|07-25-2013 12:37 PM|
|bruceandjo95yj||Dont let your jeep set that long.....mine hates it....acts a fool if i leave it more than a day lol|
|07-25-2013 11:08 AM|
|07-25-2013 11:03 AM|
|07-25-2013 11:01 AM|
|07-25-2013 10:20 AM|
|Redrider94||Is your amp controlled by the key? Or is it wired to the battery direct? Had a friend that wired his amp to the battery and also wired the control wire to the battery as well. Would drain the battery over night, in unhooked the control wire and ran to the fuse box so it would only work with the key no more problems.|
|07-25-2013 10:15 AM|
|tigerblood||What alternator do u have? Thinking of upgrading mine too|
|07-25-2013 10:08 AM|
|07-24-2013 10:51 PM|
I am in the middle of working the same exact problem man. With my AUX equipment connected to the battery, my Jeep will last about 6 days before it won't start. With the AUX equipment disconnected, it'll last weeks. I went about it trying to isolate what ciruit is causing the parasitic draw. I've replaced 2 batterys so far ( both under warrenty ), thinking it was the battery, but I found it wasn't because I did this test:
If you take off the negative battery cable only, you can put an indicator light in between the negative terminal and negative cable. The indicator shouldn't come on, if it's dim or more-than-dim it means that some circuit is drawing power. You can also measure the exact voltage/amperage it's drawing with a digital multimeter, but a simple $10 test light will work too.
Get a digital multi-meter and do that test in current mode. One lead to positive terminal of batt, the other lead to positive cable. That will actually tell you how much current draw there is. You can then calculate (generally) the time it will take to drain your battery. From there you'll want to head to the fuse box and determine which circuit(s) is causing the draw. You'll know as the draw will be similar to that you found before. I'd also check the relays, first, as an easy step before unpluging and testing all the fused circuits. You can do that with the multi-meter as well.
I know a lot of guys won't tackle an electrical problem head-on like this, but if you're patient you will eventually figure it out. In the meantime, you can get a solar charger from Harbor Freight that plugs into the cigarette lighter, it will make up for voltage loss you currently have.
|07-24-2013 12:20 PM|
|OverkillYJ||I am guessing I could have damaged it using my winch and stuff. I am not familiar with internal shorts in the battery. I do have a gauge permanently hooked up to my battery so I do know that my voltage is correct. First thing I will do is what you said. I will get it charged then let it sit disconnected for a few days and see if it still starts.|
|07-24-2013 12:07 PM|
|goatman||Another easy way to see if the battery itself has an internal short (if the thing sits for days regularly) is to just disconnect the battery after verifying it is charged. if you come back a few days later and it starts up fine, you have a voltage draw when the ignition is off.|
|07-24-2013 10:03 AM|
First thing I would do is charge the battery then measure the voltage at the battery, should be 12.6 or so but it could be a little higher or lower. Then start the engine and measure the voltage again, should be 13+ volts and could be as high as 14.4 or so.
That will tell you if the alternator is working correctly. Then to check if there is a drain disconnect the ground lead and measure the voltage between the cable and the post, be sure to use a low setting on your VOM. If you have drain you should find it this way.
|07-24-2013 09:33 AM|
My battery is about 8 months old. Something recently started draining it when I park for a couple of days or more. Not sure if my battery is going dead or what. It almost seems like something is drawing a small amount of power all the time. I dont see anything though. Anyone know of the best way to figure out what it is/ Alternator is new as well. So is all of my wiring.