Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum > Door doesn't line up

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Door doesn't line up Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
10-01-2013 12:46 AM
ChasUGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yes, loosen the three bolts on the door-side of the hinge. Don't touch the bolts on the tub side of the hinge. 6 bolts total, two hinges. Yep you'll likely have some bare metal showing but if you want your doors lined up properly, that's the price. A little dab of touchup paint from the dealer will take care of that.

Hah yeah I hear you, those bolts can sometimes be a royal PITA to loosen or remove. Sometimes heat is needed to loosen them up. They were fairly easily loosened on my first TJ but they were a PITA on my present TJ.
Thanks much for the info.
09-30-2013 08:15 PM
Jerry Bransford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
Are you talking about the three bolts on the outside of the door, where the hinge connects?

I was afraid to move that because I assumed that they were painted over, and the bare metal would show if I moved them.
Yes, loosen the three bolts on the door-side of the hinge. Don't touch the bolts on the tub side of the hinge. 6 bolts total, two hinges. Yep you'll likely have some bare metal showing but if you want your doors lined up properly, that's the price. A little dab of touchup paint from the dealer will take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
Did you say "simply" loosen??
Hah yeah I hear you, those bolts can sometimes be a royal PITA to loosen or remove. Sometimes heat is needed to loosen them up. They were fairly easily loosened on my first TJ but they were a PITA on my present TJ.
09-30-2013 06:26 PM
1jeeplvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.
Did you say "simply" loosen??
09-30-2013 05:47 PM
ChasUGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body)
Are you talking about the three bolts on the outside of the door, where the hinge connects?

I was afraid to move that because I assumed that they were painted over, and the bare metal would show if I moved them.
09-30-2013 05:40 PM
ChasUGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.
Thanks for the info. The reason I assumed it was difficult is because the dealership didn't get it right, even after I had them replace the weatherstripping under warranty, and they told me that they had adjusted my door alignment. It still destroys a corner of the weatherstripping and the dealership basically refused to replace it again.

When I first got my Jeep from them, it didn't have this problem. But, after I had them put the light bar on it, after a couple of months of owning it, it had that problem, and it chewed up my weatherstripping. It looks like someone actually tried to rip my door panel off with their hands, because the metal has tears on both top corners inside the door. Or, maybe they replaced my door with another one that was damaged, but was the exact same color. Its hard to figure out how this slight alignment problem happened because my door is totally undamaged, disregarding those tears.
09-30-2013 03:49 PM
Roadblock i have this problem as well, need to look into it and try aligning
09-29-2013 11:40 AM
Jerry Bransford The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.
09-29-2013 11:30 AM
ChasUGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac7373 View Post
Why wouldn't the door line up?
This is why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac7373 View Post
The hard top and full doors that came on it were not original.
Therefore, they have to be properly aligned. This is normally done by the factory. It is always a bear afterwards, much like you are finding out now.
Take it to a Body Shop and get friendly, they may give you some clues. I'm still working on that part myself, with my body shop. I have a very slight door alignment problem caused by the dealership that eats a corner of my weatherstripping. I've had it for 16 years now.
09-29-2013 11:10 AM
TMac7373
Door doesn't line up

Hey, after 13 years I finally got back into a wrangler. I just bought a 98 6cyl 5 speed. I'm eager to put a lot of work into it. The hard top and full doors that came on it were not original. The passenger door has washers on the hinge to make it line up with the latch. Why wouldn't the door line up? anyone know where I can maybe get spacers that won't fall off when I remove the door? everything looks ok, doesn't look like it was in an accident. Also not sure why the bolt above the door is sheared off. anyone have a guess?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC