|08-06-2013 07:07 PM|
Turns out it was a "fried wire" or whatever. The mechanic just replaced it and now I have no issues.
Now I can't figure out why my subwoofer won't power up but that's something I'm gonna leave to Best Buy.
So fed up with electricity issues!!
|07-28-2013 08:08 PM|
|07-27-2013 08:22 PM|
That does not sound good at all. You may want to unhook the new radio, then put a auto resetting circuit breaker in so that you can diagnose the problem. Then you are probably going to have to trace the wire to find the issue. If you have a test light hook it to the radio power and ground so that you can tell when the breaker is on. Then shake the wire until it stays on to help isolate the area to strip the wiring harness. It is usually fairly easy to find. Just be patient and methodical.
Best of luck
|07-25-2013 01:20 AM|
|07-24-2013 09:33 PM|
If you have a power outlet that does not work, have you checked to see if they are on the same circuit? If so then that is where to start. Always start with known problems.
Use a DVOM, multi-meter whatever you want to call it to make sure that you are getting battery voltage to the radio. Battery voltage means just that. Check the voltage at the battery for a reference. Anything over a 0.2v loss is too much. Then check for power at the ground connector for the radio. I mean literally that. Put the red lead on the ground where it hooks to the radio and the black lead on a different ground. With the radio on if there is voltage then there is not a good ground. Do not be afraid to wiggle the wires some, to see if the result changes. This is far better than just checking the ground for continuity. Then unhook everything from the circuit one at a time. Trying to blow the fuse after unhooking each item. If you get down to nothing on the circuit and the fuse still blows, the only thing left to do is to trace the wiring harness to find the problem. Check all connectors, if they look like they have over heated, they are suspect. As a last resort the wiring harness may have to be stripped and the length of the wire checked. More time consuming than hard.
Best of luck
ASE Master Automotive Technician
|07-24-2013 08:56 PM|
|07-24-2013 05:36 PM|
Thank you for all your help guys, I will further troubleshoot when I get off vacation.
I forgot to mention the 12v plug next to the direct 12v has stopped working. Idk if this is part of the problem.
|07-23-2013 07:51 AM|
|Wattapunk||If you have a backup radio, I would switch out radios to rule out a defective radio before going further with the guesswork repair. You may want to double check both power sources from the factory wire loom.(constant 12v and ignition 12v) Make sure there is no break in the wires that's touching bare metal. Lastly, I would take all the speakers out and double check the speaker wires for any possible exposure to bare metal.|
|07-23-2013 12:59 AM|
|Spitse||Make sure the antenna cable is not grounding out were the metal joint is exposed. Mine is above the fuse panel behind the glove box. It should be tied up out of the way.|
|07-22-2013 11:00 PM|
I hope this helps you in some way. It looks like C202 is your radio and it has a yellow ground wire.
|07-22-2013 01:02 AM|
HELP - Radio blowing fuse problem
My radio I've had for years is finally showing me some problems. I installed it myself and have transferred it from my old car into my TJ.
I was offroading and on my way out of the trail my radio just turned off out of no where. I later found out I blew fuse #14 for the radio. I replaced the fuse and everything was fine until I hit a speed bump and the radio blew a fuse again.
What I've done so far:
So I've taken the radio out and replaced the wiring harness. I used to have LED lights crimped onto the purple? wires for the back right speaker, so I thought that having that big wad of wire may have undone the crimp and touched bare metal and short circuited. So I took out the LED lights and re-did the wiring harness back to normal and I'm still blowing fuse #14 for the radio when I go over bumps...
A) I've unhooked the subwoofer and tested to see if the sub was the issue, which it isn't. I still blow the fuse when hitting a bump.
B) The harness is crimped correctly and doesn't come into contact with bare metal.
C) The radio is an alpine cda-105, I have stock speakers in the dash, 3-way kickers in the rollcage, and a 10" active sub under my seat.
D) Do you think it could be the radio itself? I mean, the fuse in the back of the radio isn't blown because the radio wouldn't even turn on if it was blown.
E) I've researched and people say it could be a bad ground/hot wire malfunction. The only ground/hot wires I know of are on my battery, in the wiring harness for the radio, and the ground/hot wire for my sub.
Please help! All this troubleshooting is driving me insane