Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum > How to ford a puddle?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: How to ford a puddle? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-28-2013 04:44 AM
LameStory You could always get one of these:
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...202554676.html
06-27-2013 12:36 AM
Lusus_Naturae
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
As for the video it's not stupidity. The old 4.0's were way tougher and the air intake was apparently placed more appropriately because I used to bounce mine off rev limiter over and over and over and over and over while shipping it across swamps in Minnesota (private property) and muddy water would shoot up 30' into the trees and coat them in the jeep artwork

No jeep should hydro lock in that little of water. What a crock to think it's plain stupid to drive your jeep like a jeep! Geesh!
I used to take the TJ across a submerged bridge - it was designed this way so a freshwater creek ran over the bridge instead of under it.

The water was usually 6-8 inches deep, and the kids would hang out buy the creek to get splashed by vehicles driving over the bridge. It was a one way bridge too, and one vehicle crossed at a time, so the kids got pretty wet some days. They always looked forward to the Jeep, I would get going just fast enough to give them a good wave of water and spray, once it was about the 8 inch depth and I got a wave that went over the top of the Jeep and landed in the back seat. Never had issues with the airbox.

Now I feel like a neutered car. I've avoided the bridge all year because I've seen those videos of people hydrolocking the new JK. It's little stuff like this that make me miss the TJ.

My girl took this photo in 2008 when we were first dating. It's blurry, I think she was surprised at the splash when I told her to take my photo from the other side of the bridge that day as I crossed. It's the only photo I have though.
06-25-2013 09:19 PM
mycaptainchris I'm in Melbourne Beach (drive an Anvil 10a) I'll keep a look out for you around brevard.
06-25-2013 01:00 PM
Tiki Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
Thanks,
I love it for the fact that it did not require cutting the hood. I love it for the fact that it was less than $300 shipped. I love it for the asthetics. I love it for the extra 2mpg I'm getting with the scoop on!

HOWEVER... I have not yet tested its capabilities. The design is a little concerning as there multiple potential points of water incursion that are actually BELOW the stock intake location. I did my best to seal these per the instructions. I also spent several hours adjusting fitment so that there are no pressure points on any of the tubing. I will be going back out this weekend and it has been raining pretty steady since last time, so I should get to really test it out...

fingers crossed.
Where did you get it for under $300 shipped if you don't mind me asking? I love this snorkel and I'm in the market now for one.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
05-23-2013 08:57 PM
ilikeguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
The hoses that route the air from the bottom of the airbox to the snorkel travel down between the wheel well and the exhaust heat shield. It is a tight fit and it is comprised of an aluminum section and two rubber hose sections, all of which are significantly lower than the stock intake location and all of which are sealed with rtv sealant and a 3" hose clamp. ...Plenty of room for installation error.
ahh.. gotcha.. makes sense..
05-23-2013 08:48 PM
fredfunk The hoses that route the air from the bottom of the airbox to the snorkel travel down between the wheel well and the exhaust heat shield. It is a tight fit and it is comprised of an aluminum section and two rubber hose sections, all of which are significantly lower than the stock intake location and all of which are sealed with rtv sealant and a 3" hose clamp. ...Plenty of room for installation error.
05-23-2013 08:20 PM
ilikeguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
Thanks,
I love it for the fact that it did not require cutting the hood. I love it for the fact that it was less than $300 shipped. I love it for the asthetics. I love it for the extra 2mpg I'm getting with the scoop on!

HOWEVER... I have not yet tested its capabilities. The design is a little concerning as there multiple potential points of water incursion that are actually BELOW the stock intake location. I did my best to seal these per the instructions. I also spent several hours adjusting fitment so that there are no pressure points on any of the tubing. I will be going back out this weekend and it has been raining pretty steady since last time, so I should get to really test it out...

fingers crossed.
im curious how you could potentially get water in from below where the stock airbox is? Did you seal the holes in the stock airbox? I hit mine with a ton of silicone.
05-23-2013 08:08 PM
fredfunk Thanks,
I love it for the fact that it did not require cutting the hood. I love it for the fact that it was less than $300 shipped. I love it for the asthetics. I love it for the extra 2mpg I'm getting with the scoop on!

HOWEVER... I have not yet tested its capabilities. The design is a little concerning as there multiple potential points of water incursion that are actually BELOW the stock intake location. I did my best to seal these per the instructions. I also spent several hours adjusting fitment so that there are no pressure points on any of the tubing. I will be going back out this weekend and it has been raining pretty steady since last time, so I should get to really test it out...

fingers crossed.
05-21-2013 09:02 PM
ilikeguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
Got my new snorkel installed!


DSC_0046 by freddyfunkalicious, on Flickr
nice!! how do you like it so far? When looking for snorkels, I went with the AEV because I liked how it was almost invisible from the driver's seat.
05-21-2013 08:30 PM
brighton That looks like a very well constructed snorkel. Is it a Rugged Ridge?
05-21-2013 07:17 PM
SilverSport Looks good.
05-21-2013 06:56 PM
fredfunk
DSC_0048 by freddyfunkalicious, on Flickr
05-21-2013 06:55 PM
fredfunk Got my new snorkel installed!


DSC_0046 by freddyfunkalicious, on Flickr
05-15-2013 02:52 PM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton View Post

Cool, and I agree with you that even a stock Jeep is still an incredible off-road machine.

Now I just wish I didn't have to drive so far to find some terrain other than flatland here in Florida. Driving in water and mud is fun, but I want more hills and rocks.
Colorado is calling you... Or Arizona, New Mexico, California, etc
05-15-2013 02:37 PM
fredfunk Great posts from those with experience...
Crossing water cautiously and with preparation just means you'll wheel that much further!
Thanks guys,
Fred
05-15-2013 12:12 PM
brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy JK View Post
Good info! Glad I read this, always thought the snorkel was enough. I'm sure there's plenty of jeep owners that believe they can go deep with just the snorkel.
I think a snorkel does tend to give you a false sense of security. If you want to go submarining, it's probably necessary. I like to go just deep enough to where it's not required, but it's still a butt-pucker moment when water is at the hood level, and water is seeping in along the door seals.

Even with breather hoses extended, I still change diff fluid regularly, and I'm religious about thoroughly cleaning the underside after each ride, especially around the brakes.

During a camping/Jeep ride outing last year, I had pine needles stuck along the exhaust crossover from going through water/mud holes. We took a ride in the afternoon, then went back to the campground. Later on we decided to go for a night ride. As we were getting back to the trails, the Jeep behind me noticed flames coming from under my Jeep where the pine needles had ignited from the hot exhaust. I quickly put the fire out with my extinguisher without any damage, but now I always check for pine needles along the exhaust crossover after each ride if I'm in a pine forest.
05-15-2013 11:58 AM
brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
Sounds like you wheel pretty hard and push it much harder than I assumed! Cool. As for expectations maybe mine are pretty high. I've just had really tough Jeeps and they never cease to amaze me.

Not offended at all and not meaning to offend you. Just trying to be funny, informative and communicate some points and learn more- you know like what a forum is for

JKUR is my daily driver too
Cool, and I agree with you that even a stock Jeep is still an incredible off-road machine.

Now I just wish I didn't have to drive so far to find some terrain other than flatland here in Florida. Driving in water and mud is fun, but I want more hills and rocks.
05-15-2013 11:52 AM
groovebus After watching all the water videos, good and bad results, I'm glad I go Jeepin' in the desert. I will drive over a mountain to avoid a big flooded area and/or mud.
05-15-2013 11:01 AM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton View Post
I've been up to my headlights and water coming over the hood on occasion (without a snorkel) and I'm on 35" tires and about 3.5" of lift, but I'll admit I'm taking it easy when I'm in water that deep. In our group of 20 or so Jeeps (YJs, TJs and JKs) only 2 have snorkels although some that aren't lifted as high take bypasses around holes i can get through pretty easily.

Sounds like you wheel with a different set of expectations for your Jeep. Mine is also my DD so maybe that's a difference, although that's not true for many in our group. Anyway, didn't mean to offend you if that's how you want to roll. Not for me, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is just getting into playing in the water in their new stock JK.
Sounds like you wheel pretty hard and push it much harder than I assumed! Cool. As for expectations maybe mine are pretty high. I've just had really tough Jeeps and they never cease to amaze me.

Not offended at all and not meaning to offend you. Just trying to be funny, informative and communicate some points and learn more- you know like what a forum is for

JKUR is my daily driver too
05-15-2013 10:50 AM
Happy JK Good info! Glad I read this, always thought the snorkel was enough. I'm sure there's plenty of jeep owners that believe they can go deep with just the snorkel.
05-15-2013 10:15 AM
brighton I've been up to my headlights and water coming over the hood on occasion (without a snorkel) and I'm on 35" tires and about 3.5" of lift, but I'll admit I'm taking it easy when I'm in water that deep. In our group of 20 or so Jeeps (YJs, TJs and JKs) only 2 have snorkels although some that aren't lifted as high take bypasses around holes i can get through pretty easily.

Sounds like you wheel with a different set of expectations for your Jeep. Mine is also my DD so maybe that's a difference, although that's not true for many in our group. Anyway, didn't mean to offend you if that's how you want to roll. Not for me, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is just getting into playing in the water in their new stock JK.
05-15-2013 09:58 AM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton View Post

Doesn't change my opinion that it is stupid to floor it going into water, especially what looks to be a stock Jeep and without a snorkel. I've been on a ride where a guy hydrolocked his Jeep going too fast in water not much deeper than on the video and ended up replacing the engine. I value my engine more than that, but to each his own. If that's your idea of driving a Jeep like a Jeep, I'm glad your not in my group.
You shouldn't need a snorkel to go in 1' of water. I've been up to my headlights plenty in an SJ, XJ, ZJ, LJ but not my JK yet.

LOL. I too am glad I'm not in your group who believes (a snorkel is necessary to drive in water) and a Jeep should be driven like they are hydrophobic. The rev limiter story was nearly 20 years ago and I owned that XJ till it had 315,000 miles and sold it only a few years ago. Just because you beat a Jeep doesn't mean you don't love and maintain it

At this rate I could tell you stories of 20 years of Jeeping that potentially have you rocking back and forth in your closet

Here's just the most recent:

Dealer changed my oil- left oil cap off, and knocked the mopar CAI off partially. Afterwards I drove 1000 miles from Denver to Flagstaff. There ways a snowstorm so bad that traffic was completely stopped on both passes (Loveland/Eisenhower and Vail). The Jeep was sucking in snow, water, mag chloride, other road debris, sand from the windy gusts peppering the vehicle as I passed through four corners into Flagstaff. Oh, and I was towing 2000 pounds of popup camper and gear! Lol. I posted a completely detailed account of this experience on the forum (entitled dealer left my oil cap off- or something like that- not sure how to post a link in a thread). Anyway, the JKUR is unscathed and by the way it has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I still get 18-20 on the highway lifted, 35's, bumper winch etc. Towing home from that trip I got 18 (6000' elevation to 11,000' back to 5000'). Engine runs strong.

Then there was the time in the ZJ where the air filter calapsed during a very very deep water crossing and water got into the engine. Drove her a few miles home and had that one till 100,000 with no issues. Oops that was two stories.

Point I'm trying to make is a Jeep is much tougher than you think. IMHO you are basing worst case scenarios and unlucky mishaps to your driving style in conditions that a Jeep can tackle the vast majority of the time. Although, most of my experiences are with Jeeps other than JK's so you may very well know something I do not.
05-14-2013 08:58 PM
Matador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
i'm not gonna lie.. i like the water so a snorkel was an easy choice.. although it does give a bit of a false sense of security and may have contributed to a few bad choices.. (see profile pic)
Haha that's an understatement.
05-14-2013 08:07 PM
ilikeguns i'm not gonna lie.. i like the water so a snorkel was an easy choice.. although it does give a bit of a false sense of security and may have contributed to a few bad choices.. (see profile pic)
05-14-2013 08:01 PM
brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by COStrider View Post
As for the video it's not stupidity. The old 4.0's were way tougher and the air intake was apparently placed more appropriately because I used to bounce mine off rev limiter over and over and over and over and over while shipping it across swamps in Minnesota (private property) and muddy water would shoot up 30' into the trees and coat them in the jeep artwork

No jeep should hydro lock in that little of water. What a crock to think it's plain stupid to drive your jeep like a jeep! Geesh!
Doesn't change my opinion that it is stupid to floor it going into water, especially what looks to be a stock Jeep and without a snorkel. I've been on a ride where a guy hydrolocked his Jeep going too fast in water not much deeper than on the video and ended up replacing the engine. I value my engine more than that, but to each his own. If that's your idea of driving a Jeep like a Jeep, I'm glad your not in my group.
05-14-2013 07:38 PM
fredfunk Rooster, thanks again... should i look into getting that bible? sounds pretty useful. I got a printed user manual with the jeep but I just ordered the digital FSM from Chrysler. I can't wait till it gets here... I feel like I don't really own the vehicle till I've got the manual!
05-14-2013 03:35 PM
Rooster76 BATTERY
Fresh water on the battery shouldn't be a big issue. Maybe if it was completely submerged it could cause a problem. Water will speed up the terminals corroding. I wash off the terminals on my riding lawn mower all the time. I have heard that salt water (in regards to winches at least) can create problems because it is much more conductive.

ALTERNATOR/FAN
I was reading a thread on JKO with a guy talking how he goes submarine with his snorkel all the time. He said he had to replace a couple alternators and fans. I think without, driving it like you stole it, both shouldn't be an issue. If I remember right being clogged with mud might have been the issue vs water.

EXHAUST IN WATER
I read in "The 4 Wheelers Bible" that water in the exhaust isn't too much to worry about if you can start up and ride away. The water would need to be very high to get in the pistons were it would cause issues.

Reading threads another consideration came up if your jeep gets stuck submerged. Being that the exhaust is hot if water got in it could evaporate and get into the engine that way. I'm on the fence about that because I would think the water would cool the exhaust mostly by the time much water would get in. And would the amount of condensation be enough to mess with compression. In this scenario I would replace all the oils (differentials, transmission, engine) because of water possibly slowly seeping in.

USER MANUAL
You mentioned getting the user manual. Hopefully if your Jeep is new you called the number to get it free ( http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/fre...al-108224.html ). The hard copy fits in the glovebox perfectly. Another good idea if you have a smart phone is to save the PDF version also. With an iPhone I use iBooks to store it offline. It can make searching for answers faster.

AFTER A HYDROLOCK
I've quickly had water over the hood, and a bit of water in the air box based off the mud trail. It got me worried so I looked into what to do if it had taken in enough to hydrolock. Hopefully if I'm missing something that will get cleared up here.
1-Turn off the engine and pull your jeep onto dry land. Trying to start the engine now can break a piston with the waters resistance.
2-Take out the spark plugs and turn over (start) the engine. Water should come out. Doing this in spurts will hopefully minimize fuel dumping out.
3-Spray in some WD-40 (WD=water displacement) into the cylinders.
4-Open the air box and let the filter dry out. This could be the first step if your not sure you have issue with a wet air filter warning sign. The air box has drain holes. Right after the box the hose has an area that looks like it is supposed to catch water maybe. I wonder if there is a way to drain that part?
5-Smack yourself in the head for not getting a snorkel.
6-Reassemble and hopefully drive away.
05-14-2013 02:24 PM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
RULES OF WATER CROSSING:
THINGS TO AVOID:
NO WATER IN CLUTCH (NEVER engage clutch while submerged)
NO WATER IN EXHAUST (NEVER kill engine while submerged)
NO WATER IN BATTERY (NEVER go in over the hood!)
NO WATER IN DIFF/TRANNY (extend breather hoses if necessary)
NO WATER IN INTAKE (seal airbox, install snorkel if necessary)

THINGS TO DO:
Bring a second Jeep!
Hook up recovery straps BEFORE you get stuck
Check water depth FIRST
Engage 4-LOW
Lock diff (if available)
GO SLOW AND STEADY
ditto on hooking up the recovery strap before you enter the water & mud. Be sure to secure it so it won't get loose and wrap around the drivetrain components. Some people tie a slip knot around the roll bar or just shut the tailgate (between the back window and tailgate) on it for easy access!
05-14-2013 02:17 PM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG3 View Post
I would sure check your diff fluids since you went so deep, or you could end up with major problems in the not to distant future... and take the advise above - get the up higher (extended) before you do this again......
Definitely^^
05-14-2013 02:17 PM
COStrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton View Post
^^Definitely extend the breather hoses. I used Rooser76's thread above to help me (thanks by the way!). I was in water today that was up almost to my headlights after all the rain last weekend.

I've extended breather hoses for both front and rear axles. Not sure yet if I'll do the transfer case. I have no real interest in getting a snorkel.

Watching the second video, that's just stupidity. Slow and steady. Invest in a good snatch strap and don't go alone. If you make it up to Jacksonville, we have a group that goes out at least once a month and it's almost always wet and muddy.
As for the video it's not stupidity. The old 4.0's were way tougher and the air intake was apparently placed more appropriately because I used to bounce mine off rev limiter over and over and over and over and over while shipping it across swamps in Minnesota (private property) and muddy water would shoot up 30' into the trees and coat them in the jeep artwork

No jeep should hydro lock in that little of water. What a crock to think it's plain stupid to drive your jeep like a jeep! Geesh!
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC