Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum > installed lights and battery died overnight

Join Wrangler Forum Today

Thread: installed lights and battery died overnight Reply to Thread
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-01-2010 06:55 PM
s3nt3nc3d If you used a relay and you wired the coil up to the battery so it's always energized except when the lights are on (ie wired the main load to the normally closed pin/wired it up backwards), it may have drained the battery that way...not sure how much of a drain the relay coil has on a car battery though.
01-01-2010 06:42 PM
Dremin2flyhi If you just used the switch to control the main voltage to the lamps--that switch will not last long.. 200 Watts at 12 Volts is 16.666 amps.. Now if you used the switch to control relay switching -- it should be less than 2 amps normally--as the relay handles the load and not the switch. Always a general rule of thumb for electrical wiring is use hardware ( wiring, switches,etc) that is 25% above the load rating. If the lights where not on --I dont see why the battery would be dead--unless the switch failed during the nite and the lights came on drained the battery. Not sure what other circuit you may have tapped into draw the voltage from.
01-01-2010 05:32 PM
Atthehop Did you wire them up with relays?
01-01-2010 04:51 PM
installed lights and battery died overnight

one of my friends suggested it could be a bad switch i installed, i used a 15a switch to run 2 100w lights, could this be a reason my battery died?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC. is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC