Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic > Are You a Doomsday Prepper?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Are You a Doomsday Prepper? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
11-14-2012 08:12 PM
BlueRidgeYJ Good points klkb.

There is always something going on, with some "simple" explination they are willing to share. Take the ammo purchasing of the US Govt recently. They are happy to say "Oh we just bought in bulk" and "there ARE thousands of SSA police" etc, etc.

The massive stockpile of FEMA "caskets" in Covington, GA - "ATL is a major hub on the populated coast, we can distribute easily".

The list continues, on and on.

Then we have the potential for some sort of attack against our citizenry, by a State govt or rogue Nation.

Let alone we have not had widespread power but for 100 years at best. Take the Carrington Event for instance - it likely would have damaged major pieces of the power grid if it happened today. Your grocery store has enough food for 3-4 days, tops (Think about batteries in NY last week). Wihout resupply, your neighbors may not be so kind after missing 3 days of meals. Or they may, depending on how prepared you (as a community) are.

Then there are local disasters that can happen, and do the same thing on a micro scale.

My point? Be self suficient. Not supplied per se, but able to supply indefinately. Much easier in the country, but capable about anywhere. We live in a very brittle societal balance, and if you think about what seperates us from the rest of humans throughout history it is not much, but makes a HUGE difference. We have lived in this shell of a world for over 2 generations, so the youth today cannot imagine actually living how my great grandparents lived their whole lives. Even if they could, much of the knowledge and most of the locally climatized vegetation is gone. Not gonna come back type gone.

And the most important preperation? Education.
11-14-2012 09:16 AM
daggo66 Nevermind, I found it.
11-14-2012 09:10 AM
daggo66
Quote:
Originally Posted by klkb View Post
If you match this up with two incidents of nuclear subs (with a striking range of about 1400 miles) being detected 200 miles off the shore, one of which we granted safe harbor right before the election/ Superstorm Sandy,
Do you have more information regarding this?
11-14-2012 06:43 AM
klkb I never looked at this thread until today, usually rolling my eyes when it kept surviving. Today, I get it. I'll say right now that my comments are not meant to aggravate an already hot political debate, but just to present facts for your consideration. I've never been an alarmist, but I do recognize when pieces add up. Mods, please delete my comment if it crosses the line. Not meant to, but it might.

What we need to prepare for isn't the end of the world, it's the civil unrest that follows the wide-scale terrorist attack that will come on so strongly and swiftly that we won't be able to do much about it. I'm presenting two articles for your consideration, articles and info that will never be released by the liberal media:

Troop Movements And Government Ammo Stockpiling In U.S. : Truth Frequency News

Mystery Surrounding 1.2 Billion Rounds of Ammo Solved | Beacon Equity: Penny Stocks, Stock Alerts

If you match this up with two incidents of nuclear subs (with a striking range of about 1400 miles) being detected 200 miles off the shore, one of which we granted safe harbor right before the election/ Superstorm Sandy, it's scary to me. Our weapons soon WILL be rendered useless and illegal, regardless of our idealistic rights to have them. There will be unrest, and you are right to prepare for it. Personally, my plan is to leave the country while I still can. I know a lot of people who are getting their passports and visas in order.

Friends, I haven't personally touched on the politics and conspiracy theories behind this, and I won't. If someone wants to start a new thread about it to have a conversation, that's great. Don't do it unless you can keep your feelings out of it and stick to facts you've researched, and I do encourage you to do your own research. I'm agreeing we need to prepare for the worst, just consider ALL angles of the worst situation.
11-08-2012 08:57 AM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorJeeper View Post
Now I embarrassed to say I am not at all prepared except for guns and ammo. How do I start learning? Where do I start?
Start with the easy, obvious stuff. Water, water purification system, canned goods, dried food, etc. Urban or rural environment will make a difference as to what you need as well...
11-08-2012 07:09 AM
SeniorJeeper Now I embarrassed to say I am not at all prepared except for guns and ammo. How do I start learning? Where do I start?
11-06-2012 10:12 PM
BlueRidgeYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone
For those willing to go find it, ma nature provides some pretty good sweets as well...
Mmmmmmm.

Nice wild Huckleberry patches out here (blueberry huckles, not west coast huckles).

You are right about teaching the chil'rens about food. Never too early. And it does save tons of money.

Many bulk supplies are about 80% anyhow. Thats not uncommon for "good" seeds. Ive had fresh seeds as low as 50% before.
11-06-2012 10:02 PM
whetstone For those willing to go find it, ma nature provides some pretty good sweets as well...
11-06-2012 09:58 PM
whetstone We buy local varieties, in bulk. I've planted corn that had been stored in a paper sack for 4 years, with about an 80% gestation rate. I overbuy seed and store it in ziplock bags. We also can/preserve a lot of our harvest. It saves money, teaches the kid where her food comes from, and its fun! It's definately not an end-all solution to potential problems, but an additional layer of protection. Being from the MO Ozarks, I'm the first generation of my family to grow up having electricity and running water my entire life. I get a lot of satisfaction practicing and applying the skills that kept my grandparents and great-grandparents alive.
11-06-2012 08:32 PM
BlueRidgeYJ Just make sure they are heirloom, otherwise they may not seed succesfully.


Any ol garden center will sell you the same seeds for way less than them prepper can-o-seed deals. I have personally stocked up on seeds from the heirloom generations of Thomas Jefferson at Monticello, amongst others. He grew them 200 years ago, without engines or pesticides, at 2000' 30 miles from where I am (also @2k). They grow well here, and are "micro climate adapted" to the sub region because they have been grown anually since TJ.

This is the best internet source I have found, and I have had good results with all Souhern Seeds I've used. Wonderful selections of variety, even within a particular crop. Listed if Organic, Heirloom, etc. and many rare types, like Bull Nose peppers and Scarlet Runner beans - the plants your great-great grandparents grew, before Monsanto and GMO.

http://www.southernexposure.com/

On a shelf, bout 4 years and gestation rate drops. 7 if sealed up tight, longer in the fridge, virtually indefinite storage at sub 20f.

Don't wait till 'then' to learn how things grow.

Carrots can grow in 5 gal buckets. Very easy, 30 days. Same with peppers, and loads of other little guys. Rocky soil? Cut open sacks of dirt, or build 2x6 boxes raised above plane, and fill em with topsoil.

Farmin's fun.

But a better prep step is to get an ammo can with good seals and put packets of heirlooms in it, maybe a book or two about crops if your thumb isnt green, then either bottom of the deer freezer or in a cool, dry closet. Moisture shouldn't matter if the seals are good, but cool & dry just like each other. Ziplock em for even better measure. I think mylar would be overkill here, adding no real benefit. Make sure they are marked with planting instructions on the packet. They all look a lot alike in a pile.
11-06-2012 07:47 PM
4x4cop What kind of seeds is that you planted? Seeds in a can or what?
11-06-2012 12:16 PM
whetstone One of the best ways to prep...
11-05-2012 05:27 PM
1jeeplvr I have a home that has a very large basement.Ive started buying extra food,water & stocking up in the gun/ammo section.I am really on the fence if its going to get as bad as people say but I do think hard times are coming though.The last storm we had the shelves of Lowes where the flashlights and batteries are kept was completely gutted.are people that unprepared they need to run out and buy things they should have already.And imagine if there was no electricity for an extended period of time?? AND That number you see pop up on your computer screen that is supposed to be the amount of money you have in the bank.That wont mean crap if the shtf. Money wont do much good but having the things you need,and some extra will make all the difference.
05-07-2012 01:22 PM
stoneez Its not some much being a "Prepper" as just being prepared for eventuallities. Too many things point to December of this year for something significant not to happen.

Trust not your government, for it has not your best interest at heart. The can try to take my guns, but will experience resistance. I dont trust the Government any farther than I can throw those SOBs.
05-07-2012 11:15 AM
wickedyj95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister

My wife is a Spanish teacher, and Mayan civilization is part of her curriculum.
We're currently on the 12th Mayan Bak'tun. The Bak'tun is just one of many Mayan units of measure, and it has flipped 11 times already.
The Mayan doomsday theory is asinine. If there were any merit to it, the world would have ended 11 times already. It's not a start of a new era, it's a start of a new Bak'tun, while still being in the same Piktun, Kalabtun, K'inchiltun, and Alatun.
A Bak'tun is about 7885 years, a Piktun is about 157,000 years. Conversely, a Ka'tun is about 394 years, a Tun is about 20 years. There are no major world events coinciding with them, and any major event that comes close to one is pure coincidence. The changing of Bak'tun is not even one of the larger events on the Mayan calendars. If there's any apocalypse, it's because people will make it real, not because it was "predicted", because it wasn't. If anything, it would be at the changing of the largest Mayan unit, the Alatun, which is about 63 million years. It's all basically a meaningless, arbitrary unit of measure, ROUGHLY based on solar years as the Mayans understood them, which we have long known, was flawed. It's the changing of one decimal point in their calendar system, that's all, yet stupid people would rather believe hype than fact. Even the Mayan descendants have tried to explain the systems, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Mayan Calendar - 52 Year Calendar Round
Well put SIR!!
05-07-2012 10:50 AM
Mr. Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rdog View Post
Actually 2012 is not the end of the Mayan Calendar but the end of an age or time period. At each end was a major society collapse such as both world wars, the fall of the Berlin wall, fall of Rome, 1776, and so on. It will simply be the start of a new era. Doomsday is a tag to make money. But to prep is wise for ones self and family. It's insurance for in case sh.
My wife is a Spanish teacher, and Mayan civilization is part of her curriculum.
We're currently on the 12th Mayan Bak'tun. The Bak'tun is just one of many Mayan units of measure, and it has flipped 11 times already.
The Mayan doomsday theory is asinine. If there were any merit to it, the world would have ended 11 times already. It's not a start of a new era, it's a start of a new Bak'tun, while still being in the same Piktun, Kalabtun, K'inchiltun, and Alatun.
A Bak'tun is about 7885 years, a Piktun is about 157,000 years. Conversely, a Ka'tun is about 394 years, a Tun is about 20 years. There are no major world events coinciding with them, and any major event that comes close to one is pure coincidence. The changing of Bak'tun is not even one of the larger events on the Mayan calendars. If there's any apocalypse, it's because people will make it real, not because it was "predicted", because it wasn't. If anything, it would be at the changing of the largest Mayan unit, the Alatun, which is about 63 million years. It's all basically a meaningless, arbitrary unit of measure, ROUGHLY based on solar years as the Mayans understood them, which we have long known, was flawed. It's the changing of one decimal point in their calendar system, that's all, yet stupid people would rather believe hype than fact. Even the Mayan descendants have tried to explain the systems, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Mayan Calendar - 52 Year Calendar Round
05-07-2012 09:03 AM
wickedyj95 Well just as a precautionary measure I have been checking google maps for large areas further north than here for places with large creeks or smaller rivers , so I will have a place to survive . I think it would be really cool to leave all this madness behind and just live like the pioneers did , right off the land survive by hunting and gathering , and grown my own veggies and such . Just a thought , plus I want to keep my thread going . This is interesting !!
04-23-2012 07:52 AM
wickedyj95
Quote:
Originally Posted by armygreen
i did not hear that, please expand if you want to or post links, this is news to me and if it occurred why was it not widely reported?

what are sar missions?
i am guessing you mean they were flying around the flooded areas?

however, don't you believe that anyone shooting at a helo in this scenario were looters and criminals who didn't want their actions seen, video'ed, and reported? iow: NOT anyone with a registered gun, but all those creeps who never followed any law in the first place,

so what good would it do to go disarm the law abiding people?

my sentiments on the scenario stand firmer after you're telling me this.

and as for not firing back - why not? they should have!
or they should have remained out of range of fire but nearby and called in for some millitary action to jump in and assist locating those shooters.

please feel free to elaborate on your post because all it did thus far was confirm what i and many others have said about that situation.
SAR missions .... Search and Rescue missions...
04-23-2012 03:42 AM
armygreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluebuggy View Post
Instead of shooting back, they took guns, was it right, no, but it waz better than the alternative.
i still can't get past that you just posted this,

what you've just said is like:
my neighbor to my left was shooting at me,
but he's big and scary,
so instead of dealing with him,
i went over to the neighbor on my right and shot the crap out of him, because i knew he didn't own any guns.

taking guns from law abiding has vitually nothng to do with arresting some crooks shooting at helo's, it's like looking for a lost dollar in your back yard that you dropped while at myrtle beach boardwalk while on vacation.

you say was it right , no,
but then go on to say better than alternative? no it's not, it flat out doesn't make any sense - on the surface,

but look a little deeper at why such a thing would happen?
this is when nutbag conspiracy theories start to look true;
use one bad action by criminals - to pretend some other bad action by govt is somehow needed and good for the law abiding. it's what i call: a LIE.

please think about what you've said, and what i've said. i mean this sincerely.
04-23-2012 03:35 AM
armygreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rdog View Post
Actually 2012 is not the end of the Mayan Calendar but the end of an age or time period. At each end was a major society collapse such as both world wars, the fall of the Berlin wall, fall of Rome, 1776, and so on. It will simply be the start of a new era. Doomsday is a tag to make money. But to prep is wise for ones self and family. It's insurance for in case sh.
good post, i've felt that about this thing since i first heard of it a few years ago.
04-23-2012 03:33 AM
armygreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluebuggy View Post
What you didn't hear is the fact that the Navy and CG helos that were conducting SAR missions were taking small arms fire. Instead of shooting back, they took guns, was it right, no, but it waz better than the alternative.
i did not hear that, please expand if you want to or post links, this is news to me and if it occurred why was it not widely reported?

what are sar missions?
i am guessing you mean they were flying around the flooded areas?

however, don't you believe that anyone shooting at a helo in this scenario were looters and criminals who didn't want their actions seen, video'ed, and reported? iow: NOT anyone with a registered gun, but all those creeps who never followed any law in the first place,

so what good would it do to go disarm the law abiding people?

my sentiments on the scenario stand firmer after you're telling me this.

and as for not firing back - why not? they should have!
or they should have remained out of range of fire but nearby and called in for some millitary action to jump in and assist locating those shooters.

please feel free to elaborate on your post because all it did thus far was confirm what i and many others have said about that situation.
04-22-2012 09:49 PM
lilbluebuggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by armygreen

- after katrina they used a list of gun owners' addresses to go around taking guns from everyone on that list. taking guns during a disaster when looting and other crimes were rampant, taking guns from the law-abiding only, as the felons with guns weren't on their list because they're felons - they don't buy guns at a gun store.
- in the wake of that horrific action, the governor of KY signed into law that KY will NOT do this to its citizens, he signed 2 important gun legislations in the wake of katrina gungrabbing: castle doctrine, and no gungrabbing during some disaster.
What you didn't hear is the fact that the Navy and CG helos that were conducting SAR missions were taking small arms fire. Instead of shooting back, they took guns, was it right, no, but it waz better than the alternative.
04-22-2012 08:22 PM
wat3rdog Actually 2012 is not the end of the Mayan Calendar but the end of an age or time period. At each end was a major society collapse such as both world wars, the fall of the Berlin wall, fall of Rome, 1776, and so on. It will simply be the start of a new era. Doomsday is a tag to make money. But to prep is wise for ones self and family. It's insurance for in case sh.
04-10-2012 01:52 PM
Megafriday Didn't the Mayan world effectively end in the mid-1500s? Perhaps their calculations/ predictions weren't all that accurate? Or they built in a +/- 500 year tolerance?
04-10-2012 12:53 PM
firemt04
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYLINE-CJ5
Most people dont believe that it was supposed to be the end of the world. But theres alot of folks that do.
That is very true
04-10-2012 12:51 PM
SKYLINE-CJ5 Most people dont believe that it was supposed to be the end of the world. But theres alot of folks that do.
04-10-2012 12:39 PM
firemt04
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYLINE-CJ5
When the Mayans created their calender, leap year wasn't created yet, they used 28 days in February, every year. Adding up all the extra days since leap year was created, and going by the Mayan calender, the world should've ended roughly 9 months ago.

I believe our government will fall, eventually, but who knows when?

I have Jesus, Jeep, Glock, and Winchester on my side, So I feel that I am prepared.

My .02
I never thought the end of the Mayan calendar was suppose to be the end of the world. I believe that is just as far as they made it.
04-10-2012 11:29 AM
SKYLINE-CJ5 When the Mayans created their calender, leap year wasn't created yet, they used 28 days in February, every year. Adding up all the extra days since leap year was created, and going by the Mayan calender, the world should've ended roughly 9 months ago.

I believe our government will fall, eventually, but who knows when?

I have Jesus, Jeep, Glock, and Winchester on my side, So I feel that I am prepared.

My .02
04-10-2012 09:00 AM
firemt04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
Okay, a bit of a moral/ethical question for you guys...

Would you be willing to use force to take what you need/want?

I know that sounds like a simple yes and I'm would imagine most people would. However, how is that going to reflect upon the rebuilding of society. People will survive and early on in the rebuilding process I'd think people's transgressions will not be forgotten as order comes from chaos.

Also, do you think a doomsday scenario would turn into an "every man for himself" situation, or do you believe in the general good of man and people will band together? I'm in the belief there would be roving gangs that would take by force what they are not given. I believe people though, out of the necessity to survive, will depend upon each other and small communities or groups will come together. I don't think that would take that long. Humans flock to humans. In that situation, having a certain skill set could make you a valuable commodity, and essentially make your life, and that of your family, somewhat "easier."

Something else to think about...so many people are headed out of town, what do you think is going to come off the wild life a larger number of people will be hunting? You will have a scenario of more people looking for a decreasing number of resources. I think this would be the initial situation, but as people start to die off (for any number of reasons), the wildlife will replenish and there will be more of a balance and availability of food. I think in the beginning, once the initial panic has passed, people will get out of town and there will be a fight for food. After that passes, the situation would probably stabilize. This is the reason I think it's important to have a group to travel/live with and have a valuable skill set.

Just a few thoughts. I could go on and on, but I've got to get ready for school to start in a bit.
Taking my force would be my last stitch effort unless it's life of death.

And I believe that there will be both. I think there will be groups of people help each other and running in "packs" and also gangs out to loot and destroy. And you will also see loaners.

The wild life situation I believe will take a drop in population. There a millions of people who don't prep and will start hunting. They have no idea how to preserve meat so they will eat on the animal for a day or two at the most and go out to kill more leaving lots of waste.

Skill sets are very important. For more info on skill sets go to ITS Tactical's website. They are very informative.
04-10-2012 08:43 AM
wickedyj95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Okay, a bit of a moral/ethical question for you guys...

Would you be willing to use force to take what you need/want?

I know that sounds like a simple yes and I'm would imagine most people would. However, how is that going to reflect upon the rebuilding of society. People will survive and early on in the rebuilding process I'd think people's transgressions will not be forgotten as order comes from chaos.

Also, do you think a doomsday scenario would turn into an "every man for himself" situation, or do you believe in the general good of man and people will band together? I'm in the belief there would be roving gangs that would take by force what they are not given. I believe people though, out of the necessity to survive, will depend upon each other and small communities or groups will come together. I don't think that would take that long. Humans flock to humans. In that situation, having a certain skill set could make you a valuable commodity, and essentially make your life, and that of your family, somewhat "easier."

Something else to think about...so many people are headed out of town, what do you think is going to come off the wild life a larger number of people will be hunting? You will have a scenario of more people looking for a decreasing number of resources. I think this would be the initial situation, but as people start to die off (for any number of reasons), the wildlife will replenish and there will be more of a balance and availability of food. I think in the beginning, once the initial panic has passed, people will get out of town and there will be a fight for food. After that passes, the situation would probably stabilize. This is the reason I think it's important to have a group to travel/live with and have a valuable skill set.

Just a few thoughts. I could go on and on, but I've got to get ready for school to start in a bit.

Well thats a tough thing to have to answer but here is mine . The first thing i think of really is yes i think things will become extremly unstable when TSHTF . A prime example ... actually two..Katrina hit new orleans, the way people were acting inside that staduim was absolutley lawless even with some law enforcment around children getting raped killed and people beating and stealing, it was chaos. Then a more recent thing , Ky wins a championship basketball tourney ..... and they freaking riot in the streets! it happens everywhere . People get out of control and thats just the way it is.Would I use force to get what i need , yes ! I too live by an ethos taught to me by the marines ..acomplish the mission ,by any means nessesary. My mission is to stay alive and make damn sure my family does too. Its gonna take one real lucky or more skilled opponent to take me out I garuntee that.Do I hope that it comes down to that , hell no , but you gotta look in the mirror and ask yourself how far are YOU willing to go to survive . I took an oath to defend this country from all enemies forgien and domestic, and i will do that untill my last breath . That is what makes this country the Greatest in the entire world . Freedom isnt free ladies and gentlemen , Ive fought next to some of the toughest warriors the free world has never know, some ive been home with and met their familes and have become brothers with and others ive laid to rest . Awareness is the key along with communication . We cannot do anything alone but in numbers we will prevail.
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC