Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum > Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird...

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird... Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-16-2009 01:46 PM
mudslinger150 theres always next time
09-16-2009 01:43 PM
MCDavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger150 View Post
just guy a big pack of AA batterys at BJ's or Costco and wire them all together, that the cheapest way.
I really wish you'd have told me that BEFORE I bought my battery...I've got a ton of AA's at home!!
09-16-2009 01:39 PM
mudslinger150 just guy a big pack of AA batterys at BJ's or Costco and wire them all together, that the cheapest way.
09-16-2009 01:06 PM
MCDavis Ok, couldn't get a Die Hard Platinum in my town, and couldn't justify the price of the Carquest AGM with the same specs as O'Reilly, so I got the O'Reilly Super Start Extreme AGM. 3 year full replacement, 7 year total warranty, 785 CCA, dual terminal. Felt like it was the best deal of what I could find in my small town, and really didn't want the Jeep down for a week or longer.

Got the alternator checked and it's fine.

I know it wound up being just a battery, but it's the first time one's blown on me like that. I really appreciate the input from all, and the Geezer PM's.

Thanks!
09-16-2009 10:25 AM
Jerry Bransford
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.
AGM is a very good choice for a Jeep battery. It won't/can't leak if the Jeep tips or rolls over and its higher density usually means more power per square inch of battery. I won't spend the extra $$$ for an AGM for any of my three cars but I'd have nothing but an AGM battery in my Jeep.
09-16-2009 10:04 AM
mrcarcrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Most of the AGM's I've seen online already have dual terminals, a high (800 range) CC amps rating, and advertise as being more "shock resistant". They're in the $140 range, so I figure while I'm buying a battery, why not?

I'll be glad to listen to any input suggesting against the AGM. It would save some money.
I don't have any rational reason to say don't get one. other than cost vs benefit.

I ran em in My miata's...but the battery was located in the trunk
09-16-2009 09:57 AM
MCDavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.
Most of the AGM's I've seen online already have dual terminals, a high (800 range) CC amps rating, and advertise as being more "shock resistant". They're in the $140 range, so I figure while I'm buying a battery, why not?

I'll be glad to listen to any input suggesting against the AGM. It would save some money.
09-16-2009 09:22 AM
mrcarcrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Ok, battery's out and area is hosed down. Even cleaned the mud out of battery tray. Can't get a Die Hard Platinum in my small town, so I'm leaning towards a Carquest or O'Reilly AGM battery, if they're in stock.
Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.
09-16-2009 09:10 AM
MCDavis Ok, battery's out and area is hosed down. Even cleaned the mud out of battery tray. Can't get a Die Hard Platinum in my small town, so I'm leaning towards a Carquest or O'Reilly AGM battery, if they're in stock.
09-16-2009 08:37 AM
mrcarcrazy Yup, batteries explode from time to time. I know of a brand "voltphreaks" that have exploded in more than one Lotus.

trash it, and try again.

As you noticed, you can drive all day long on a dead (or no) battery. The ALternator keeps it running. But to start it you need a battery or someone to jump it, or if its a manual transmission you can use a small hill and push start it.
09-16-2009 07:45 AM
HamiltonLJ I had a battery explode on me once! It was Chevy though! The starter came loose and dropped down on the header and pow!
09-16-2009 07:39 AM
Mrmikeypoo you can always pour a coke ( or pepsi or whatever) over the affected areas. The drink will neutralize the battery acid left. It is also a great way to keep the battery clean. A clean battery is a happy battery!
09-15-2009 10:52 PM
sublimemaze spray some water on it from a hose pipe, hose down the batt. box area and you will be good to go. dont let acid sit on stuff, it will eat your wiring and/or electronics and if its sits for a long time, even your sheet metal body pannels itself. as for any insulation, its probobly synthetic or fiberglass based, so its not going to kill it. If its organic based like a wood fiber type stuff it might eat it up some. Like i said just hose it off good with water.
09-15-2009 10:50 PM
350chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
sublime, will a small amount of the acid hurt the hood insulation where the cap hit it?
i didnt even know wranglers came with insulation on the hood. it might do something to it but the insulation is a useless part anyway so i wouldnt worry about it.
09-15-2009 10:04 PM
MCDavis sublime, will a small amount of the acid hurt the hood insulation where the cap hit it?
09-15-2009 09:59 PM
sublimemaze sounds like you detonated a little bubble of hydrogen with some loose clamps or something. replace the battery, clean the clamps real well, and make sure they are real tight. if they wont tighten enough, you can lay them tall sideways on something hard and hammer the sides in a bit. I do it all the time at work when terminals are a little too loose. Youd be suprised the crazy symptoms loose battery terminals and wires can cause.
09-15-2009 09:38 PM
jpdocdave all my years i've never heard of a battery doing that. definately change that original battery, if the battery is fried, bad cell or something you can cause further damage to starter and/or alternator by continuing to jump it and try it. hopefully thats all it is. make sure the ground is good, and the clamps are good and tight on the new battery, clean the corrosion.
09-15-2009 09:31 PM
MCDavis
Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird...

Got in the jeep around 8:30, turned the key, heard a weird "thump" sound, smoke came out from under the hood, and nothing happened other than me jumping out worried about something being on fire.

The thump was one of the battery water covers being blown off into the hood and falling on the ground under the jeep. Battery is a Daimler Chrysler, possibly the original.

Jumped it off, drove it home, and the battery gauge read just over 14 like everything was normal.

Turned it off and it went completely dead again. Now, when I open the doors and the lights try to come on, the speedo/tach needle dance around like they're possessed (the jeep is black, after all).

So, jeep guru's, wtf is wrong with my Jeep?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC