Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum > Damn that's pricey. . .

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Damn that's pricey. . . Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-05-2012 10:58 PM
MarineHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
Me and you both Marine...
It's worth it--sort of.
04-05-2012 10:19 PM
MarineHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
You definitely gave new meaning to the phrase "Jeep build." Dragged the economy outta the crapper practically all by yourself.





Classic!
Mercfully, my rental vehicle (more economic stimulus) is a big white Silverado, so, even if "the Birds" come and start pooping, I may never know.
04-05-2012 10:09 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
This is all wrong. OP should do like I did: buy a 4" lift; replace about 1/3 of it with superior (in my case Synergy) parts; replace all of the stock front end components; buy some new bumpers and winch; add about 17 new skid plates; reinforce the front (D44) axle; relocate EVAP; new ball joints; etc ... Spend, spend, spend. Help the ecomony like I did.
You definitely gave new meaning to the phrase "Jeep build." Dragged the economy outta the crapper practically all by yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
But the main thing you're going to need, and it won't cost more than about $6.00 at Home Depot, is a six-inch rat trap (with moldy bread wrapped around the trigger mechanism) to prevent THIS!!!:




... happening to your Jeep that is. Trust me, it's better than all the body armor or steel bumpers you could ever buy. Get a rat trap!


Classic!
04-05-2012 10:04 PM
chris.george
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
This is all wrong. OP should do like I did: buy a 4" lift; replace about 1/3 of it with superior (in my case Synergy) parts; replace all of the stock front end components; buy some new bumpers and winch; add about 17 new skid plates; reinforce the front (D44) axle; relocate EVAP; new ball joints; etc ... Spend, spend, spend. Help the ecomony like I did.

But the main thing you're going to need, and it won't cost more than about $6.00 at Home Depot, is a six-inch rat trap (with moldy bread wrapped around the trigger mechanism) to prevent THIS!!!:

... happening to your Jeep that is. Trust me, it's better than all the body armor or steel bumpers you could ever buy. Get a rat trap!
Me and you both Marine...
04-05-2012 10:01 PM
MarineHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post


Nothing like being able to save some grocery $$ for future mods.
This is all wrong. OP should do like I did: buy a 4" lift; replace about 1/3 of it with superior (in my case Synergy) parts; replace all of the stock front end components; buy some new bumpers and winch; add about 17 new skid plates; reinforce the front (D44) axle; relocate EVAP; new ball joints; etc ... Spend, spend, spend. Help the ecomony like I did.

But the main thing you're going to need, and it won't cost more than about $6.00 at Home Depot, is a six-inch rat trap (with moldy bread wrapped around the trigger mechanism) to prevent THIS!!!:















... happening to your Jeep that is. Trust me, it's better than all the body armor or steel bumpers you could ever buy. Get a rat trap!
04-05-2012 09:55 PM
New2012JEEP Everything in my signature has been done for under $3k. Just a benchmark for DIY, minus the amp, that was installed. Including procal and grade 8 bolts.
04-05-2012 08:19 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
I have the very deal worked out for the next 2 weeks. 2 large pizzas, salad, and ice cream. Lifting a JK this Saturday and and Xj the next.

Bob K.


Nothing like being able to save some grocery $$ for future mods.
04-05-2012 08:17 PM
nwbronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Bam!

I have the very deal worked out for the next 2 weeks. 2 large pizzas, salad, and ice cream. Lifting a JK this Saturday and and Xj the next.


Bob K.
04-05-2012 08:16 PM
kbwwolf Of course, tires/wheels are another part of the equation to lifting your Jeep.

I'm gonna assume that you plan on sticking with the 33" tires...that's about as big as you can go before you start incurring a bunch of potential extra costs.

First thing you gotta decide on is the wheel size. A lot of guys here run 15" wheels for a number of reasons: They're cheaper, lighter and offer a larger contact patch for a given tire. In fact, you can buy a full set of 15" wheels and tires for about the same cost, and often LESS, than just a set of tires in 17" size.

Pretty compelling reason to go smaller. Some peeps, however, don't like the look of the smaller rims. There are other things that factor into it, as well. Most 15" wheels have have backspacing of 3.75" or less...this means they will stick out from your Jeep, often exceeding your fenders. In some states that can earn you a ticket.

Next size up is 16". That's what I run, since DuraTrac doesn't make a 35" tire in a smaller size. You'll still save some $$ over the 17" and 18" sizes.

Just make sure the wheel you choose has a bs of 4.5" or less, so your tires will clear any lift, wheel stops, air dam, etc.

Once you have the wheel picked out, it's tire time. A lot of what goes into tire choice depends on how you plan to use your Jeep. For example, you probably don't want big, heavy MT's if your Jeep is primarily a DD, with little off-road use. And you don't want one that's mainly a road tire if you plan on wheeling regularly.

A good thread for learning some of the ins and outs of selecting wheels/tires is this one:

Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

And here's a thread that has pix and info about tires, which should help you figure out what you want/need:

Show Us Your 33's!
04-05-2012 08:11 PM
chris.george Ditto; decide on what your goals are and what you *really* want your Jeep for and to do. Then you can go from there

If you ever get a party going for an install, I'll be willing to drive down for a weekend. I have some friends in the area so I'll drag them along too.
04-05-2012 07:59 PM
jkjeeper06 You and your buddies can probably do something like this yourself. Like said the 3.5" is unnecessary, so is the brake light extension, cam bolts, and slip yolk eliminator. Why don't you just get the wheels and wheel it in stock form for a while? You can run 33's stock
04-05-2012 07:59 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dozer View Post
does anyone have any laundry that they need to get picked up? because it sounds like i'm getting taken to the cleaners! holy shit! haha.

first off, thank you everyone for all of your advice. i clearly trust you guys hence i posted it. however, i should have prefaced the post by saying that i'm a total newb and that i didn't know what i was doing. i literally walked in there and asked for an estimate on a lift/wheels/tire package, picked some shit out, and here we are.

i knew the package was pricey but i didn't really know what i needed or didn't needed and your input was definitely helpful. the only reason why i went to a shop is honestly, because i don't trust myself (or any of my f'in psycho "let's just use duct tape" friends) to do a proper install job.

time to do more research online. . .
Haha...glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Don't think anybody was ragging on you. I know I wasn't. But it was a pretty shocking bottom line on that estimate.

Anyway, there are numerous options out there that are FAR less expensive, but will still allow you to fix your Jeep up the way you want it. To clear 33's, you really only need something like the TeraFlex leveling kit, which costs $130, and will fix your Jeep's natural rake. Full Traction also makes a very good 2" budget lift.

If you want a better ride, and stiffer springs/shocks, any number of peeps make good kits, with TeraFlex and Rock Krawler being two that are very popular.

Here are some links you should look through, just to get an idea of what others have done:

To lift, or not to lift...

2.5 in or leveling kit?

Downsides to Leveling Kit?

Best lift for the money, with 33" tires
04-05-2012 07:46 PM
J Dozer does anyone have any laundry that they need to get picked up? because it sounds like i'm getting taken to the cleaners! holy sheit! haha.

first off, thank you everyone for all of your advice. i clearly trust you guys hence i posted it. however, i should have prefaced the post by saying that i'm a total newb and that i didn't know what i was doing. i literally walked in there and asked for an estimate on a lift/wheels/tire package, picked some shit out, and here we are.

i knew the package was pricey but i didn't really know what i needed or didn't needed and your input was definitely helpful. the only reason why i went to a shop is honestly, because i don't trust myself (or any of my f'in psycho "let's just use duct tape" friends) to do a proper install job.

time to do more research online. . .
04-05-2012 05:53 PM
12JKUR What did you do, walk in and ask for everything they had in stock?
04-05-2012 05:49 PM
kjeeper10
Quote:
Originally Posted by casotakar1229
woah...glad you got on the forum to ask.
x10

Smacked in the face with knowledge
04-05-2012 05:44 PM
Casotakar1229 woah...glad you got on the forum to ask.
04-05-2012 05:37 PM
chris.george Ditto much of what everyone has said.

I know you're in SoCal, and there are quite a few Jeepers down there who might not mind helping you out to be honest. Especially around the OC Area. Just up the CA forum and put a shout out, out there.
04-05-2012 05:10 PM
4fit Um, Hell No! I also see "JK Front Cam Kit" on there. You definitely don't want to go with cam bolts. Get new lower control arms instead!

Like others have said, get you a 2.5" lift and call it a day. For the wheels/tires, do yourself a favor and get in touch with Discount Tire Direct. Look into a smaller diameter wheel and save you a little bit of money and possibly get a better tire such as the Duratrac.
04-05-2012 04:43 PM
firehawk
Tires/rims

HI, if it includes tires/rims then ok if not do more looking..
04-05-2012 04:39 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
I agree with all you say Wolf, but does he have a 4-door for sure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
2DR is at the top of the sticker.
Ah...good point. Misread his original post to say "JKU."

My bad.

Still, w/a 2-door the angle of his ds would be even worse.

Get around it with the 2.5" lift and TF exhaust spacer, regardless.
04-05-2012 04:34 PM
snikt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post

Find a trail.

Wheel.

Go home and wash your Jeep, and sit down to a fancy steak and lobster dinner with all the thousands of $$ you saved.

Just a suggestion, of course.
I wish you could "like" posts here
04-05-2012 04:34 PM
ESP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
I agree with all you say Wolf, but does he have a 4-door for sure?
2DR is at the top of the sticker.
04-05-2012 04:33 PM
MarineHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I And why a rear ds...on a JKU, it's the front that's the problem with a lift that high. The rear is generally fine, because of the 4-door's longer wheelbase.
I agree with all you say Wolf, but does he have a 4-door for sure?
04-05-2012 04:27 PM
glap1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

I think it's ridiculously high. Surprisingly, moreso for the parts than for the labor (which looks like it's $750).

And why a rear ds...on a JKU, it's the front that's the problem with a lift that high. The rear is generally fine, because of the 4-door's longer wheelbase.

And all for 33" tires?

This is what I would do: Strike a match, and torch that estimate, pronto. Get out your credit card and buy a TF 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and a TF exhaust spacer from Northridge 4x4 for $795. Offer to buy some beer and pizza for a fellow Jeeper who can help you install the lift. Also, get with forum vendor Discount Tire Direct, STAT, and order your wheels/tires. When they arrive (mounted and balanced), bolt em to your Jeep.

Find a trail.

Wheel.

Go home and wash your Jeep, and sit down to a fancy steak and lobster dinner with all the thousands of $$ you saved.

Just a suggestion, of course.
This looks good.
04-05-2012 04:27 PM
ESP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I think it's ridiculously high. Surprisingly, moreso for the parts than for the labor (which looks like it's $750).

And why a rear ds...on a JKU, it's the front that's the problem with a lift that high. The rear is generally fine, because of the 4-door's longer wheelbase.

And all for 33" tires?

This is what I would do: Strike a match, and torch that estimate, pronto. Get out your credit card and buy a TF 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and a TF exhaust spacer from Northridge 4x4 for $795. Offer to buy some beer and pizza for a fellow Jeeper who can help you install the lift. Also, get with forum vendor Discount Tire Direct, STAT, and order your wheels/tires. When they arrive (mounted and balanced), bolt em to your Jeep.

Find a trail.

Wheel.

Go home and wash your Jeep, and sit down to a fancy steak and lobster dinner with all the thousands of $$ you saved.

Just a suggestion, of course.
Bam!
04-05-2012 04:27 PM
MarineHawk Is this exclusive of the cost of the tires and lift?
04-05-2012 04:27 PM
MTH You don't need a 3.5" lift to run 33s. A 2.5" lift is plenty. And that gets rid of the need to replace the driveshaft, which is dubious to begin with even at 3.5".

And you don't need a brake light extension for 33s. I have 33s and the stock position on my brake light easily reaches over the tire.

And you don't need a slip yoke eliminator. JKs don't use those.

And why are you getting 17" wheels for 33s? 16s or 15s will be cheaper and have better tire prices.

Finally, I'd go through the remaining items and find the same (or comparable) products online and make sure you're not getting gouged on the prices in addition to the labor. Request price matching the best price you find online for every item.

Edit: Or just do what Kbwwolf said and be done with it.
04-05-2012 04:25 PM
kbwwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dozer View Post
So what do you guys think? This is an estimate that I got from a local shop to get new wheels, tires and a lift. I have a stock 2012 JK and needed to add all the other components (exhaust bypass, driveshaft, etc.) to accommodate the new rig. Thanks.

The lift is a 3.5'' Rubicon Express.
The wheels are 17's, 33's ATX.
The tires are Firestone all terrain.
I think it's ridiculously high. Surprisingly, moreso for the parts than for the labor (which looks like it's $750).

And why a rear ds...on a JKU, it's the front that's the problem with a lift that high. The rear is generally fine, because of the 4-door's longer wheelbase.

And all for 33" tires? That's too much lift...

This is what I would do: Strike a match, and torch that estimate, pronto. Get out your credit card and buy a TF 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and a TF exhaust spacer from Northridge 4x4 for $795. Offer to buy some beer and pizza for a fellow Jeeper who can help you install the lift. Also, get with forum vendor Discount Tire Direct, STAT, and order your wheels/tires. When they arrive (mounted and balanced), bolt em to your Jeep.

Find a trail.

Wheel.

Go home and wash your Jeep, and sit down to a fancy steak and lobster dinner with all the thousands of $$ you saved.

Just a suggestion, of course.
04-05-2012 04:16 PM
kjeeper10 Hell no

WHY???? <--- yes I yelled

And your plan is to only run a 33" ?
04-05-2012 04:15 PM
New2012JEEP Very pricey
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC