|09-16-2009 01:46 PM|
|mudslinger150||theres always next time|
|09-16-2009 01:43 PM|
|09-16-2009 01:39 PM|
|mudslinger150||just guy a big pack of AA batterys at BJ's or Costco and wire them all together, that the cheapest way.|
|09-16-2009 01:06 PM|
Ok, couldn't get a Die Hard Platinum in my town, and couldn't justify the price of the Carquest AGM with the same specs as O'Reilly, so I got the O'Reilly Super Start Extreme AGM. 3 year full replacement, 7 year total warranty, 785 CCA, dual terminal. Felt like it was the best deal of what I could find in my small town, and really didn't want the Jeep down for a week or longer.
Got the alternator checked and it's fine.
I know it wound up being just a battery, but it's the first time one's blown on me like that. I really appreciate the input from all, and the Geezer PM's.
|09-16-2009 10:25 AM|
|09-16-2009 10:04 AM|
I ran em in My miata's...but the battery was located in the trunk
|09-16-2009 09:57 AM|
I'll be glad to listen to any input suggesting against the AGM. It would save some money.
|09-16-2009 09:22 AM|
|09-16-2009 09:10 AM|
|MCDavis||Ok, battery's out and area is hosed down. Even cleaned the mud out of battery tray. Can't get a Die Hard Platinum in my small town, so I'm leaning towards a Carquest or O'Reilly AGM battery, if they're in stock.|
|09-16-2009 08:37 AM|
Yup, batteries explode from time to time. I know of a brand "voltphreaks" that have exploded in more than one Lotus.
trash it, and try again.
As you noticed, you can drive all day long on a dead (or no) battery. The ALternator keeps it running. But to start it you need a battery or someone to jump it, or if its a manual transmission you can use a small hill and push start it.
|09-16-2009 07:45 AM|
|HamiltonLJ||I had a battery explode on me once! It was Chevy though! The starter came loose and dropped down on the header and pow!|
|09-16-2009 07:39 AM|
|Mrmikeypoo||you can always pour a coke ( or pepsi or whatever) over the affected areas. The drink will neutralize the battery acid left. It is also a great way to keep the battery clean. A clean battery is a happy battery!|
|09-15-2009 10:52 PM|
|sublimemaze||spray some water on it from a hose pipe, hose down the batt. box area and you will be good to go. dont let acid sit on stuff, it will eat your wiring and/or electronics and if its sits for a long time, even your sheet metal body pannels itself. as for any insulation, its probobly synthetic or fiberglass based, so its not going to kill it. If its organic based like a wood fiber type stuff it might eat it up some. Like i said just hose it off good with water.|
|09-15-2009 10:50 PM|
|09-15-2009 10:04 PM|
|MCDavis||sublime, will a small amount of the acid hurt the hood insulation where the cap hit it?|
|09-15-2009 09:59 PM|
|sublimemaze||sounds like you detonated a little bubble of hydrogen with some loose clamps or something. replace the battery, clean the clamps real well, and make sure they are real tight. if they wont tighten enough, you can lay them tall sideways on something hard and hammer the sides in a bit. I do it all the time at work when terminals are a little too loose. Youd be suprised the crazy symptoms loose battery terminals and wires can cause.|
|09-15-2009 09:38 PM|
|jpdocdave||all my years i've never heard of a battery doing that. definately change that original battery, if the battery is fried, bad cell or something you can cause further damage to starter and/or alternator by continuing to jump it and try it. hopefully thats all it is. make sure the ground is good, and the clamps are good and tight on the new battery, clean the corrosion.|
|09-15-2009 09:31 PM|
Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird...
Got in the jeep around 8:30, turned the key, heard a weird "thump" sound, smoke came out from under the hood, and nothing happened other than me jumping out worried about something being on fire.
The thump was one of the battery water covers being blown off into the hood and falling on the ground under the jeep. Battery is a Daimler Chrysler, possibly the original.
Jumped it off, drove it home, and the battery gauge read just over 14 like everything was normal.
Turned it off and it went completely dead again. Now, when I open the doors and the lights try to come on, the speedo/tach needle dance around like they're possessed (the jeep is black, after all).
So, jeep guru's, wtf is wrong with my Jeep?