Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum > RE 3.5 SF versus RE 4.5 SF

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: RE 3.5 SF versus RE 4.5 SF Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
12-31-2006 01:54 PM
04moneypit Thanks Scout
12-31-2006 12:14 PM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04moneypit View Post
Hey Scout,

I know you said you were getting rid of your lift because you felt that the control arms didn't seem like they were tough enough. Why? I bought a set of the rear upper adjustables and thought from a fabricators standpoint that they were very solid and properly thought out. The ones I got were solid stock on one side and threaded DOM (appears that way) on the other with zerk fittings to keep everything runnin smooth. I'm not trying to talk you out of your lift by any means, just wondering why you want to change them for quality. If you still want to get rid of it, when you do, I will be interested in some of your control arms if you want to sell it in pieces. Anyway, talk to you later.

Just from talking to some folks I feel like there are some better options out here. Also if I'm thinking about going to an LA system later it would be nice to have a kit that is almost all the way there, like the RE SF. Don't get me wrong, the RC has and is serving its purpose. I'm just never satisfied.

If I decide to go with another lift I'll consider parting it out or even selling it as a whole. If I part it out you have first dibs on the control arms.
12-31-2006 11:40 AM
04moneypit Hey Scout,

I know you said you were getting rid of your lift because you felt that the control arms didn't seem like they were tough enough. Why? I bought a set of the rear upper adjustables and thought from a fabricators standpoint that they were very solid and properly thought out. The ones I got were solid stock on one side and threaded DOM (appears that way) on the other with zerk fittings to keep everything runnin smooth. I'm not trying to talk you out of your lift by any means, just wondering why you want to change them for quality. If you still want to get rid of it, when you do, I will be interested in some of your control arms if you want to sell it in pieces. Anyway, talk to you later.
12-30-2006 10:09 AM
Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
cool. you seem to be pretty knowledgeable
Thanks, I'm still learning.... I've been fortunate to meet a lot of Jeep people, and I ask a lot of questions. I've also been hanging out with the local Jeep club. There are a lot of people there that have building Jeeps for a very long time and every one of them is a wealth of information. The cool part is, they don't care how built your Jeep is, they care that you are out there and you "get it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
i like your jeep!
Thanks, Like everyone else's, its still a work in progress, but I love it.
12-29-2006 06:25 PM
mrbigjeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited View Post
I borrowed a set of BFG M/T 35's for a weekend before I got my 33's. I had a little bit of rubbing with the 3.5 lift, but nothing too bad. The reason I didn't buy them from the guy was because they totally killed any semblance of power I had with my stock gears. I'm happy with the 33's.
cool. you seem to be pretty knowledgeable

i like your jeep!
12-29-2006 01:05 PM
Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
...but then again MR. CLIFFORDS wife's jeep has 3.5" of lift (i think) and runs 35's.
I borrowed a set of BFG M/T 35's for a weekend before I got my 33's. I had a little bit of rubbing with the 3.5 lift, but nothing too bad. The reason I didn't buy them from the guy was because they totally killed any semblance of power I had with my stock gears. I'm happy with the 33's.
12-29-2006 12:49 PM
Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdcpakmbs View Post
... but I'm looking at the 4.5" LA with the Tri-link setup. That, in part, is due to the fact it is billed as a bolt-in kit. Without the tri-link there is some welding/cutting to do.

A friend of mine just installed the 4.5" LA /Tri-link kit. I helped him with part of the install, it took a total of three days to get it done. Although it is advertised as a "Bolt-in", it really is not. You have to use a torch (or grinder) to remove the stock brackets and there are some 1" holes you have to drill in the frame. Plus, you have to re-route the exhaust. We did it with the jeep suspended on 24" jack stands. It would be much easier if you had access to a real lift. He really likes the final result and says it was worth the time and money. Just don't confuse the effort with a simple bolt-in like my 3.5 superflex.
12-29-2006 11:57 AM
gcdcpakmbs I've been looking at the RE lift kits as well. I came to this conclusion (I'm a novice and eager to get more input, but here's where I am right now). If I was going to stay with the SA, I was going to go with the 3.5". At 4.5", I get enough feedback that the LA will handle better both on and off road that I will go with the LA.

I won't pull the trigger until early March, but I'm looking at the 4.5" LA with the Tri-link setup. That, in part, is due to the fact it is billed as a bolt-in kit. Without the tri-link there is some welding/cutting to do. Paying for that kit and installing it myself is cheaper than the RE7000 installed, and about the same as a Rough Country 4" lift SA installed.
12-29-2006 09:00 AM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
Mua Hahahahahaha!

sorry
12-29-2006 12:17 AM
AzTJ Mua Hahahahahaha!

sorry
12-28-2006 11:47 PM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
Why not look into the ROck Krawler kits? I'm gonna be getting the 4.0X short arm for my TJ in the spring/summer... and they are priced about the same as the RE kits, and also upgradable to a LA system... just food for thought

Yeah yeah yeah...you're just trying to make it more difficult on me arn't you ?

That is another option I've looked at...but...AWWWW hell!!! Now I just don't know?!?!
12-28-2006 11:45 PM
Scout It's about $ 500 higher to get the LA upgrade. That's chump change to me. Remember - I'm RICH! Just kidding!!!

It is more to upgrade later but at least I'll be able to give the SA system a chance before going LA. I might spend $ 500 later and I might save $ 1500 now. Know what I mean?
12-28-2006 11:32 PM
mrbigjeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Scout View Post
Who really knows?!?! I'm not planning on going to a long arm but it would be nice to be in a position to go to a long arm in the future. That's why the RE kit is attractive. I have no idea what I really want to do that's why I plan on waiting a few months before I do anything. I want to do it right this time. :o
i see. smart plan. that way if you don't have all the cash at once you can get it and then upgrade when needed. i haven't looked at the prices though, will it be more expensive this way? if so then you might lose money in the long run instead of just going straight to long arm. i don't think there is a big price difference though which is good.
12-28-2006 08:17 PM
AzTJ Why not look into the ROck Krawler kits? I'm gonna be getting the 4.0X short arm for my TJ in the spring/summer... and they are priced about the same as the RE kits, and also upgradable to a LA system... just food for thought
12-28-2006 07:13 PM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
scout, are you going long arm? i think the 4.5 sits taller.

go 4.5" and run 35's. but then again MR. CLIFFORDS wife's jeep has 3.5" of lift (i think) and runs 35's.
Who really knows?!?! I'm not planning on going to a long arm but it would be nice to be in a position to go to a long arm in the future. That's why the RE kit is attractive. I have no idea what I really want to do that's why I plan on waiting a few months before I do anything. I want to do it right this time. :o
12-28-2006 06:39 PM
mrbigjeep scout, are you going long arm? i think the 4.5 sits taller.

go 4.5" and run 35's. but then again MR. CLIFFORDS wife's jeep has 3.5" of lift (i think) and runs 35's.
12-28-2006 06:36 PM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
There's nothing wrong with piecing together components that work well. If you want to get rid of your springs thats cool. Get the ones you want. If you want to keep short arms and low lift, then that's cool get the ones you want. No need to settle on the "kit" just because it's what a lot of people do. I'm going to replace my suspension because I feel I have maxed out my current LA kit and everytime I wheel it I see something that I'd like to change. Peronally I'm going to move to an RK kit because of the fact that should I want to stretch it later I can do so. Or if I want to run coilovers or air shocks later I can do so. You just have to pick the best components for what you want to do with your rig.

If you want an Aluminum 6" LA kit with RE 5.5 springs and Belly pan then let me know. Mine will be up for sale sometime this winter I hope.

I'm kicking around the idea of the kit simply because if you piece out the components of the kit versus buying the kit then the kit comes out cheaper. Although!!!! Going cheaper is the reason I'm sitting here typing what I'm typing.

I'm just kicking some ideas around and trying to get a feel for what I want to do now and what this thing might eventually become.

I just kept looking at the two RE kits and they just seemed to be about the same height from pictures I've seen.

I'll keep the LA in mind although a SA is where I'd like to stay (today). I think I might just go buy a Unimog and be done with it.
12-28-2006 06:22 PM
1BLKJP There's nothing wrong with piecing together components that work well. If you want to get rid of your springs thats cool. Get the ones you want. If you want to keep short arms and low lift, then that's cool get the ones you want. No need to settle on the "kit" just because it's what a lot of people do. I'm going to replace my suspension because I feel I have maxed out my current LA kit and everytime I wheel it I see something that I'd like to change. Peronally I'm going to move to an RK kit because of the fact that should I want to stretch it later I can do so. Or if I want to run coilovers or air shocks later I can do so. You just have to pick the best components for what you want to do with your rig.

If you want an Aluminum 6" LA kit with RE 5.5 springs and Belly pan then let me know. Mine will be up for sale sometime this winter I hope.
12-28-2006 05:26 PM
Scout I have 315/75/R16's. It depends on who you ask as to what size they are. I measured them with a measuring tape and they came to 34"s.

It's not so much tire size as it is improving the quality of the components in my lift. I've looked closely at the 4.5 RE SF as it seems to have good reviews and it appears to be a quality kit. I'm either thinking about that or doing a Frankenlift with either RE 4.5 or OME 4" springs, JKS arms and maybe change the Superlift adjustable front track bar to an RE 1610 with the 1611 bracket. I'll probably keep the OEM rear track bar if this Nth bracket works out (not installed yet). Or just do the 4.5" RE SF.
12-28-2006 05:07 PM
1BLKJP Scout do you have 33's or 35's on there now? With your flat fenders you could run 35's with just a 1" BL easily.
12-28-2006 10:48 AM
Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04moneypit View Post
Changing the subject, Did you do a write up when you installed the trail corners on your rig? I got mine today, and I don't want to waste time on an install write up if you did one for your install. Thanks.

No I didn't do a write up when I installed them. It was super easy though. As I've mentioned many times before I don't do a lot of the work on my Jeep myself but I did do the install on the trail corners. The only thing you have to worry about is working around the canister thingy (sorry I forgot what it's called) on the passenger side. It makes for pretty tight quarters when you're trying to get a wrench on it. Other than that it was really easy to do.


I'm leaning (today anyway) really hard toward the 4.5" SF. I already have everything that comes in the kit so the only thing I'll need to do is add the springs, control arms and maybe bumpstops. I'm already running the RC 4" X-Series with 3/4" spacers on 34" tires. I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the control arms. So I might as well replace the whole damn kit.

Anyway, I'll probably have a 4" Rough Country lift for sale soon if anyone is interested!

Also, if anyone has pics please share!
12-28-2006 12:54 AM
mr4x4 you can get 35 in. tires with the 4.5 in lift .

so what size tire are you going to put on.
I'm running a three inch terra flex lift with no tire rub and 33's.

a friend has a 4.5in. lift with 35's and no tire rub
12-28-2006 12:17 AM
Unlimited I have a RE 3.5" SF on my LJ, it ended up raising the vehicle a total of 4.75". A friend went with the RE 4.5" SF (with 4.5" springs) on his X, he netted 5". Granted, the spring rates were different because mine was for an LJ. Other than the price, and the fact that his came with adjustable upper arms, there didn't seem much in the way of difference between the two kits. (In thinking about it, his shocks may have been a little longer too.)

I'll see if I can find a picture of the two and post it tomorrow.
12-28-2006 12:13 AM
04moneypit Hey Scout, I have never seen the kits installed side by side, but most people probably wouldn't notice the difference, at least not without a tape measure. If I remember right, you're running the RC series II like mine, and I noticed that mine definitely sits higher than 4" and that's with a winch and tire carrier.... so if you want a similar stance to the one you have now, I would probably go with the 4.5 (yes, I'm giving you an excuse to get the taller kit). I know I'm satisfied with the height on mine, just need some front spacers to level it out. Get what you want, I know you have been kicking yourself from replacing parts with the ones you should have gotten in the first place, so go with your gut and get the kit that you're drooling over. Changing the subject, Did you do a write up when you installed the trail corners on your rig? I got mine today, and I don't want to waste time on an install write up if you did one for your install. Thanks.
12-28-2006 12:04 AM
AzTJ I've seen both kits on a couple of TJ's at DesertFab(when I dropped off my sister's ZJ for repair). Bother were running 33's. I'm sure running a larger tire with the taller kit might make the springs look smaller. It also depends on how much crap you've already loaded onto your rig. But from the ones that I've seen, the 4.5" is deffinatly taller, maybe even 2" taller.
12-27-2006 11:42 PM
Scout
RE 3.5 SF versus RE 4.5 SF

Ok, after searching around and looking at pics of both the RE SF kits I'm having a hard time deciding if the 3.5 kit looks like it is the same height as the 4.5. And YES - before you say it - I'm looking at 4.5's with 4.5" springs . BL or no BL they just appear to be approximatley the same height. Also I realize the spring rates are different on the 3.5 and the 4.5.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Or is it just the difference in tires?!?! If anyone here (and I know someone has) seen these kits side by side (on comparable Jeeps) can you please enlighten me? Is it just perception?

I know, I know...I'm a typical male and yes I'm starting to get a case of inchitis.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC