels to just never maintaining it entirely.

The 2.5L engine was designed to run in a particular RPM range, and that RPM range is between 2900-3500rpm. You can run it in a lower range, but it's NOT over revving an engine to run it where a manufacturer designed it to. Diesel engines run at full throttle all the time. Why? Because they were designed to.
03-05-2012 12:43 AM
jr78racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
2000 lbs is a stock jeeps towing capacity, either 2.5L OR 4.0. Remember what you have sitting underneath the rear of your Jeep.

That being said I have seen 2.5L Jeeps towing cars before. It's not that the engine CAN'T handle it, it's that the frame, brakes, and axles weren't designed to handle it. I have NO doubts a 2.5L could tow a 5000lb load. At what speed it can do it probably wouldn't be much over 55mph on a flat road. BUT, the question is, can your frame, axle and brakes handle it?

Stock brakes? No, they're sufficient for the Jeep itself, but unless you get some better brake calipers and vented disk brakes then you will probably overheat them and lose all of your stopping power.

Stock Dana 35? I wouldn't, especially since 31" tires is the max that axle realistically can handle.

Stock frame? Probably could handle the loads, but you're going to need some 1/4" steel placed in the right places to handle it.

Vehicles made for towing stuff often have beefed up frames and axles to handle such loads.

------------------------------

REMEMBER: YOUR EXPERIENCES MAY AND ABSOLUTELY CAN VARY!!!

I know people who can't even manage 65mph on the freeway on flat ground with their 2.5L, and they've got the right gears for their 33" tires too. I do it daily, and I can hold 65mph without much sweat. Drop the hammer and she gets up and scoots, with passing power too!! Just today I passed up 2 LARGE tour style buses that were doing 65mph on the highway. Decided I didn't want to get stuck behind them so I took my only opportunity and went around them.
for once i have to agree with you. you are right a 2.5 jeep can get up and go. my reasons for not wanting the motor are longevity. while i know you can get a 2.5 jeep to scoot by keeping the rpms up, i don't think i should have to. running a motor as hard as a 2.5 needs to be run is not good for it. ibuildembig's picture is worth a thousand words. i have no doubt that the motor pictured was maintained properly other than the fact that somebody beat the hell out of it. a bigger motor like a straight six or v-8 would effortlessly surpass the capabilities of the 2.5 while maintaining reasonable rpms and at the same time knock down better gas mileage. that was my argument and i maintain my position.
03-04-2012 10:41 PM
Xpress 2000 lbs is a stock jeeps towing capacity, either 2.5L OR 4.0. Remember what you have sitting underneath the rear of your Jeep.

That being said I have seen 2.5L Jeeps towing cars before. It's not that the engine CAN'T handle it, it's that the frame, brakes, and axles weren't designed to handle it. I have NO doubts a 2.5L could tow a 5000lb load. At what speed it can do it probably wouldn't be much over 55mph on a flat road. BUT, the question is, can your frame, axle and brakes handle it?

Stock brakes? No, they're sufficient for the Jeep itself, but unless you get some better brake calipers and vented disk brakes then you will probably overheat them and lose all of your stopping power.

Stock Dana 35? I wouldn't, especially since 31" tires is the max that axle realistically can handle.

Stock frame? Probably could handle the loads, but you're going to need some 1/4" steel placed in the right places to handle it.

Vehicles made for towing stuff often have beefed up frames and axles to handle such loads.

------------------------------

REMEMBER: YOUR EXPERIENCES MAY AND ABSOLUTELY CAN VARY!!!

I know people who can't even manage 65mph on the freeway on flat ground with their 2.5L, and they've got the right gears for their 33" tires too. I do it daily, and I can hold 65mph without much sweat. Drop the hammer and she gets up and scoots, with passing power too!! Just today I passed up 2 LARGE tour style buses that were doing 65mph on the highway. Decided I didn't want to get stuck behind them so I took my only opportunity and went around them.
03-04-2012 09:24 PM
Nubby55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr78racer View Post
A WRANGLER WAS NOT DESIGNED TO HAUL 6000lbs!!!!!!! end of story. i call b.s. on this whole story with experience to back me up. MY JEEP, MY CURRENT 2.5L 5 speed wrangler had to be enlisted to pull a 2000 dodge neon on a tow dolly from 50 miles away because my truck was down. by the way a dodge neon only weighs about 2500lbs and the dolly maybe 400lbs. thats only a combined weight of maybe 3000lbs. and the 2.5L BARELY had the nuts to pull said neon home and that was winding it up to keep it in its powerband and frequent 3rd to 4th up and downshifts to maintain 55. let alone the fact that i had to slip the hell out of the clutch just to get it to START the load moving.

snide comments my ass. if you actually are pulling that kind of load behind a wrangler, regardless of the hitch set up and brakes, you should permanently have your license revoked and possibly some jail time as that is criminal endangerment to everyone on the road.

but not for a minute due i actually believe even 1% of your b.s. story as i have owned several jeeps of various vintages and models. i know their capabilities and their shortcomings and your story is just that B.S.


XXX222

I'll tow with my cummings 5.9 and I'll ride in my Jeep, unless I'm towing it with with my Dodge 5.9!
03-04-2012 02:53 PM
Yjpower94 2.5 all the way
03-04-2012 02:30 PM
jr78racer A WRANGLER WAS NOT DESIGNED TO HAUL 6000lbs!!!!!!! end of story. i call b.s. on this whole story with experience to back me up. MY JEEP, MY CURRENT 2.5L 5 speed wrangler had to be enlisted to pull a 2000 dodge neon on a tow dolly from 50 miles away because my truck was down. by the way a dodge neon only weighs about 2500lbs and the dolly maybe 400lbs. thats only a combined weight of maybe 3000lbs. and the 2.5L BARELY had the nuts to pull said neon home and that was winding it up to keep it in its powerband and frequent 3rd to 4th up and downshifts to maintain 55. let alone the fact that i had to slip the hell out of the clutch just to get it to START the load moving.

snide comments my ass. if you actually are pulling that kind of load behind a wrangler, regardless of the hitch set up and brakes, you should permanently have your license revoked and possibly some jail time as that is criminal endangerment to everyone on the road.

but not for a minute due i actually believe even 1% of your b.s. story as i have owned several jeeps of various vintages and models. i know their capabilities and their shortcomings and your story is just that B.S.
03-04-2012 11:49 AM
jkaufman_95 ^
03-04-2012 10:35 AM
ballistx
understand

I understand fully. However, the frame ratings on all are modified with the application of an equalizing hitch. Typically the equalizer hitch is bolted to the frame rails only. That adds additional cross bracing as well as vertical stabilization.

The typical Class III equalizer hitches for a Wrangler only address the downward vertical pressure and their interconnection to the frame is such that it adds virtually nothing to the cross stabilization.

The Coliburn is the only hitch that I found that interconnected to the frame in such a manner as to give good vertical and lateral support. However, it did not fully address the upward thrust that is applied with the equalizer bars, especially not 1,000 lb bars and 600+ lbs of tongue weight that has to be redistributed partially to the front axle.

To compensate, I used a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron across the bottom of their hitch and welded to their hitch across the horizontal tube. I then bolted that into the cross member of the frame. This reinforced the frame to the point where it was far in excess of what was required.

The Coliburn hitch has 1/4" flat bars that are about 6" in height that extend from the ends of the hitch forward and tie into the frame about 9" ahead of the rear cross member. These are welded over the ends of the cross bar of the equalizer hitch. In fact, they are the only thing now holding the frame together on the rear passenger side as it is rusted amost totally through and is the reason for an upcoming frame off.

Rest assured, that frame, and hitch assembly is much stronger than the XJ's and their ratings. And I have owned several of the XJ's and have towed quite extensively with them. Actually the tow rating of an XJ IS 5,000 lbs. So the snide comments before in this post are absolutely rediculous, and insulting! If people are going to make insulting snide comments, they at least should be sure they have reasonable facts!

That Wrangler, set up the way it was, towing a 6,000 lb trailer was more stable and safer than a 1/2 ton pickup towing its rated trailer on a single ball hitch. Done both and can speak from ACTUAL experience with the rigs in question, which is FAR more than most making the snide comments can!
03-04-2012 09:59 AM
DirtyRob According to the owners manual, the frame on Wrangler is rated at 2,200 lbs towing. Good luck. Noone is out to get you or anything, I personally just feel it is necessary to post what I have found so others don't try this and kill someone and say "I heard you could tow 6,000lbs easily."
I have towed a single wide about 1mile with my old Waggoneer to get it off my property, the Jeep was way over weight, and i would never do that again. i admit i have no idea what the trailer weighed, but it took a lot to get it moving and stopped. It was an old 12x50 single wide the fire dept. said i couldn't burn it so i gave it away to someone down the road :-)
03-04-2012 08:51 AM
ballistx
issue

The issue wasn't braking, frame capacity, etc. The issue was whether the 2.5 had the torque to pull the 29' trailer on the highway. The issue wasn't 9% grades either. Best to keep within the scope of what was done/said. If you had read all that I posted you would have read that I have towed for 40 years in all kinds of situations, towing just these kinds of loads with a wide variety of vehicles in all kinds of terrains and all kinds of weather. It was situations where there wasn't an easy choice to just get a bigger rig, or not go. I HAVE thrown on the trailer brakes on 9% downgrades because I HAD to due to the circumstances. I have experienced just how much braking that trailer will supply when the towing vehicle brakes have faded out. I HAVE had the towing vehicle and towed vehicle totally crossways on the interstate on solid ice covered roads and pulled it out without crashing. I HAVE slammed them into the ditch to avoid on coming vehicles in my lane and pulled them out too. I have never crashed or damaged a vehicle towing either. Well, except once when the highway blew up under the trailer and took out all the plumbing. I have pulled mountain roads with a trailer where there had to be spotters because half of the tire was off the edge of the road (vertical drop) in order to get through.

As far as the frame capacity, the frame on the Wrangler is a boxed frame and is just as substantial (or MORE) as most other vehicles with 6,000 lb tow ratings. Again, not talking about 30,000 lb loads behind the Wrangler.

On short/panic stopping a properly equipped trailer will/can lock all wheels with the ebrakes. If that is only 20% of the stopping I would love to see your engineering calculations supporting that. I guess you are saying that all recreational trailers only supply 20%, or less, of the braking?

I would appreciate if those addressing towing a 6,000 lb trailer would keep things in perspective. It is only a 6,000 lb trailer. It isn't a 33 ton loaded semi. It isn't a go cart in front either. It is a leaf spring equipped tow vehicle that has just as strong a frame as virtually ANY vehicle out there with a FACTORY rated 6,000 lb towing capacity. The swept brake area of the braking system is also equivalent to virtually EVERY vehicle out there with a 6,000 lb tow rating. Now I suppose one of you will HAVE to compare that to a 1 ton dually with a 15,000 lb tow rating and say that has more. KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE! The ONLY difference between the Wrangler and the other 6,000 lb tow rated vehicles is the length of wheel base and possibly the torque of the engine!

Finally, I never said anything about picking the 2.5 over the 4.0. In fact, I would prefer the 4.0 over the 2.5 in virtually all situations. However, the 2.5 is totally adequate for the vast majority of uses/users. True off roaders comprise ONLY about 5% of the Wrangler users even if they are probably 90% of those on this forum. If I had the choice between two identical YJ's, 1 with 4.0 and 1 with 2.5, I would pick the 4.0 hands down. But if the 4.0 was more expensive, it hadn't better be much because it IS only marginally better across the board and not worth much more than the 2.5 equipped vehicle. That is based on the way I would use it. Admittedly you can derive numerous situations where the 4.0 will be paramount, BUT if those are not part of the useage of the vehicle, then what is the difference? I don't care if it can't throw the mud from the cleats, I don't intend to use it that way, except MAYBE once during a hunting season and I have a winch to use instead of putting that much extra stress on the vehicle. Also, when hunting I carry a full set of 4wheel CHAINS and when it gets that bad, I chain it up rather than abuse the vehicle! My object isn't to throw mud, or to prove a point, or to test what I and the vehicle can do. Those are all ligitimate uses. However, MY objective is to get from point A to point B to do what I intend to do at point B, and I use the vehicle for that job. I try to limit the abuse because I HAVE to have it to get back out.
03-04-2012 02:25 AM
jkaufman_95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr78racer

sure buddy. if you say so. ive got some ocean front property out in southern wisconsin you can buy too
Not before he buys my ski resort in Illinois.
03-04-2012 01:35 AM
AKYJ I just read this thread and I cant believe why someone would ever take a 2.4/2.5 over a 4.0 this is why I own the 4.0 Inline Six!!
1. on the highway I like to pass people that are going to slow, I like to do 75mph up a 9% incline.
2. Reliability I worked at a dodge chrysler jeep dealership as a technician for two years. I have seen only 2 4.0 with head problems, now for the four cyilnders I have seen six total were blown up three of them threw rods.
3. Better gas mpg when modified with my 92 yj with the 4.0 I can manage 17-18 mpg at 65-70 mph on road trips with 34-12.50-16 MT's n 4:10 gears, I would like to see a four cylinder do that.
4. Offroad sometimes you need 4hi to get you through obstacles, silk glacier sand, thick mud, gravle rocky climbs well you need wheel spin to clear out your tires and keep your momentum going 4 high is your friend in many cases offroad. You cannot compare between the 4 and 6 cyl the 6 is better in every way hands down, sure the four cyl works but its not the best.

O and to the guy who said he pulled a 29 foot trailer across the country with his wrangler, calling BS I dont care if it had trailer brakes you would fu##### die going down a mountian pass trailer brakes ONLY provide maybe 20 percent of the braking plus all that tongue weight would bend your frame. Trust me I have driven overloaded trucks on alaskan mountian passes and allmost got killed when a 45 foot float trailer broke the rear sub frame on my gmc 5500 going down a pass. il post some pictures up if you dont think it can happen.
Sorry for the bad grammar on my phone.
03-04-2012 12:29 AM
jr78racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistx View Post
But it was the older style with the wooden frame so I would guestimate in the 6,000 lb range. That is about what it pulled like.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the old 6cyl was much heavier and had a 5,000 lb tow rating. You throw in the automatic and and that makes it even more anemic compared to a 5 speed.

I guess I don't understand all the hupila that towing 5,000 or 6,000 lbs behind the 2.5 L is anything astronomical. If you bother to check the tow ratings of gas engines you will find that the "recommended" torque limitations limit out at about 55:1 weight:ftlb torque. That is about what the 2.5 is towing a 5,000 lb load. The I6 FI and a 5 spd should readily be able to tow into the 8,000 lb range.

Two of the brothers in the stock car crew towed the paving machines, manufactured where they worked, for delivery. They took half ton 74 Ford pickups and towed them from Huron, SD to both coasts. Those rigs, on their trailers, weighed in close to 22,000 lb! Yes, they burned a set of valves about every 2 trips. but they pulled them at highway speeds. That would have been about a 75:1 ratio.
sure buddy. if you say so. ive got some ocean front property out in southern wisconsin you can buy too
03-03-2012 11:54 PM
Ibuildembig
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistx View Post
Used to work on them. I had responsibility for the UHF/VHF radio network for the territory from West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole, WY to Wells NV to Boise ID. Included 5 mountain ranges. Had a UHF backbone with repeaters 125 miles apart and all dual frequency VHF mobiles for line crews, etc. Didn't have any help so I had all design/install/maint/repair. Haven't messed with it for over 20 years though. Also had substations, etc. talking into.

Also had all SCADA, transfer trip, relaying, metering etc that Bonneville Power had in that region.

Screwed up and never got my license (wasn't necessary for gvt) or ham license. Now I wish I had. Do they still need morse for ham?
Thats cool, pretty country for tower sites for sure! I am 3rd generation in the business.
03-03-2012 11:36 PM
ballistx
never had it weighed

But it was the older style with the wooden frame so I would guestimate in the 6,000 lb range. That is about what it pulled like.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the old 6cyl was much heavier and had a 5,000 lb tow rating. You throw in the automatic and and that makes it even more anemic compared to a 5 speed.

I guess I don't understand all the hupila that towing 5,000 or 6,000 lbs behind the 2.5 L is anything astronomical. If you bother to check the tow ratings of gas engines you will find that the "recommended" torque limitations limit out at about 55:1 weight:ftlb torque. That is about what the 2.5 is towing a 5,000 lb load. The I6 FI and a 5 spd should readily be able to tow into the 8,000 lb range.

Two of the brothers in the stock car crew towed the paving machines, manufactured where they worked, for delivery. They took half ton 74 Ford pickups and towed them from Huron, SD to both coasts. Those rigs, on their trailers, weighed in close to 22,000 lb! Yes, they burned a set of valves about every 2 trips. but they pulled them at highway speeds. That would have been about a 75:1 ratio.
03-03-2012 10:13 PM
jr78racer kinda curious what the gross weight of that 29' trailer that a 2.5L wrangler supposedly pulled
03-03-2012 06:57 PM
ballistx
not anymore

Used to work on them. I had responsibility for the UHF/VHF radio network for the territory from West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole, WY to Wells NV to Boise ID. Included 5 mountain ranges. Had a UHF backbone with repeaters 125 miles apart and all dual frequency VHF mobiles for line crews, etc. Didn't have any help so I had all design/install/maint/repair. Haven't messed with it for over 20 years though. Also had substations, etc. talking into.

Also had all SCADA, transfer trip, relaying, metering etc that Bonneville Power had in that region.

Screwed up and never got my license (wasn't necessary for gvt) or ham license. Now I wish I had. Do they still need morse for ham?
03-03-2012 05:35 PM
Ibuildembig
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistx View Post
In one trip up to my mountain top repeater site .
You a two way man?
03-03-2012 03:05 PM
baileybeetle i got my straight in 99 3 years old still have it drive it ever day just got a 2006 wanger x what of course a straight 6 !!!!!!
03-03-2012 02:41 PM
baileybeetle straight 6 all the way
03-03-2012 02:37 PM
ballistx
setup for towing

The set up is the same whether towing with the 98 Dodge 360 quad cab 8' box or the Wrangler. The hitch is the Reese equalizer with 1,000 lb bars and the dual cam action sway control. I've had the necessity, and recreational use, to tow a wide variety of equipment with a wide variety of tow vehicles. From many miles of towing experience, the Wrangler with that setup towing the 29' trailer is much more stable, laterally, than towing my 19' with the old 69 Jeep Super Wagoneer without the sway control and just the equalizer bars.

And yes, I was running 70-75 all the way on the trip back from Sturgis. Admittedly there was absolutely no wind. The flags along the way were hanging straight down.

I did an experiment with the Line Foreman on a trip to challenge the Nuclear Lab security at the Idaho National Engineering Lab. They were bleeding into my UHF radio network and wouldn't admit it. I needed to get up above them in the mountains and run radio tests. The only way up there was with the big snow cat (12,000 lb on a 7,000 lb trailer). We hooked it up behind the 77 Jeep Wagoneer with the 360 and T-18 four speed. The Line Foreman was driving and we went out there and part way back at 70, no issues.

Part way back the Line Foreman was going on that the sway control and equalizer weren't significant as they hauled everything with the pintle hooks on their big rigs. So, I had him stop and dropped off the sway bars. We were at the bottom of a small dessert swale. He got going about 30 mph at the top and over the hump started to lose it. He played hell, even with the brake controller to get it stopped. Had to nurse it to the bottom and let it drain off on the next up take.

Put the bars back on and ran 70 the rest of the way back to the shop. He had all his smaller rigs down getting "updated" the next day.

You can tell how well it is working when you either pass a semi or are passed by one going the same way. If it isn't working right the end of the rig that is meeting the lateral wind shear will move first. With the sway control on, and set up right, when the semi passes the entire rig will push sideways as one unit.

When a semi passed from the rear, as his cab would come even with the back of the trailer you could feel the pressure on the Wrangler being pushed sideways. Nothing any more significant than with any other tow vehicle as they will all pressure when there is that much side pressure.

As far as emergency stopping, After 40 years of towin, I have been in the typical amount of panic stops and diversions and have never felt that the Wrangler was any less stable than the other moderate wheel base vehicles, such as the Wagoneers, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees that I have had. I have had over 30 jeeps in my life and have towed significant items with many of them. So, I don't come from a keyboard assessment.

In one hunting trip into the Bear Mountains in Idaho we were going upgrade when the snow got deeper and deeper. When I started pushing it with the front bumper it was obvious we weren't going much higher and there was absolutely no turn around the the past 3/4 mile. That meant backing down that 3/4 mile of winding mountain trail. That was with a Jeep Wagoneer and a 19' trailer.

My experience comes from being behind the wheel in snow, ice, mountains, deserts, interstates to mountain trails towing work and recreational equipment where it was absolutely imperative to go. In one trip up to my mountain top repeater site on Ryan's Ridge behind Garns Mountain we had 2 wagoneers (chained), and 1 snow cat breaking trail through 17 miles of winter mountain 1 track trail in a blizzard. We ended up stripping all of the winch line off both winches and sledding the rigs with the snow cat to get them out before we had to leave them for the winter. That was in October.

Obviously, if given a choice I will use the biggest rig available to tow with. However, the Wrangler, on reasonably flat terrain, can tow significant loads when properly set up. It cannot handle the likes of Teton Pass if the intent is to not block traffic. It can get up there, but VERY slowly. And coming down would definitely take some even slower going. Otherwise the trailer brakes would definitely overhead and, being drum, would fade out.
03-03-2012 02:04 PM
jkaufman_95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistx



Well, I would ask those who have actually USED the 2.5 at towing heavy loads. I HAVE. I have used it to tow the 29' self contained trailer that I had for 1,000s of miles on the back highways and on the interstate. .
This makes me shake my head on so many levels.
1. NO wrangler should tow a 29 foot trailer. That could whip your jeep around if you really had to set it down.
2. I've never seen a 4 cylinder do over 80 so I doubt your doing 75 with 6k of dead weight on the back
3. One word : pickup.
4. Even with electronic brakes that's not a safe system. (I'd assume and hope your at least using weight distribution bars)
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC