Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum > Electrical problem after lift install....

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Electrical problem after lift install.... Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
12-25-2009 03:04 PM
kdukes4 i took out the battery and will have it tested tomorrow. on a more positive or progressive not, i checked the alternator again, this time i also checked the ground wire that runs into the fuse box within the engine bay. i hit that wire a couple times with the saw and I spliced through the wire and into the cable, which is where the spark must have come from. i visually inspected the fuses in the compartment and they all looked fine, but i'm going to run them on the multimeter when i get a change tonight or tomorrow. where to go from there we'll see.
12-25-2009 06:32 AM
Kilroy
Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by notuck View Post
Sounds like the spark you got might have destroyed the voltage regulator. That can cause the charging system to over charge and cause the types of battery issues you are describing. As it over charges it will boil the battery and cause pressure to build up inside. Be careful as this can cause the battery to rupture and spew acid all over the engine compartment. Trust me you dont want that to happen. Also be careful breathing any of the fumes coming from the battery.
This gas is also very explosive. Get the caps off and let the area air out before you do aanything that could create a spark. The battery can explode and send acid and sharp pieces everywhere!
12-24-2009 09:48 PM
kdukes4 i'm having a hard time believing that the regulator would go with just a spark off of the alternator... if there's a bad ground then this could be causing the battery problems right? i went through and did an inspection on the grounds and they all seemed snug to me... how many grounds are there? if i remember correctly i found one that mounts onto the passenger side frame, then one strap that goes from the engine onto the upper firewall right in the center of the engine bay, and then another ground strap that attaches onto the hood. maybe i can find something tomorrow... code 41, open/shorted circuit, is there a ground in the pcm that i missed?
12-24-2009 07:39 PM
kdukes4 just checked out my FSM and "VOLTAGE REGULATOR The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component. It is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The EVR is not serviced separately. If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced." can i pick up any used regulator and PCM from a junkyard? or does it have to be for a '97 2.5L ? Sorry to sound like an idiot on this subject.
12-24-2009 04:44 PM
banjodog same thing happened to my honda CBR600, voltage regulator buggered up, over charged the battery, battery 'popped' and started leaking, replace the regulator THEN replace the battery, HONDA=BAD REGULATORS!!!
12-24-2009 03:59 PM
kdukes4 ya thats gotta be it! theres sulfuric acid around the caps! i got a little on my hands and its started burning! crap soooo what now?
12-24-2009 03:46 PM
notuck Sounds like the spark you got might have destroyed the voltage regulator. That can cause the charging system to over charge and cause the types of battery issues you are describing. As it over charges it will boil the battery and cause pressure to build up inside. Be careful as this can cause the battery to rupture and spew acid all over the engine compartment. Trust me you dont want that to happen. Also be careful breathing any of the fumes coming from the battery.
12-24-2009 03:37 PM
kdukes4 about code 46, i noticed while i was out there checking the wires that the battery was leaking???? the caps on the battery sounded like they were about to explode... i've never heard this before, its an energizer max 680 battery. could this be something about code 46?
12-24-2009 03:16 PM
kdukes4 ah i just went and ran a check engine troubleshoot and got codes 41 and 46

41 An open or shorted condition in the generator field control circuit.

46 Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation.


ummm how do i go about fixing these?
12-24-2009 03:12 PM
kdukes4 ya i just checked the fuses and they all look fine.
12-24-2009 02:43 PM
abw0004 You might have shorted something out. Did you check all the electrical aspects of it?
12-24-2009 02:30 PM
kdukes4 i'm thinking that i just unplugged something while i was pushing the tub up? i'm going out to check all my connections....
12-24-2009 02:20 PM
kdukes4
Electrical problem after lift install....

hey all, best wishes to everyone in this holiday season!

so i just installed my 1"BL and jks MML, i went and started her up and i'm having some electrical issues.... when i start the engine, after 10 seconds, the gauges as well as the odometer on my cluster fail. no engine check light comes on. i checked the grounds and everything looks solid... i'm wondering what could have happened during the install?


maybe its a 97 2.5L thing, but my alternator was very close to the passenger side motor mount and i couldn't remove the bolt out in that direction. so i decided to cut the bolt instead of removing the motor block or the alternator, while i was cutting the bolt, i did hit the alternator once, and there was a spark. after that i disconnected the negative battery post and then cut the rest of the bolt off. could that have done something? thanks all!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC