Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic > No lights on when it's raining? Really?

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: No lights on when it's raining? Really? Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
08-12-2013 07:26 PM
2five22
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfC View Post
The problem I have with people driving w/ their hazard lights flashing is this:

It's often damned near impossible to tell whether they're pulled over & stopped on the shoulder or still moving along in the travel lane until you're practically on top of them. IMO, driving with your hazard lights on creates MORE dangerous road conditions for everyone around you.

If you can't see, GET OFF THE ROAD!

08-12-2013 03:22 PM
MarkyMark718 Ok valid point guys.
08-12-2013 02:30 PM
derfC The problem I have with people driving w/ their hazard lights flashing is this:

It's often damned near impossible to tell whether they're pulled over & stopped on the shoulder or still moving along in the travel lane until you're practically on top of them. IMO, driving with your hazard lights on creates MORE dangerous road conditions for everyone around you.

If you can't see, GET OFF THE ROAD!
08-11-2013 10:56 AM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark718 View Post
Help you see the guy in front of you. It might sound lame, but I've been in a few bad thunderstorms and the hazards were the only thing I saw.

I'm not talking about a little rain, I'm talking about when the skies open up...
This time I'm not trolling...
If its raining so hard that your visibility is reduced to only being able to see flashing lights, you need to pull over and wait it out.
08-11-2013 07:41 AM
MarkyMark718
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
Help what?
Help you see the guy in front of you. It might sound lame, but I've been in a few bad thunderstorms and the hazards were the only thing I saw.

I'm not talking about a little rain, I'm talking about when the skies open up...
08-10-2013 08:42 AM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark718 View Post
If its real heavy rain the hazards help...
Help what?
08-10-2013 08:29 AM
MarkyMark718
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabeach View Post
A couple of weeks ago on the highway in heavy rain, I noticed that every driver I saw had their hazard lights on. I'd never seen that before.
If its real heavy rain the hazards help...
08-10-2013 08:22 AM
BlueRidgeYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
You're seriously cutting into my trolling here...
Appologies...
08-10-2013 06:29 AM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post
You're missing the entire purpose.

Many headlight laws are dependent on distance of visibility - nothing else. The purpose for this is quite simple: to increase the distance at which other motorists become visible. The reasoning behind this is solely reaction time, not daddy merely ordering you to do something. For instance, take into account the sand storms common in the southwest... Those folks see the car in front of them, then plow into it at 65mph. Blizzards, same thing. Why? Failure to establish proper reaction time.

Couldn't you crush a Nolan Ryan fastball @ 90' where you wouldn't be able to touch it @ 60'6"? I bet so, because of the increase in reaction time afforded by the increase in distance (or in this case, lights). Seeing them and being able to do something about 4k lbs of mass with kinetic energy are 2 VERY differing things.

Drive commercially for a few years, it'll make a lot of sense to ya to see motorists as far out as possible, particularly when you are <24k lbs.
You're seriously cutting into my trolling here...
08-09-2013 08:40 PM
Oz82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post
You're missing the entire purpose.

Many headlight laws are dependent on distance of visibility - nothing else. The purpose for this is quite simple: to increase the distance at which other motorists become visible. The reasoning behind this is solely reaction time, not daddy merely ordering you to do something. For instance, take into account the sand storms common in the southwest... Those folks see the car in front of them, then plow into it at 65mph. Blizzards, same thing. Why? Failure to establish proper reaction time.

Couldn't you crush a Nolan Ryan fastball @ 90' where you wouldn't be able to touch it @ 60'6"? I bet so, because of the increase in reaction time afforded by the increase in distance (or in this case, lights). Seeing them and being able to do something about 4k lbs of mass with kinetic energy are 2 VERY differing things.

Drive commercially for a few years, it'll make a lot of sense to ya to see motorists as far out as possible, particularly when you are <24k lbs.
Knocked it out of the park...
08-09-2013 03:04 PM
BlueRidgeYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
How did we, as a species, survive before we had someone to tell us when to turn our headlights on/off? If its raining so hard that you can't see an oncoming car unless they have their lights on, you should probably pull over.
You're missing the entire purpose.

Many headlight laws are dependent on distance of visibility - nothing else. The purpose for this is quite simple: to increase the distance at which other motorists become visible. The reasoning behind this is solely reaction time, not daddy merely ordering you to do something. For instance, take into account the sand storms common in the southwest... Those folks see the car in front of them, then plow into it at 65mph. Blizzards, same thing. Why? Failure to establish proper reaction time.

Couldn't you crush a Nolan Ryan fastball @ 90' where you wouldn't be able to touch it @ 60'6"? I bet so, because of the increase in reaction time afforded by the increase in distance (or in this case, lights). Seeing them and being able to do something about 4k lbs of mass with kinetic energy are 2 VERY differing things.

Drive commercially for a few years, it'll make a lot of sense to ya to see motorists as far out as possible, particularly when you are <24k lbs.
08-09-2013 12:39 PM
SRTie4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
Not at all. It's a continuation of the statement that I made earlier: if you can't see well enough to see cars, then you can't see well enough to see trees, buildings, bicyclists, dogs, or the road.
I live in Cape Coral, FL. It rains hard, practically every day.
Not everyone drives in the city during heavy downpours. I was on the interstate several years ago in the middle of a tropical storm. Only reason I didn't pull over is because I didn't want to become a target for all the other drivers doing 50mph around me. When you've got a guard rail keeping you in the 6 foot breakdown lane, and nothing protecting you from all the other cars, most people choose to keep driving.

In that situation, its nice to be able to see the vehicle lights in front of you and those behind you and to your sides.
08-09-2013 12:35 PM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
I take it you live somewhere extremely temperate and mild? I've been in a heavy enough rain that you can barely see beyond your front bumper, and can just barely make out other people's tail lights.
Not at all. It's a continuation of the statement that I made earlier: if you can't see well enough to see cars, then you can't see well enough to see trees, buildings, bicyclists, dogs, or the road.
I live in Cape Coral, FL. It rains hard, practically every day.
08-09-2013 12:19 PM
SRTie4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
Nah, I have superman vision. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I've seen cars as far as 5-6 blocks away in the rain. I can also see trees, people, and even the road, none of which have lights at all! The other day I was driving home from work, in the rain, and a car was in the lane beside me. At first I couldn't see it because I couldn't see the headlights. Then, I turned my head slightly, moved my eyes to the side, and bam!! there it was. True story.
I take it you live somewhere extremely temperate and mild? I've been in a heavy enough rain that you can barely see beyond your front bumper, and can just barely make out other people's tail lights.
08-09-2013 12:05 PM
whetstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz82 View Post
You must spend a lot of time on the sides of roads.
Nah, I have superman vision. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I've seen cars as far as 5-6 blocks away in the rain. I can also see trees, people, and even the road, none of which have lights at all! The other day I was driving home from work, in the rain, and a car was in the lane beside me. At first I couldn't see it because I couldn't see the headlights. Then, I turned my head slightly, moved my eyes to the side, and bam!! there it was. True story.
08-09-2013 05:44 AM
Oz82
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone View Post
How did we, as a species, survive before we had someone to tell us when to turn our headlights on/off? If its raining so hard that you can't see an oncoming car unless they have their lights on, you should probably pull over.
You must spend a lot of time on the sides of roads.
08-08-2013 08:05 PM
BlueRidgeYJ And today on the mountain, fog (clouds, actually) so thick you can't see 50'... and people driving with absolutely NO lights. Wtf folks? Very frustrating, because I know where I am going - exactly. I work in a neighborhood with 35 miles of roadway 365 days a year, I know it very well. These boneheads are either a) on vacation in the mountains, or b) city folk fleeing to their 2nd home for a long weekend - neither knows WHERE the road they want is. So they drive around aimlessly, swerving to and fro... with no lights in the middle of a rain cloud. Ugh.

They do the hazards thing up here, too... I like it because it is a flashing idiot warning system. You got em on, you must be a hazard to others, and as such an idiot for driving.
08-08-2013 12:16 PM
sonofabeach A couple of weeks ago on the highway in heavy rain, I noticed that every driver I saw had their hazard lights on. I'd never seen that before.
08-08-2013 11:08 AM
whetstone How did we, as a species, survive before we had someone to tell us when to turn our headlights on/off? If its raining so hard that you can't see an oncoming car unless they have their lights on, you should probably pull over.
08-08-2013 09:55 AM
sparky I think we should add this thread everytime somebody asks abount blacking out their lights.
08-06-2013 09:53 PM
Tweak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdpatt12 View Post
I'm a truck driver and have been for many years. It's law in most states that if you have your wipers on you must have your lights on. Cause I can't see you or your tiny car next to my 70ft long truck that throws up a roster tail taller than your car.
All drivers need to turn your lights on. Not your day time running lights. Cause your tail lights are still off. And your automatic lights do not turn them on when the it's foggy out.
Please when in doubt turn them on and "be seen"
I agree with everything you say but my tail lights turn on when my running lights are on.
08-06-2013 09:49 PM
Jdpatt12 I'm a truck driver and have been for many years. It's law in most states that if you have your wipers on you must have your lights on. Cause I can't see you or your tiny car next to my 70ft long truck that throws up a roster tail taller than your car.
All drivers need to turn your lights on. Not your day time running lights. Cause your tail lights are still off. And your automatic lights do not turn them on when the it's foggy out.
Please when in doubt turn them on and "be seen"
08-06-2013 09:47 PM
Peepers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
Maybe its just the Navy ORM talking, but am I the only one that at least has running lights on at ALL TIMES?

there is a reason most truckers do, because it is INTELLIGENT
I generally do when driving my truck.
08-06-2013 09:42 PM
Oz82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post
With you 50%. My running lights are for you to see me, my lights are for me to see with. If you cannot tell your headlights are on, they shouldn't be. City folk... watch the streetlamps. When they come on, your headlights should. I do hate all these fancy newfangled vehicles with perma-lights - lights mean 1) I need to see/be seen due to road conditions (rain, fog, night), 2) emergency/urgency, or 3) funeral procession. Not here I am, see me in all my glory.

During rain... yeah... wtf...
I would agree with you if that worked. But those little amber lights are barely better than nothing, and when you're trying to make a split second decision in traffic it sure helps to have a pair of nice bright headlights to assure you which way a car is facing instead of a random number of dinky amber glimmers.
08-06-2013 09:35 PM
Tweak Maybe its just the Navy ORM talking, but am I the only one that at least has running lights on at ALL TIMES?

there is a reason most truckers do, because it is INTELLIGENT

I'm probably OCD too, I was stuck in traffic and my right blinker burned out. GREAT! I ended up getting on the CB and asking a trucker to let me over.
08-06-2013 08:54 PM
Madden People around here are like that too, unless it's pitch black they wont have them on. And dont even get me started on people not using turn signals....

I always keep at least my running lights on during the day, sometimes my headlights. Can't hurt to have them on, and if they burn out so be it.
08-06-2013 08:34 PM
chucky cheese Here we have a law that says if your wipers are on , your headlights need to be on. But people do not even use turn signals now. So why bother turning on headlights in poor visibility. People are getting stupid. I have aways noticed as a kid the future depicted in movies and TV shows always showed people with shriveled bodies and massive heads. but in reality the opposite has occurred. Massive bodies and shriveled heads. We have met the enemy and they are us.
08-06-2013 07:27 PM
BlueRidgeYJ With you 50%. My running lights are for you to see me, my lights are for me to see with. If you cannot tell your headlights are on, they shouldn't be. City folk... watch the streetlamps. When they come on, your headlights should. I do hate all these fancy newfangled vehicles with perma-lights - lights mean 1) I need to see/be seen due to road conditions (rain, fog, night), 2) emergency/urgency, or 3) funeral procession. Not here I am, see me in all my glory.

During rain... yeah... wtf...
08-06-2013 05:53 PM
Oz82
No lights on when it's raining? Really?



Caught out in a downpour coming home from work today, and I'm noticing that around 1/4 of the people on the road have NO lights on. There may have been more, but I couldn't see them BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE LIGHTS ON!

So, who does this, and why? Are they just stupid, or is there a reason? Also, why do cars even HAVE the "amber lights only" option? When I see that, I'm thinking the driver is saying,"I know I need lights, but I don't want to use the real ones. I'll just use the weakest lights I have access to."

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC