|10-04-2013 03:04 PM|
Maybe ya better remove the Battery completely and use your Coke or Soda solution to clean and neutralize the Accumulated acid there so it doesn't eat up the battery shelf.
And while your at it, spray some soap around all that area and get the wiring and surrounding area clean, hose it off.....
Good thing ya found that bad cable Now rather then miles from home in the brush....
|10-04-2013 01:06 PM|
Buy a can of Coke.
Pour half on battery terminal. Fill remaining half of can with rum. Don't pour on terminal....instead...pour down throat.
|10-04-2013 11:05 AM|
Probably not overcharging. But you can check that easily. If it was the acid would be coming from the battery caps. If it's dry there that's not the problem.
Check it with a volt/ohm meter across the terminals. 14.1 volts with the engine running.
The problem typically comes from a leak around the battery post. You can't really fix that with felt pads, but you might make it a little better.
New cables would be best and not just a new clamp on end because they corrode easily.
|10-04-2013 10:41 AM|
|grizzstang||I just spray off the top of the battery (every so often) when I wash the Jeep to keep it from looking like that. When the factory battery is toast it will be getting a better battery, probably an AGM battery like an Odyssey, then that won't happen anymore.|
|10-04-2013 09:01 AM|
I use the battery terminal spray, it keeps it clean.
You can have your alternator checked at most auto parts stores for free.
|10-04-2013 08:57 AM|
So I stopped at the parts store on the way home and picked up felt pads, even if it would be a stop gap. I soaked them with the anti-corrosion spray I use on my boat engine.
When I cleaned the corrosion with baking soda and water...as I poured it on, the foam turned turquoise. The positive cable came off battery by hand
When I got the bulk of the snow off, I realized that the bottom half of the positive's clamp-connector was gone. (I looks like it's made out of a single sheet of metal folded in such a way that in cross section it looks like an I-beam that is bent around creating an upper ring and a lower ring).
SO I definitely need to replace it, but still need to find the issue. No visible cracks around the terminal post, but the acid is coming from somewhere. The battery is under warranty so should be able to exchange it.
I did replace the alternator last year with a used/salvaged part..so definitely worth checking that out.
|10-03-2013 10:53 PM|
|scottmphoto||A can of coke will clean that up too.|
|10-03-2013 07:54 PM|
|10-03-2013 07:49 PM|
|Gregj107||I use a thin coat of vaseline on the battery terminals. Excess vaseline will melt off the terminals, but then it leaves a nice thin coat. Does attract a little dirt thought, but I clean them every six months|
|10-03-2013 06:12 PM|
|10-03-2013 01:14 PM|
Thanks guys! Someone suggested it may be the alternator overcharging the battery....is that a possibility?
I will get on the clean up and felts! thanks again!
|10-03-2013 12:01 PM|
Most likely the positive cable was over tightened and it broke the seal. What you are seeing is battery acid reacting with the metal on the terminal.
You can clean it with water mixed with baking soda and a wire brush. Also wear gloves.
It will come back and you will have to clean it as part of regular maintenance. This is very common and won't have much affect on the battery but you will need to also keep an eye on the water level in the battery and refill with distilled water as necessary.
|10-03-2013 11:55 AM|
Clean that off with some baking soda and go to the local auto parts store and buy a set of treated felt pads that fit over the posts and under the battery cable clamps....
That will take care of it....
Put a little baking soda in and water in a can or jar and soak that battery cable clamp, make sure it's clean..
Cause is not opening the hood often enough and keeping the Battery posts cleanEvery battery will do this, it's a chemical thing, but once you put the neutralizing felt pads on, that will go away..... "BH"
|10-03-2013 11:24 AM|
Fuzzy Battery Terminal?
WTH would cause this? Humidity?
Only on the pos terminal...the battery is less one year old.