|01-18-2013 08:02 AM|
|Reaper2332||I talked to the ranger district for Peters mill, they said they close the 22 of jan|
|01-18-2013 07:47 AM|
|01-18-2013 07:45 AM|
|BigRigoTJ||Peters Mill is closed till March and Flagpole got hit with snow.|
|01-17-2013 08:33 PM|
|01-15-2013 05:17 PM|
|Reaper2332||Hey guys, we are looking at going to flagpole on Saturday the 19th of Jan if the weather is good out there. If it's not we will be going to Peters mill again. Hop on the flagpole run (19 Jan) forum it your interested!|
|01-09-2013 04:06 PM|
|Reaper2332||Yeah we were going to go put there new years Eve but I guess the snow was so bad that it took 4 guys with winches 16 hours to do the whole thing. But we will definitely doing it this spring sometime!|
|01-09-2013 09:29 AM|
|NC_TJ||^ this is true ^, Peters Mill is a easy trail thats great to get out and explore. There are some cool spots to walk to with a look out. GO to Flag pole. Some more challenge but still really easy going.|
|01-09-2013 08:03 AM|
|BigRigoTJ||Since you all are liking Peters Mill you might wanna try and step up to a more fun trail that stock Jeeps can do. Flag Pole in Harrisonburg Va has way more to offer and worth the extra 30 min drive south on 81. This will test a stock Jeep with fun. Peters Mill is like a Sunday drive compared to Flag Pole. More mud, more inclines, and more obsticles. With proper spotters you will be fine. And there is only one area that a spotter is needed. The Staircase.|
|01-09-2013 01:01 AM|
|73perez||Sounds good Reaper let us know we sure would like to go again. Thanks!|
|01-08-2013 07:03 AM|
That is a major disappointment. I'm incredulous to the fact while the Peters Mill/Tasker Gap OHV complex advertises close to 40 miles of trails only about a quarter of them are open to 4WD vehicles. And that the two trails that are open are very mild.
My off roading experience is limited to the West Coast and overseas so I hope I don't come off as a "Johnny come lately" to the area but has anyone tried advocating for better 4WD access to what is supposed to be an OHV complex?
|01-07-2013 09:43 PM|
|01-07-2013 02:26 PM|
I called the GWF Lee Ranger District today to ask about which Peters Mill / Taskers Gaps OHV trails are allowed for 4WD use. According to the lady I spoke with the only two trails where you can drive a 4WD vehicle are #553 (Taskers Gap) and #433 (Peters Mill Run). She said that the other trails are reserved for ATVs and that 4WDs weren't allowed. I'm looking at the official FS OHV trail system map and I don't see anything that says 4WD's aren't allowed on other trails.
Is this information correct? If so, I'm a bit surprised.
BTW, OHV trails close 1/22/13 in case anyone is making plans to visit the area.
|01-06-2013 09:48 PM|
|01-06-2013 09:09 PM|
Cool. The ice made on Peters Mill made it sort of slippery in parts. On the return run I took the ice into account and did a better job of counter-steering. My impression is that Peters Mill is sort of a trade route. The bear hunters moved out in their pick up trucks like it was a rural back road.
I'm planning on going back this coming Saturday and tackling 493. I may camp out Saturday night.
|01-06-2013 08:56 PM|
|73perez||@ Reaper2332, my son and i found our way. It was very icy and slick so we didn't chance it to much. But we did end up taking peter mill run and ended up driving by many Hunters up on the hill. Well the most important part was that we had fun and the Jeep came out of there a totally different color.|
|01-06-2013 06:31 PM|
· Stock 2013 Wrangler Sport w/3.73 gearing, anti-spin rear differential, and automatic transmission.
· My tires were 32 PSI. I was too lazy to drop tire pressure. Next time I will.
· First time user of these trails and just getting back into off-roading after a 20+ year break.
· Started at Edinburg Gap and did Peters Mill up and back.
· Trails were icy on the shady parts and clear on the sunny parts.
· Sun was out and temp was above freezing when I started about noon. Trails would have been a lot worse had the ice not been thawing for a few hours.
· Vehicle traffic was mostly bear hunters transporting their dogs on Peters Mill.
· Taskers Gap was very quiet.
· My OEM tires were acceptable on the icy parts as long as I kept the speed down and counter steered.
· Although I bottomed out few times while hoofing it on the Peters Mill trail I question my presupposition when I bought the Jeep that I needed to add a lift kit. I’m pretty happy with the performance of the Wrangler in stock mode.
· Went down to Taskers Gap and drove #553 to where it turned into #499.
· Drove part of #499 but decided it was a bit much given that I was by myself, it was past 3 p.m. and the trail was getting progressively rockier. Not easy turning around.
· Many of the trails are intended for ATV use as opposed to 4WD vehicle use due to the narrowness of the trail.
· Bushes and branches encroach on some of lesser travelled trails and will scratch your paint.
· Not a lot of places to turn around when retreating.
· Not a lot of places to pull over when faced with an oncoming vehicle.
· I had a pleasant afternoon and will be back to explore some more.
· GPX track and waypoint file available upon request.
|01-06-2013 09:48 AM|
|Reaper2332||So how was the trail? Did you guys enjoy it? Was there still snow and ice up there?|
|01-05-2013 07:47 AM|
|Reaper2332||They group I normally go out with isn't going this weekend. I think on Jan 12 a few guys are heading up to rausch creek offroad park|
|01-04-2013 11:32 PM|
My son and I will be out @ Peter Mill Run 01/05/13 trying out his used but new to him 93 Black Jeep. Neither one of us has ever been out there, but want to go see what all the fuss is about! Hope to see you out there Kawa001.
Are there going to be any other groups going out tomorrow?
|01-04-2013 09:12 PM|
|kawa001||I'll be at Peter's Mill on Sat, 1/5/13 midmorning driving some of the easier trails. If you happen to see a black Sport Wrangler with VA temp plates that would be me. Feel free to say hi.|
|12-21-2012 08:06 PM|
|Reaper2332||One more reminder if anyone wants to do a run to Peter's Mill tomorrow Saturday 22 December we are meeting at 10:30 am at the Golden Corral of 234 Business or known as Dudley Rd. If you don't know where its at or how to get there send me a PM!|
|12-18-2012 08:58 PM|
|Reaper2332||Yeah me and a buddy of mine are going Saturday (Probably leave here Bristow around 10-11 am) Im not sure about zr. despain I hope he can still make it out. But pm me your number if your interested and I will send you a text where we can meet up before we go!|
|12-18-2012 08:40 PM|
|Gbobva||You guys going on Saturday? If so I might be able to join up if you dont mind. From the Fairfax area.|
|12-18-2012 08:04 PM|
Also if anyone is interested on coming out this weekend your invited just let me know if you want to meet up!
Tagging onto Invert Chaos comment: Definitely easier to picture than how I explained it!
|12-18-2012 07:55 PM|
|12-18-2012 07:52 PM|
|zr.despain14||No i am in Hampton roads, and have wanted to get out west for some offroading. Thanks for the info.|
|12-18-2012 07:39 PM|
|12-18-2012 07:01 PM|
|zr.despain14||How bumpy is this trail? My wife is pregnant, and I was thinking from what I've read its mostly a diary road between the obstacles. Which she could get out and spot me for. Is that about right?|
|12-18-2012 06:07 PM|
|zr.despain14||I would like to tag along on sat if that's OK.|
|12-17-2012 10:17 PM|
Hey lbredefe, I am actually heading out there on Saturday with a buddy that has a lifted trail blazer. I cant really guarantee anything about early Jan. I do know that they close down GWNF for ORV from late Jan to Mar so I will definitely get a run in sometime in Jan.
You can buy your permit at a number of places, If you take 81 south from 66 you get off on the edinburgh exit and turn left about 1-2 miles down the road there is an exxon gas station on the right (Perfect place to fill up before you go hit the trail.) Check out this site it has a list of all the places to get a permit.
George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Passes & Permits
|This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|