Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum > Wrangler question

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Wrangler question Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-28-2012 03:13 PM
ESP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jervboy View Post
Thanks for all the info Dawgs! I did know about all the differences and also have read that instead of paying up front in the area of 6-7 grand for the Rubicon you would be better served investing less aftermarket and modifying your rig and wind up with better results. I just keep seeing and hearing different things with regards to comparisons between Wranglers and say Toyota FJ Cruisers or some other off road vehickles and they always compare them but they do the comparison with a Rubicon. I was just wondering how my JKUS measured up?
FJs and JKs

Jeep Rubicon and Toyota FJ Cruiser Off-Road in Hawaii - YouTube
03-28-2012 02:39 PM
CharTay The only time I see locker in my bros Jeep out do my Jeep is in the rocks and I usually just hit it going a little faster and I'm fine!
03-28-2012 02:19 PM
Ibuildembig But there are always gonna be trails and times where speed and power are needed.....ya can't crawl up everything
03-28-2012 02:15 PM
baytownbert One time in Hot Springs, Arkansas, a number of us short Jeeps were trying repeatedly to get up a gnarly longish incline with limited success. A basically stock Cherokee w/MT's came along and slowly drove up it and went out of sight. It was quiet as a mouse...
03-28-2012 02:10 PM
JIMBOX --I don't care !

JIMBO
03-28-2012 02:05 PM
daggo66 It depends on the driver and the vehicle. There are no absolutes. A 4 door will climb hills that stop a 2 door. The JK with Trac Lok and BLD along with a driver who knows how to use them will surprise you.

I'm not saying that lockers aren't better, I'm saying they make things easier.
03-28-2012 02:00 PM
WatchThis! There will allways be that place that a locked stock jeep can climb that one thats stock and not locked cant go. 4 wheels pulling full force is just better then the power being split between them. This is not a problem for lots of folks that dont want to attempt these kinds of things... But the only way an unlocked jeep can make it up such hills is by using a locked jeep up top as an tie off point for there winch.... Im not trying to get in a pissing contest but thats just the way it is.
03-28-2012 01:46 PM
I8up Yeah Rubicons sure are purty
03-28-2012 01:33 PM
Ibuildembig Yeah you have to do my approach....back up and hit it
03-28-2012 01:25 PM
daggo66
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
Well almost anywhere, there are some hill climbs and ledges that you just cant do without lockers.
I disagree. It can be done, just not with as much ease.
03-28-2012 01:23 PM
JIMBOX There's no limit on the amount of "mods" you can do toa jeep, but

You can never "Duplicate" a RUBICON-

03-28-2012 01:10 PM
Jervboy Thanks for all the info Dawgs! I did know about all the differences and also have read that instead of paying up front in the area of 6-7 grand for the Rubicon you would be better served investing less aftermarket and modifying your rig and wind up with better results. I just keep seeing and hearing different things with regards to comparisons between Wranglers and say Toyota FJ Cruisers or some other off road vehickles and they always compare them but they do the comparison with a Rubicon. I was just wondering how my JKUS measured up?
03-28-2012 12:46 PM
baytownbert On another note, if you are running 33" or smaller tires and off-road sensibly, the Dana 30 is a heckava front axle. I saw a lot of TJ's bust Dana 35's, but can't recall seeing a Dana 30 grenade. I also do not recommend ever hooking a strap to the front of your Jeep and backing up to extract a stuck vehicle if you can turn around and pull it.

That front axle just ain't meant for that, but the back? Shazam! Like I said above. These are things you learn on the trail.
03-28-2012 12:30 PM
ESP OP there is a lot of great info here. Re read both daggo and bert's replies. Your stock JKU is very capable. Go wheel it and see.
03-28-2012 12:28 PM
WatchThis! Oh yeah and how did I forget about the front dana 44!!! Tcase and the 44 the reasons.... But I bought my jeep for 1 reason and thats to beat the crap it of it. If I was to buy another one that I wasnt planing on doing crazy stuff in I would be more then happy with a sport.... As long as it didnt have oppen difs that is.
03-28-2012 12:21 PM
baytownbert Equipment, especially top of the line equipment does not make anyone a better, safer, or experienced off-roader. Take your Jeep whereever you can and when you repeatedly can't overcome an obstacle, upgrade. the same rule applies to Rubicon owners as it does to us sport drivers.

Rubicons are basically set up for rocks. Push button lockers and swaybar disconnects, plus heavier axles and transfer case...but a pure stock Jeep JK can do some amazing things without mods. YMMV


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jervboy View Post
I guess I never had this ENVY thing with my old rig but am feeling it now because of the Rubicon. I read up on this a little but what is the big difference between the two 4WD's in the two models? The locking differential?
03-28-2012 12:13 PM
WatchThis! And the 4:1 Tcase and the elect sway bar discos. The tcase is the main reason I went with a rubi.
03-28-2012 12:08 PM
Jervboy I guess I never had this ENVY thing with my old rig but am feeling it now because of the Rubicon. I read up on this a little but what is the big difference between the two 4WD's in the two models? The locking differential?
03-28-2012 12:07 PM
clvnmcd If you are already going where you want, then you must have an adequate offroader, I've got the Rubicon and I don't think I will be using it's full potential until I am no longer afraid of body damage.
03-28-2012 12:06 PM
JIMBOX "Rock Crawling", technically refers to traversing VERY ROCKY terrain, that requires Driving care/safe route lines and very low speed-

Any stock jeep can doit, there's just a matter of undercarriage/body/fender/roll over damage-that takes driving ability--not Rubicon status-

Several years ago, one of the RUBICON Rangers used a STOCK JKUR, no lift/stock tires/stock bumpers and he was everywhere-

Heh Heh, yea he suffered bumper/body damage, but minor--

The basic requirement for the jeep is--LEARN TO DRIVEIT FIRST !

JIMBO
03-28-2012 12:02 PM
WatchThis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.
Well almost anywhere, there are some hill climbs and ledges that you just cant do without lockers.
03-28-2012 11:51 AM
4fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.
^^this! If you feel your rig is inadequate for some reason, then mod it to make it adequate!
03-28-2012 11:43 AM
marc1230 You have a case of Rubicon envy. Only known treatment is to buy a Rubicon
03-28-2012 11:42 AM
daggo66 It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.
03-28-2012 11:41 AM
Jervboy
Wrangler question

All right here we go. I have a 2011 JKU Sport S, my second Wrangler. My first was a '97 Wrangler SE. My question or concern is, with the introduction of the Rubicon and the knowledge that hard core wheelers make extrodinary modifications to tjeir rigs, is a stock JKU considered an adequate off road vehickle? I do no rock crawling, obviously, but I do my share of off roading, trail riding, foul weather runs, mud runs and the such, I have a winch and upgraded my tires slightly but am feeling like I don't have the real deal off road rig because I don't have the equipment that comes with a Rubican. I never have any real issues off road but was looking for some opinions?????

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC