|06-13-2012 10:13 AM|
First of all, build a set of ramps so you can drive a vehicle into one of your loading docks!
Then you can either keep your Jeep running (and continue to enjoy the Jeep life) or work on a $3000 used car to get it up to speed.
|06-13-2012 07:05 AM|
At my old warehouse, I had room I could pull things in and do work, in fact, I did a pretty extensive redo of a 67 Mustang for one of my step daughters first car (interesting but long read 1967 Ford Mustang - Drums, PA owned by jus4al-e) So I do have the ability. We got a new warehouse for our business, sadly it does not have a drive in ground level opening, Only Tractor trailer height docks, so I can not take the Jeep (or anything else) in there there to do work on it.
Oh For those wondering buying a house without a garage, when I bought the house I had the warehouse, so I had a place to work on anything. But as mentioned above, I know longer have that. But as far as the house without a garage, I still like the house even without a garage, no regrets there......
Seems you are all thinking keep the Jeep.......It is a hard decision be so much easier if I had a place to properly do the work. I am Ok with the body and paint, of course I would like it better fixed up......Really thought about doing body work a bit here and there as I could, even if I went out and had someone plasma cut the bad and tack in new steel in its place, then I could putty or glass it in half way decent.......Maybe do a quick y paint job with a hvlp gun under tent in the yard Not perfect but it would be an improvement.....I am just worried if the mechanicals really start going down hill. I can not afford to pay someone to do it but the side yard is not a perfect place for major projects either, then again I still could sooner or later use suspension (But then again, it is doing allright as it is)
Yes I love having it, the 3 grand would not buy an upgrade, it would be just be something else used that would have it's own undiscovered problems so I still have much to think about. It is a tough decision! Part of me says it was long ago paid for run it as long as I can hold it together then sell it to someone that wants a project or part it out.......The other part of me says take the money and run, things will work out down the road for another....AAARRRGGGHHHH I hate trying to decide (But I am starting to lean towards keeping it but part of me says that is selfish and not the smartest choice)
|06-12-2012 06:03 PM|
I solved a similar dilemma with my '80 CJ-5 . . . . . . I kept the CJ to do a restoration and use as a toy, and bought a '10 Wrangler as my regular ride.
Best of both worlds!!!
The current ride:
|06-12-2012 05:45 PM|
|4Jeepn||sorry I am still on the part about a new old house with out a jeep garage.... okay.. keep the jeep unless you need the 3k that bad. My YJ sits most of the year as our backup jeep... if we need it its there. Nice not to have to worry.|
|06-12-2012 05:35 PM|
Man there is nothing more sweet looking than a well restored YJ, but with all the rust, unless some of your talents include welding and fabricating, you got a lot of metalwork to do. IMO if it was a matter of some bondo and bolting on new parts, I'd keep it.
Wouldn't make sense to drive it till it falls apart and not be worth more than 300 bucks. It may find a good home and someone who has the $$ and talent to restore it. I'm sure it'll be a hard decision to let the ol' girl go. Good luck.
|06-12-2012 05:29 PM|
|darkproximity||Stock yj springs are basically flat to begin with, those springs actually look pretty good|
|06-12-2012 05:23 PM|
I hang on to vehicles until they fall apart and start costing too much to maintain. If I were in your shoes (knowing as little about you as I do), I would buy some new springs and keep driving that YJ. If the paint/rust doesn't bother you, just keep driving and enjoying it.
Otherwise, will the $3000 help buy you something reliable and solid?
|06-12-2012 03:57 PM|
Torn Should I sell my YJ
I have a 95 YJ, love it very much.
Problem is it is getting older and really needs some past due TLC.
Suspension is shot (Springs are flat and God knows how old shocks are I think OEM) Body has several spots past owners putty repair is splitting out and one ore two crappy fiberglass patches. Paint is shot, in fact it is now basic sprayed rattle can black...... Just nearing 200K on the miles. Runs great, shifts great, 4wd functions great. Floor pan is good, had a few bad places I got cut out and welded in new metal......I had purchase Monster liner to do interior tub and
Chassis saver to paint undercarriage.....My problem is we moved to a new (111 year old house) I have no garage so only would have outside under a canopy to do this work in the side yard. I think it is getting to the point if it does not get soemwork done on it, it will start really going down hill (Even though with all the problems, I still consider it reliable and would take it anywhere)
My thing is a close friend would like to buy it at the end of summer. Offered me 3000.00 for it which I think is really decent money considering what should be done to it....He wants to do a body off redo over the winter. (He has proper garage) He used to have a Jeep about 10 years ago and wants another.
Seems like I should sell it, But I know I will miss it. This economy It would be a bit before I can get another. Our family would not be without as my wife has a TJ, it is her daily driver. I would still get some Jeep time just not all the time like I do now.]
So what do you think, Let me friend buy it and give it a real fix up, body off, new tub, really doing it right....Or do I hang on to it, Jack it up paint what I can underneath, do suspension down the road when I am able and either patch up the body as I can and get a cheap paint job, or pay for a cheap paint job........At first it was easy, take the money, it is decent dollars for what it is. But driving round in the warm weather no top, no doors, not to mention the enjoyment in the winter knowing it will get me where ever I need to go despite the weather. I am now having doubts knowing I would miss it. I really do not know anymore what to do, I am not asking you to decide for me, But give me your two cents, what do you think you would do in my shoes........If I had a proper place to do the work, also if I had more money but the economy has been harsh, my business is down 67% from 2 years ago so not alot of extra dollars...My repairs would have to be a little here a little there just getting by It is a tough call! Tell me what you think!