Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion > Wanting to buy a jeep but clueless?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Wanting to buy a jeep but clueless? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-10-2012 08:09 PM
jp2611 I have an '04 TJ with a few "mods" -- have a '12 JK with even fewer "Mods"--- have been driving Jeeps off and on since the early '80s and purchased my first one in the early '90s. They have changed a lot with each "evolution"..IMHO for what you are looking for---get a '12 base model with soft top. Auto or manual is really up to you since you don't plan to take it off road..and honestly it's just a personal preference which one a driver wants even off road.

I didn't plan to buy BLU but when heard the deals going on I couldn't stop myself.
04-10-2012 07:49 PM
HK_Runner Looking at getting a Jeep too so keeping an eye on this thread. Of course, my primary reason would be to take it exploring....would not want a Jeep just to drive the highway to work every day. Good info.
04-10-2012 05:33 AM
glap1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by armygreen
JK not XJ i don't know where i got that.

i disagree very much on the full/half door pricing and availability,
in my area i see half doors for sale a lot, but never fulls;
i've priced both at a dealer and the fulls are insane, over $2grand for a pair and they don't come included with hardware, or paint, i didn't even ask if they include the glass - they lost me early on the quote.

smitty makes JK hardtops - good! glad to hear it, i wonder if it's also sectional or a 1 piece or what; i gotta look into that,
because someday (like 5yrs approx) i'm gonna have to replace my ride and don't wanna look back at 2006's again by then... but i'm very likely to keep owning a wrangler.
Interesting. For TJ and JK it is very difficult to find halves in this area.
JK half doors are also well over 2k new from the dealer. The point is they are a preference, one isn't a premium. Same cost from Jeep if you order a new wrangler.
04-09-2012 08:11 PM
armygreen JK not XJ i don't know where i got that.

i disagree very much on the full/half door pricing and availability,
in my area i see half doors for sale a lot, but never fulls;
i've priced both at a dealer and the fulls are insane, over $2grand for a pair and they don't come included with hardware, or paint, i didn't even ask if they include the glass - they lost me early on the quote.

smitty makes JK hardtops - good! glad to hear it, i wonder if it's also sectional or a 1 piece or what; i gotta look into that,
because someday (like 5yrs approx) i'm gonna have to replace my ride and don't wanna look back at 2006's again by then... but i'm very likely to keep owning a wrangler.
04-09-2012 08:04 AM
SKYLINE-CJ5 Smittybilt makes an aftermarket hard top for the JK's, and a couple others make them also.
04-09-2012 07:01 AM
glap1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach87
I have one more question if i decided to go with a 2011 or 2012 which one is better for the price there is a killer special at a local jeep for brand new ones jw if the extra money is worth it
2012s have a new, more powerful engine than the 07-11, so if you are going new I would personally either get a 2012 if the price was very good or wait until June when you can order a new 2013, which is actually what I am doing. 2013s go on sale in June for September delivery.
04-09-2012 06:58 AM
glap1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by armygreen
i was in this spot last year, i had always liked jeeps but had always needed more cargo space so hadn't shopped for one until last year (life and living situation changed, can get by without cargo space now).

some key points i learned when looking:
2007 and up are significantly different from all previous years for several reasons, which may be pluses or minuses depending on what you want.
I don't see much diff in anything from 2007 to current. called "XJ".

2006 on back to 1996 are primarily the same too, "TJ", more on them in a sec.

1995- i don't know how far back, are the next block where they are mostly the same, YJ,
prior to YJ is CJ which began in the 1940's when these things were first offered to civilians "CJ = civilian jeep".

but i won't speak about YJ and earlier because i know nothing about them -and- you're not looking to buy that old.

XJ - began in 2007,
come in 4 door and 2 door versions,
have a V-6 engine,
are wider than prevous years,
the 4door is i'm sure the longest "wrangler" ever made, i doubt you're looking at the 4door one(?)
these come with hard or soft top, the hard top *appears* functionally neat in that it comes apart into 3 sections (for the 2door), but be wary some people have reported a lot of water leak problems with this hard top, and no aftermarket hardtop yet exists. The flaw is that in order to make the top more sectional, you now have seams that could leak.
Do some research on jeep hardtop leaks, especially if buying a used JK someone may be trying to get rid of a problem.

Older jeeps' hardtops are one piece thus no seam that even can leak really.

the risk of hardtop leaks is a big reason i didn't bother looking at JK's; i just didn't want to risk it, knew i was buying used, etc. This problem simply doesn't exist with TJ's and older.

2006-1996 TJ
have Inline 6 engines, or Inline4, don't buy a 4cyl unless it's really super cheap price!! i saw so many 4cyl's for sale at the same or 95% of the same price i could get a 6cyl, it was just foolish pricing, and they all sat on lots unsold; the 6's would be gone in a week or two. it's okay to buy a 4, but don't do it unless you save a ton, i'll give a number example:
2006 TJ, 6cyl, 40k miles, $18,000,
2006 TJ, 4cyl, 40k miles, $10,000
That would be about right. if someone tries to push that 4cyl on you for $15grand tell them to stuffit.

TJ's also came in a longer-bed version called the "Unlimited". useful if you need a little more cargo space but UNdesirable in the market, so again be aware and don't pay the same price for an "unlimited" -- if they've got the less desirable model, the price has to reflect it.
Mostly, few people want the longer-bed TJ; it doesn't have 4 doors like the longer XJ so it doesn't add that much functional benefit.

Now about other stuff not model specific:

if you're budget is up near $20k then don't even look at any with over 50k miles; you have plenty of funds to find a good one, i missed a deal on one with 20k miles for $16grand, that showed up a week later at another dealer in another state for $19grand - and i still would've bought it, but i had another one already on the way.
Tons of sellers will try to convince you their 150k mile jeep is "good for another 100kmi", don't believe 'em. You have a high enough budget you can get a nice low-mid miles jeep. a 150k mile vehicle may or may not be good for a lot more miles, value is often about RISK, and 150k miles is a lot of darn risk. and jeeps are treated rough, it's not like buying a cadillac used for interstate commuting.

Tops - i found foolish prices on jeeps with soft tops as compared to hard tops. it costs $2grand to buy a hard top, but in the used jeep market it only bumped the price up $1grand. never understood that, if i'm looking at 2 identical jeeps one with hard one with soft, the to me the softie is automatically worth $2grand less, but sellers wouldn't budge, so i passed. i simply found fewer hardtop jeeps available, but they were out there.

doors - another one that surprised me, buying fulldoors new and getting them painted costs well over $2grand; but sellers with simply half doors wouldn't come down on their prices; so i just quit looking at any jeeps that didn't have full metal doors. i'm still confounded by that one. you can get aftermarket halfdoors for dirt; but you can't buy full metal doors anywhere for a low price, no aftermarket makes them, etc.

manual or auto trans - that is simply whatever you prefer, it really didn't make the price higher for either, i just found fewer manuals for sale; technically the auto should cost more but it's negligible.

modifications, lift kits, etc.; be wary if anything was installed properly.

5th wheel - hurt them in the wallet if they were too cheap to have a proper matching 5th wheel. wheels & tires are expensive. i'll buy dorked up or missing stuff if it's CHEAP, if it isn't cheap they can suckit.

pricing - look at ALL resources:
- online dealers
- kelley blue book
- nada blue book
- autotrader.com
and then when you find a jeep or two you like, key their exact parameters into autotrader.com as if you were SELLING that jeep, and see how low the values come back. it'll be shocking. doesn't mean you can ever buy one that low but it lets you know what it's worth if you had to sell in a year.

prior to my jeep i had a vehicle i'd paid $17k for, thought that when i traded it it'd be worth $14k because the kbb and nada both said it was worth $16k-17k,
and instead 3 responses came back telling me it was only worth $9k.
So i looked at the $18k jeeps i was shopping at, they came back valued at $10k.

hope this helps, sorry it's so long
2007-2012 are JK models, not xj. Most of the info is spot on, but the stuff about tops and doors isn't quite. Hard tops new are2k, but used only a couple hundred bucks to 1k depending on the deal. Half doors are rare and cost a ton, while full doors are much easier to find, even with the it's being about the same to possibly a little more.
04-09-2012 05:50 AM
rach87 Thanks a lot that was very helpful!! because i was wondering all that stuff there is so much to think about when looking at jeeps
04-09-2012 04:15 AM
armygreen
Quote:
looking to buy a jeep and I have never had one before I would like to keep the price below 20,000
I probably will not be using it to go four-wheeling
i am totally new at this
i was in this spot last year, i had always liked jeeps but had always needed more cargo space so hadn't shopped for one until last year (life and living situation changed, can get by without cargo space now).

some key points i learned when looking:
2007 and up are significantly different from all previous years for several reasons, which may be pluses or minuses depending on what you want.
I don't see much diff in anything from 2007 to current. called "XJ".

2006 on back to 1996 are primarily the same too, "TJ", more on them in a sec.

1995- i don't know how far back, are the next block where they are mostly the same, YJ,
prior to YJ is CJ which began in the 1940's when these things were first offered to civilians "CJ = civilian jeep".

but i won't speak about YJ and earlier because i know nothing about them -and- you're not looking to buy that old.

XJ - began in 2007,
come in 4 door and 2 door versions,
have a V-6 engine,
are wider than prevous years,
the 4door is i'm sure the longest "wrangler" ever made, i doubt you're looking at the 4door one(?)
these come with hard or soft top, the hard top *appears* functionally neat in that it comes apart into 3 sections (for the 2door), but be wary some people have reported a lot of water leak problems with this hard top, and no aftermarket hardtop yet exists. The flaw is that in order to make the top more sectional, you now have seams that could leak.
Do some research on jeep hardtop leaks, especially if buying a used JK someone may be trying to get rid of a problem.

Older jeeps' hardtops are one piece thus no seam that even can leak really.

the risk of hardtop leaks is a big reason i didn't bother looking at JK's; i just didn't want to risk it, knew i was buying used, etc. This problem simply doesn't exist with TJ's and older.

2006-1996 TJ
have Inline 6 engines, or Inline4, don't buy a 4cyl unless it's really super cheap price!! i saw so many 4cyl's for sale at the same or 95% of the same price i could get a 6cyl, it was just foolish pricing, and they all sat on lots unsold; the 6's would be gone in a week or two. it's okay to buy a 4, but don't do it unless you save a ton, i'll give a number example:
2006 TJ, 6cyl, 40k miles, $18,000,
2006 TJ, 4cyl, 40k miles, $10,000
That would be about right. if someone tries to push that 4cyl on you for $15grand tell them to stuffit.

TJ's also came in a longer-bed version called the "Unlimited". useful if you need a little more cargo space but UNdesirable in the market, so again be aware and don't pay the same price for an "unlimited" -- if they've got the less desirable model, the price has to reflect it.
Mostly, few people want the longer-bed TJ; it doesn't have 4 doors like the longer XJ so it doesn't add that much functional benefit.

Now about other stuff not model specific:

if you're budget is up near $20k then don't even look at any with over 50k miles; you have plenty of funds to find a good one, i missed a deal on one with 20k miles for $16grand, that showed up a week later at another dealer in another state for $19grand - and i still would've bought it, but i had another one already on the way.
Tons of sellers will try to convince you their 150k mile jeep is "good for another 100kmi", don't believe 'em. You have a high enough budget you can get a nice low-mid miles jeep. a 150k mile vehicle may or may not be good for a lot more miles, value is often about RISK, and 150k miles is a lot of darn risk. and jeeps are treated rough, it's not like buying a cadillac used for interstate commuting.

Tops - i found foolish prices on jeeps with soft tops as compared to hard tops. it costs $2grand to buy a hard top, but in the used jeep market it only bumped the price up $1grand. never understood that, if i'm looking at 2 identical jeeps one with hard one with soft, the to me the softie is automatically worth $2grand less, but sellers wouldn't budge, so i passed. i simply found fewer hardtop jeeps available, but they were out there.

doors - another one that surprised me, buying fulldoors new and getting them painted costs well over $2grand; but sellers with simply half doors wouldn't come down on their prices; so i just quit looking at any jeeps that didn't have full metal doors. i'm still confounded by that one. you can get aftermarket halfdoors for dirt; but you can't buy full metal doors anywhere for a low price, no aftermarket makes them, etc.

manual or auto trans - that is simply whatever you prefer, it really didn't make the price higher for either, i just found fewer manuals for sale; technically the auto should cost more but it's negligible.

modifications, lift kits, etc.; be wary if anything was installed properly.

5th wheel - hurt them in the wallet if they were too cheap to have a proper matching 5th wheel. wheels & tires are expensive. i'll buy dorked up or missing stuff if it's CHEAP, if it isn't cheap they can suckit.


pricing - look at ALL resources:
- online dealers
- kelley blue book
- nada blue book
- autotrader.com
and then when you find a jeep or two you like, key their exact parameters into autotrader.com as if you were SELLING that jeep, and see how low the values come back. it'll be shocking. doesn't mean you can ever buy one that low but it lets you know what it's worth if you had to sell in a year.

prior to my jeep i had a vehicle i'd paid $17k for, thought that when i traded it it'd be worth $14k because the kbb and nada both said it was worth $16k-17k,
and instead 3 responses came back telling me it was only worth $9k.
So i looked at the $18k jeeps i was shopping at, they came back valued at $10k.

hope this helps, sorry it's so long
04-08-2012 11:48 PM
blackforestgreen if you are going to spend around 20 grand, might as well spend 3000 grand more and get a base sport with air and auto.
04-08-2012 08:08 PM
rach87 I have one more question if i decided to go with a 2011 or 2012 which one is better for the price there is a killer special at a local jeep for brand new ones jw if the extra money is worth it
04-07-2012 06:43 PM
Casotakar1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach87 View Post
Yeah I went and test drove a 2007 the other day and I loved it I just wanted to see if I even liked the way they drive because I had never drove one before and I loved it it was just a little to pricey for the condition though I love the look of them and the fact that you can take the top down on warm days and the fact that it has 4wd for the winters which is needed because i live in western nc but i plan to go and look at some this coming weekend and test drive and go from there thanks for all the input i will let ya know what i decide
yes, best thing you can do is actually test drive many different ones, even the ones you think are way over priced and you'll never get (because well, that's just fun to test a completely loaded jeep). at least through testing them it'll show you which you like and don't and reinforce your decision when you decide to purchase. good luck.
04-07-2012 04:13 PM
rach87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
a bit of a personal plug, but i would look for a 2004-2006 LJ. great for daily driving, awesome offroad, extra interior room, stands out from swb wranglers. i have mine in the classifieds in MA; fly up, drive back!!
Sounds Temping and its really nice looking but to far for me
04-07-2012 02:24 PM
rach87 Yeah I went and test drove a 2007 the other day and I loved it I just wanted to see if I even liked the way they drive because I had never drove one before and I loved it it was just a little to pricey for the condition though I love the look of them and the fact that you can take the top down on warm days and the fact that it has 4wd for the winters which is needed because i live in western nc but i plan to go and look at some this coming weekend and test drive and go from there thanks for all the input i will let ya know what i decide
04-07-2012 11:45 AM
Casotakar1229 best thing to do is go to a dealership (with no intention to buy...yet ) and test drive them. see what you like, there are SO many different options with a jeep it's hard to just narrow down exactly what you may want...THEN come back on here and tell us what you thought.

I have a feeling you'll like just about any jeep you get into...good luck. I'm sure other forum members will pop in.

oh and welcome to wf!
04-07-2012 10:34 AM
rwh63 a bit of a personal plug, but i would look for a 2004-2006 LJ. great for daily driving, awesome offroad, extra interior room, stands out from swb wranglers. i have mine in the classifieds in MA; fly up, drive back!!
04-07-2012 09:31 AM
BPD +1 on what glap1922 said! Good luck!

But there is nothing wrong with that 2005 x style. But it is not worth anything near 20k..imo
04-06-2012 07:55 AM
glap1922 If you are looking to spend that much and just want a nice ride you should probably look at the 2007+ range. Those have a more plush interior than the 96-2006 versions and you would be able to get into an 07-08 with good miles for under 20. If you decide you do want something from 96-06 I would recommend getting the 6 vs the 4banger.
04-06-2012 06:21 AM
rach87
Wanting to buy a jeep but clueless?

Hi I am looking to buy a jeep and I have never had one before I would like to keep the price below 20,000 I probably will not be using it to go four-wheeling but just to have a nice ride anyways I have been noticing that the 2005 x style is on the cheaper side and was wondering if that year and edition is not that great or just cheaper style in that year I would like any suggestions because i am totally new at this and would like to get something that will last me a long time which i figure any jeep will but with like anything you just have to watch what you get thanks a bunch

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC