Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum > 430n speed sensitive volume?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: 430n speed sensitive volume? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-03-2013 09:40 AM
dpostman Just a quick lookup, and seems the 430n does MP3 and WMA only. And you are right, iPods and iTunes have no FLAC support unfortunately.

dp
07-03-2013 08:56 AM
Bad_Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpostman View Post
Bad_Dog: I also think MP3 is, as you say it "Evil". I can't stand anything at 128kbs. I pretty much encode everything at 320. I've only had my Jeep for a month and a half, and I have not yet tried any FLAC files yet, but I assume they will not work on the 430n. Many of the Sirius channels are so compressed that I can't listen to them. And the ones that are less compressed, sound borderline OK but only play shitty music so...
Sirius audio quality is a whole other thread, and I agree with you.

FLAC is something that I haven't spent time playing with, but not many devices will play it. I highly doubt our HU will play it. It probably only supports WAV, MP3, and WMV (I'm too lazy to look it up). I don't even think an iPod will play FLAC.

Another reason why I've invested time in it is because I really don't want to re-rip my entire library. I did it all at 320 (though I have a few at 256) and I don't hear the compression so I'm happy with it.
07-03-2013 07:39 AM
dpostman Warning : OT

ooOOoooo look at me!!! THIS is officially my 100th post
07-03-2013 07:36 AM
dpostman Thanks Panthermark, That was the thread I was thinking of, but did not have time to look it up yesterday.

Bad_Dog: I also think MP3 is, as you say it "Evil". I can't stand anything at 128kbs. I pretty much encode everything at 320. I've only had my Jeep for a month and a half, and I have not yet tried any FLAC files yet, but I assume they will not work on the 430n. Many of the Sirius channels are so compressed that I can't listen to them. And the ones that are less compressed, sound borderline OK but only play shitty music so...

I also did a bit of FM radio installs, but In my previous life, I mainly worked/toured as a soundman and tech director. For the past 15 years, I've been playing the A/V guy and medical photographer in a Hospital. The hours are way better, and I spend much more time at home. My party trick back then was to call out frequencies that other techs would play back or when the monitor tech on stage was getting feedback, I'd call out the frequency from the FOH on the clearcoms.

dp
07-03-2013 12:37 AM
panthermark http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/aud...al-150208.html
07-02-2013 03:41 PM
sfhock Woah, what's this about a jumper and the hard top VS soft top?? I took my hard top off like 4 days after buying my Jeep so I can't say it's a soft top only behavior, but if there is a way to fix/bypass this annoyance I'd love to find out how!! Can anyone talk about how we would go about creating this Jumper?
07-02-2013 12:49 PM
Bad_Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircody View Post
You said this is during CD play and Ipod? Are the CDs Burned ones or Original? Reason I ask is, if you download your music to burn and to put on the Ipod, check your Bites Rate settings....the Best is 96kbs and 128kbs, anything higher is overkill and distorts speakers....Alot of people use Variable kbs but unless it is converted from a PERFECT audio the sound goes up and down and then a sudden blast of highs...LOL...
I'm not going to turn this into a bashing thread... but seriously? Are you suggesting that audio from a CD is overkill and distorts speakers, but if you down-compress the audio to 96kbps, it improves it? Personally, my library is ripped at 320kb Stereo. I can't listen to 128kb or less, it really hurts my ears.

If you want to kill some time and educate yourself, read up on the MP3 codec and learn what it actually does to audio. It's evil.

At a few parties, I've been a party favor - I would listen to the song that was playing on the host's iPod and tell you what the MP3 bitrate was and whether it was Joint Stereo (which is EVIL!) or Stereo. Yes, my ears are that good. I used to adjust the processing that Radio stations use (I used to work in that industry).

If you're an audiophile and want pristine audio, you're not going to be doing it in audio that comes with the Jeep (regardless whether you got premium or not).
07-02-2013 11:56 AM
victor1955 Personally I like the volume decrease at low speeds. FWIW, my 2013 Sahara does it with the hard top on. What is annoying to me about the 430 is no way to balance volume between devices such as my iPod and SAT radio. iPod has much lower volume even with its volume at max. Had a 2 year old JVC head unit in the Xterra I traded and every volume source could be adjusted.
07-02-2013 11:44 AM
dpostman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircody View Post
if you download your music to burn and to put on the Ipod, check your Bites Rate settings....the Best is 96kbs and 128kbs, anything higher is overkill and distorts speakers....


I don't want to sound like an audiophile prude, but if I had to listen to music encoded at 96kbs or 128kbs, I probably would quite listening to music.

I will add a +1 to those that already mentioned that the Speed sensitive volume seems to be engaged when you unplug the hard top wiring harness in the back, to put on the soft top. This seems to be bypassed by putting in the "Jumper" that is explained in several other threads. I have removed my hard top, and put on my soft top a few weeks ago and I noticed the volume changing as well. I have a jumper made for it already, but have not put it in yet, because several of my past vehicles had the speed sensitive volume and I liked it. Saves me from reaching for the volume control every time I get to a stop.

dp
07-02-2013 11:32 AM
IORRichie
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Mine does it as well. I have the premium system with a 430 tbs installed. I don't think it did it with the hard top on, and I don't have my jumper in right now. That could be the fix.
please let me know if that fixes it. If it does please let me know what wires to jump...
07-02-2013 11:14 AM
panthermark Mine does it as well. I have the premium system with a 430 tbs installed. I don't think it did it with the hard top on, and I don't have my jumper in right now. That could be the fix.
07-02-2013 11:11 AM
IORRichie Mine does it! I hate it so much. And as others can't find a way to disable it.
07-02-2013 09:21 AM
sfhock Over at Jeep Garage, a user has done a lot of research into the issue and has narrowed it down to the amplifier (so it only applies to those of us with the "premium sound system" option. Doesn't look like he ever found a solution tho..
Further Down the Rabbit Hole We Go - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
07-02-2013 08:58 AM
Bad_Dog I've only noticed it since I switched to the soft top. I used to work in broadcasting and audio was my life, so I hear these sort of things. I've noticed that when I slow down the volume does decrease. Don't remember noticing it when the hard top was on.

Just yesterday I noticed it when I would stop at red lights and looked through the menu system to see if there was an adjustment. Nope, not even an acknowledgment that it exists.
07-02-2013 08:54 AM
sfhock I'm having the same issue! There is a definite difference in volume (decrease) when I come to a stop and then it goes up when I start moving again. It's really noticeable and really annoying. Happens on CDs, Sat Radio, Hard Drive songs.. everything!!
11-19-2012 10:30 PM
LarsA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pain 80 View Post
So, took it into the shop this past Saturday, according to the dealer, I am imagining things.
No, I've noticed the same thing myself: the volume definitely decreases when the Jeep comes to a stop, and goes back up when I get moving again. I was going nuts sifting through all the menus, trying to turn off this feature. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible. I've only listened to the (free) Sirius radio so far (have only had my JKUR a few weeks), but I'm sure the speed sensitive volume applies with other media as well.

Oh well, I still love my Jeep!
10-09-2012 09:55 AM
Master Pain 80 So, took it into the shop this past Saturday, according to the dealer, I am imagining things.
10-01-2012 10:23 AM
Master Pain 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
So far so good, loving it.
Same here, fell in love with it as soon as I pulled out of the lot.

I have an appointment this coming saturday for the dealer to look at the stereo because they think it seems kinda weird. Who knows, maybe it is something that needs to be programmed in the computer or something weird like that.
09-28-2012 05:04 PM
jwilson2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pain 80

sweet, so Im not crazy. Yeah, the fact there is no option was driving me nuts going through the settings.

So, JWilson2598, I heard I just missed you when I went to pick up my Commando. How you liking your new Jeep? I'm in love with mine.
So far so good, loving it.
09-28-2012 01:45 PM
sircody Nah, the connnector for rear wiper and defogg goes thru the Canbus and Chrysler programed the amp/head unit to lower the volume when top is off for a few reasons, but main one is not to Blast other Drivers ears I guess....lol...but there are some write ups showing how to put a Resistor jumped on the connector in back when topp is off....I use to have a music problem with my songs doing alot like you are talking about and I found out it was my Itunes. I like iTunes for my internet radio music but when it comes to simple tasks or just play my music in a random order, all it knows to do is very weak and the Random is the same every time you use it...or say i i have one more songs from one artist then others, itunes doen't know how to make sure it doesn't play the same artist song after it just played a different song from same artist...lol....and don't get me started on the MULTI copies of each song...LOL.....I hope you work it out...I'll do what i can to help with advise...at the moment I'm actually putting a new amp from the SRT Grand Cherokee/300 that is 9 speakers and my sub and ...1000 watts and center channel for surround....and you know what, i think i just remembered that this as the auto volume i think in the amp....LOL....If anybody is looking for the 368 watt wrangler amp, I have one for sale that was removed new and perfect condition...and a streeing wheel, new, that is the new style with controls. I have 2 and putting one on my 08 in place of the originial one....08 S wheel also, Khaki....this 08 Sahara i have only has 4000 miles on it.....LOL....let me know if you fix it or new some info...thanks
09-28-2012 01:25 PM
Master Pain 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircody View Post
You said this is during CD play and Ipod? Are the CDs Burned ones or Original? Reason I ask is, if you download your music to burn and to put on the Ipod, check your Bites Rate settings....the Best is 96kbs and 128kbs, anything higher is overkill and distorts speakers....Alot of people use Variable kbs but unless it is converted from a PERFECT audio the sound goes up and down and then a sudden blast of highs...LOL...Another check you can do is, do you have hardtop or soft? The hardtop wiring connecter may be lose, the unit and amp adjust for top being on and/or off.....3rd, you amp may be trying to over process the chanels for any reason from movement to loose hardness.....Good Luck
I have the hard top. If the front tops arent lined up right will it cause it to do that? Who knows, Ive had it for 2 days and cant remember what happened when but I do know that it is annoying.

It was a burnt cd from itunes which would be the 128kbs. When I was listening to the ipod it was streaming bluetooth. I just started actually hooking it into the usb today but havent had a chance to give it a listen. I will do that on the way home from work today to see how it is. Who knows, it could have been the bluetooth. Will let you all know what I find out.
09-28-2012 01:16 PM
sircody You said this is during CD play and Ipod? Are the CDs Burned ones or Original? Reason I ask is, if you download your music to burn and to put on the Ipod, check your Bites Rate settings....the Best is 96kbs and 128kbs, anything higher is overkill and distorts speakers....Alot of people use Variable kbs but unless it is converted from a PERFECT audio the sound goes up and down and then a sudden blast of highs...LOL...Another check you can do is, do you have hardtop or soft? The hardtop wiring connecter may be lose, the unit and amp adjust for top being on and/or off.....3rd, you amp may be trying to over process the chanels for any reason from movement to loose hardness.....Good Luck
09-28-2012 12:39 PM
Thomas_Abresch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pain 80

I know, I do now, but its during the songs that the change occurs, not song to song. Its more of a clarity issue than a volume, it sounds like it get louder when you start driving because the treble comes back and makes it clearer and a bit louder.
That's really strange. I thought my music sounded a little funny the other day and then went away. Ill look into it!
09-28-2012 10:35 AM
sircody When you are moving in the Vehicle air and other variables act as kind of a Insulation around it in turn changes the sound and volume by keeping more of the sound inside .....Air is one the Best forms insulation, like if you could make your home walls 2 feet thick and lock in air.....
09-28-2012 10:24 AM
Master Pain 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
I've noticed the same thing on my 730N as well. No settings or controls in it either for speed volume. I'll be interested to hear what they.
sweet, so Im not crazy. Yeah, the fact there is no option was driving me nuts going through the settings.

So, JWilson2598, I heard I just missed you when I went to pick up my Commando. How you liking your new Jeep? I'm in love with mine.
09-28-2012 10:06 AM
jwilson2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pain 80 View Post
It happens with the CD and ipod. I dont listen to FM or AM and satellite I only listen to O&A so you wouldnt be able to tell a difference. It is a clear difference but I see no option in anything on the stereo. Im going to the dealer tonight, I will probably just ask them there. Hopefully they will know. Thanks everyone for the input.
I've noticed the same thing on my 730N as well. No settings or controls in it either for speed volume. I'll be interested to hear what they.
09-28-2012 09:57 AM
Master Pain 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Abresch View Post
Are your songs the same volume? There is an option in iTunes, and other apps that you can set the song volume to be level for everything. I'd look into that

I know, I do now, but its during the songs that the change occurs, not song to song. Its more of a clarity issue than a volume, it sounds like it get louder when you start driving because the treble comes back and makes it clearer and a bit louder.
09-28-2012 09:54 AM
Thomas_Abresch Are your songs the same volume? There is an option in iTunes, and other apps that you can set the song volume to be level for everything. I'd look into that
09-28-2012 09:54 AM
Master Pain 80 Yeah, I have that too because all the songs have different volumes. What I am talking about is during each song going from a stop to moving the clarity goes up when you start driving. Its as if the treble goes away when you are at a stop and it is more bass than anything.
09-28-2012 09:51 AM
mzbrandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pain 80

It happens with the CD and ipod. I dont listen to FM or AM and satellite I only listen to O&A so you wouldnt be able to tell a difference. It is a clear difference but I see no option in anything on the stereo. Im going to the dealer tonight, I will probably just ask them there. Hopefully they will know. Thanks everyone for the input.
When I use my I Pod I notice a change in volume between songs. I am thinking it is the I Pod not the radio.
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC