Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Trail Talk and Land Use Forums > Land Use Forum > Opinions Wanted

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Opinions Wanted Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
01-25-2012 11:49 AM
anamorph
Keep it Clean!!!

I think it was just beautiful. So many Jeeps, minus the Hummer and a Cherokee or two. but I have to agree with the others. Please don't hurt the little fishes!
01-06-2012 12:26 PM
Beastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosRiver View Post
I can tell you why they love this type of video:
  • The silt and sediment that the wheels stir up will hurt the fishies and other animals that depend on the stream.
  • The tires stirring up the streambed will cause erosion and deepen the stream.
  • The water washing agaist the stream banks causes bank erosion and would widen the stream.
A good storm would do the same thing.

I see no problem.
01-06-2012 12:16 PM
Tread Lightly Oh, and hey Geoff...!

(this is Justin, formerly of STT fame )
01-06-2012 12:15 PM
Tread Lightly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthiker View Post
The only possible thing is where that last Jeep Wrangler stopped and then accelerated hard. But nothing really wrong. I hike/backpack and I have a Jeep. There has to be a balance in this world. Sure, you can't destroy everything, but you should be able to use it. Many naturalists (read: tree huggers) will always fuss about others destroying nature. I imagine that's how the Indians felt as they watched the wagon trains move across the west and leave ruts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
Tread Lightly policies would suggest that you NOT drive down a river bed, just like they tell us not to drive through meadows. BUT, it depends on the location. There's at least a couple of official trails here in Colorado that cross rivers where you need to go downstream a bit. (one cool trail makes you drive down the creek for about a 100 yards. It confused me the first time, thinking I had missed the trail on the other side).

There are a few trails in Northern Idaho where the rivers are so dead from mining that the Jeep clubs use them legally.
These guys hit it.

ASSUMING that this is a legal trail, which may include the short stint up the streambed (which looks fairly rocky, making for a fairly sustainable surface), I don't see much wrong with it. Most of the travel was at a controlled speed, not much wheelspin, and no major splashing. Maybe a little more spacing out, but other than that... I don't see much.


As far as public perception... There will always be things taken out of context. If its questionable, it may not be a wise thing to post on a public forum without a clear explanation, but even then, the details may get lost as things get spread.
01-05-2012 11:17 PM
BadMojo Think of it this way...how much did an adult T-Rex weigh? Several times what a Jeep weighs, and T-Rexes used the streams all the time. Now I can see a complaint in the form of oil possibly washing into the stream as the Jeeps go through...but then oil in the stream...oil comes from dinosaurs...T-Rexes used the streams...oil from the T-Rex washed off into the stream, we are still here. People need to get some perspective.
12-21-2011 02:01 PM
I8up Good To go...No issues with that.
05-27-2011 08:40 AM
Bohrya Is it just me or was the Hummer Blingin'? I see people take 4x4 trucks and put $1k rims and all sort of after-market crap that renders them "useless" off-road cause they might scratch/dent/break them...so I give this guy props to take his out of the parking lot and onto a trail.

That being said, still a shit vehicle.

As for the debate of what's wrong with this picture...the numbers is all...the rest is here-say. This is a trail (very end of the video follows the last Jeep up a bank that is clearly a path made by more then the 17 vehicles going before it), there is a defined raised area in the middle of the brook that twists and turns right up to the bank (as seen in the video). The last bit of tire spin wasn't done for show (guy would have yelled or something if he was...watch any tire spinning vid and you'd know), so what prob just trying to get traction after his stop. No one in the vid was acting like idiots (except the Hummer, but we all expected that). So in the end this video is just some friends having good clean fun, not trailblazing, or ruining the environment.

Problem is Eco-Nerds will always turn something like this into propaganda. Does anyone here know the % of greenhouse gases that are caused by cars in the U.S.? Give you a hint, less then 20. Does that stop legislation from being drawn up to crackdown on car emissions? Not at all. Tree-huggers care less about the facts and more about what makes them feel good. I'm all about preserving the natural beauty but that factory that built your Prius causes more pollution everyday then every car in my family does in a year!
05-26-2011 11:57 PM
JeepJKRiders Not wise to wheel in streams. But the biggest problem I see, is that ugly mall crawlin hummer.
05-24-2011 10:30 AM
Schmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne View Post
Obviously the folks in the video weren't worried about them, either. Yet the reason it was posted here in the first place was because it WAS being circulated on Jeep-hostile websites.
Good for them . . . I've yet to see you or anyone else claim intimate knowledge of the area, stream, etc so for all we know, they were on the designated path and doing nothing wrong. At a certain point you may come to realize that the eco-nuts hate what we do regardless of how we do it. If they didn't cross a stream, then they put dust into the air, ran over a endangered weed, or some other evilness . . . they don't want you out there period. So this video is being circulated on Jeep-hostile websites . . . great . . . at least it's not something worse. Personally I'd rather have a video like this on the Green Police sites where a level headed viewer might think to themselves, what's wrong with that like many have done here, vs. the other videos floating around that show beer guzzling morons tearing everything up.
05-17-2011 07:12 PM
JoAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
Well good for you. How the green police are going to twist or interpret my actions doesn't rank too high on my list of worries.
Yah, duh.

Obviously the folks in the video weren't worried about them, either. Yet the reason it was posted here in the first place was because it WAS being circulated on Jeep-hostile websites.
05-17-2011 03:20 PM
crafty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Nothing wrong with the video by itself.. looks like a nice place to wheel. As stated the other side will point to sediment, wash along the shore line etc etc.. which without data is worthless. Water issues are one of the main reason's Tellico was shut down. However, the data used was much like the global warming data. False and misleading.
Can't resist posting on this Tellico statement, interesting thing that happened later---this area is being logged now

Here is a similar confusing thing, some of the forest roads in Florida have washouts in the middle of the road that ORVs can get tickets for being in saying it is destroying government property. However the forest service can take huge graters and smooth out washouts taking down trees in the process.
05-16-2011 01:00 PM
sevenservices ...the only thing I see out of place is the hummer in the center of the group. I understand though, the safest position is with jeeps in the front, and jeeps in the back. Then he's not worried about getting stuck!
05-16-2011 12:28 PM
Schmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne View Post
Yes, I am worried about green police. I have seen multiple livelihoods destroyed and lives wrecked by them, as has anyone who is paying attention.
Well good for you. How the green police are going to twist or interpret my actions doesn't rank too high on my list of worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne View Post
They do not care what the actual location of the video was--or whether it is a spawning stream or completely dead stream biologically.
Exactly my point, regardless of the facts these eco-nuts (and you) will jump to the same conclusion . . . "It is clear they are not fording this stream, so that only leaves two other explanations--these riders are either really stupid or they're evil." For all you or likeminded tree hugging hippies know, the trail was routed that way to avoid an endangered weed or roach.
05-15-2011 12:48 PM
JoAnne Yes, I am worried about green police. I have seen multiple livelihoods destroyed and lives wrecked by them, as has anyone who is paying attention.

And since you totally missed the point, "Schmo," I'll spell it out for you: Politicians get far more votes from "environmentalists" than from ORV park users. ORVers are the ones on the defensive politically--that's just a plain fact.

Any self-appointed environmentalist could potentially use this video to persuade politicians to shut down ANY ORV park.

They do not care what the actual location of the video was--or whether it is a spawning stream or completely dead stream biologically. The video shows a behavior wrt to the natural environment, which has evidentiary use for them.

That's why those who did this and filmed it were either stupid (they don't know this) or evil (they knew, but didn't care).
05-11-2011 07:52 PM
Schmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne View Post
This video is really disturbing. It is clear they are not fording this stream, so that only leaves two other explanations--these riders are either really stupid or they're evil. This kind of behavior will get the last ORV park shut down, and yes it makes a great anti-ORV propaganda film...see the little endangered salmon trying to spawn on the gravel, now see the big mean men with their jeeps...oh saints preserve us.

Whatever you say buddy. I am not the one trying to shut down ORV parks. I'm just saying there are green police out there, self-appointed or otherwise, and if people pull stunts like this they will get found out and parks shut down.
Are you familiar with this area, trail, stream, etc or do you just enjoy the state of being disturbed? As others have mentioned, unless you have intimate knowledge of the area, there is not enough data to determine whether their actions are wrong or not (outside of perhaps a bit of wheel spinning). Instead of considering all the options, you seem to jump to the same conclusion that the eco-nuts do . . . "either they're stupid or evil" . . . nicely done JoAnne! If you're that worried about the green police, I suggest you recycle that evil gas guzzling pollution spewing mother earth killing death machine and start riding a bicycle.
05-11-2011 06:48 PM
JoAnne Whatever you say buddy. I am not the one trying to shut down ORV parks. I'm just saying there are green police out there, self-appointed or otherwise, and if people pull stunts like this they will get found out and parks shut down.
05-10-2011 09:18 PM
Reaperonin Yea..
So someone touched earlier on Moderation.

That is the issue here I think.

That is just fine. Me and two buddies do that a few times a year. No hard feelings at all.

That was 20 jeeps though. Although an awesome squad to roll with.. lil bit excessive.


Honestly though, I have caused more natural destruction than that in a few short minutes with my jeep.. So I may be biased as to the negative ramifications lol..
03-21-2011 12:22 AM
millfire517 Eco hippies need to choke themselves!!!!!!!!!!
03-20-2011 11:34 PM
JoAnne This video is really disturbing. It is clear they are not fording this stream, so that only leaves two other explanations--these riders are either really stupid or they're evil. This kind of behavior will get the last ORV park shut down, and yes it makes a great anti-ORV propaganda film...see the little endangered salmon trying to spawn on the gravel, now see the big mean men with their jeeps...oh saints preserve us.
03-06-2010 01:10 PM
4Jeepn Nothing wrong with the video by itself.. looks like a nice place to wheel. As stated the other side will point to sediment, wash along the shore line etc etc.. which without data is worthless. Water issues are one of the main reason's Tellico was shut down. However, the data used was much like the global warming data. False and misleading.
03-06-2010 08:31 AM
denis4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj View Post
It's the whole Tread Lightly concept that we need to be thinking about. Stewardship towards the outdoors and this one and only earth we have. Here in the west so many OHV roads have been closed and more closing everyday. Sure it's fun to drive down a stream but what about the silt kicked up and the grease & oils off motors, transmissions, and running gear that gets deposited into the water.
Remember the Range Rover ad back in the '80's, "We brake for fish"? The headline and photo became the poster for anti-OHV groups nation wide. It also was the final push to form a pro-OHV advocacy group that ended up being TREAD LIGHTLY!. FOUR WHEELER covered one of our 4x4 Tours and refused to take pictures of Jeeps crossing Hermosa Creek throwing up rooster tails as those prompted angry letters to the magazine from the eco-nazis.
03-04-2010 04:18 PM
whiteyj It's the whole Tread Lightly concept that we need to be thinking about. Stewardship towards the outdoors and this one and only earth we have. Here in the west so many OHV roads have been closed and more closing everyday. Sure it's fun to drive down a stream but what about the silt kicked up and the grease & oils off motors, transmissions, and running gear that gets deposited into the water.
03-04-2010 04:02 PM
Schmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pur View Post
The only thing that offended me was the Hummer truck with two jackasses sticking out of the window and sunroof with cameras. It just looked like something a limo full of girls would do on the way to prom.
LOL!!!


Usually it is better to cross straight across to limit the impact to the stream, but like others have mentioned some trails may require a bit of up or down stream travel, in which case, I wouldn't be concerned as long as they are staying on the designated trail. Based on the number of them and how just about everyone up until the last couple of JAs, made their way thru slow and smooth like they should, I would expect that what 95% of them did was just fine . . . just could have gone without the last couple of guys at the end . . . and yeah the prom night hummer!
03-04-2010 03:41 PM
G-Pur The only thing that offended me was the Hummer truck with two jackasses sticking out of the window and sunroof with cameras. It just looked like something a limo full of girls would do on the way to prom.
03-04-2010 03:23 PM
Stefan It seems like that's a private area or designated...I mean considering the number of drivers and the fact that all the undesignated spots around my area are under 24hr surveilance by 5-0...I'm rather sure it's a legal spot.
03-04-2010 03:20 PM
Geoff@Bestop Tread Lightly policies would suggest that you NOT drive down a river bed, just like they tell us not to drive through meadows. BUT, it depends on the location. There's at least a couple of official trails here in Colorado that cross rivers where you need to go downstream a bit. (one cool trail makes you drive down the creek for about a 100 yards. It confused me the first time, thinking I had missed the trail on the other side).

There are a few trails in Northern Idaho where the rivers are so dead from mining that the Jeep clubs use them legally.
03-04-2010 03:18 PM
AzTJ If that stream/creek is not on private property or a designated trail, then what they are doing is considered Trail Blazing, which is why a lot of area get shut down to all OHV. it may be fun and seem harmless, but it's the grander scale of it that needs to be looked at.
03-04-2010 03:08 PM
Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsrubicon View Post
looks like fun IMO, if u listen closely they stopped and were talking u can hear one person yell from one car to another, doesnt look like they bothered anyhting and his tires spun for a fraction of a second, people need to relax, the earth has been here for millions of years and its gonna be here millions of years after we're gone. people just dont like to see other people having fun.
x2 on that one man, we can't hurt the earth...it's as old as dirt
03-04-2010 03:04 PM
Samsrubicon looks like fun IMO, if u listen closely they stopped and were talking u can hear one person yell from one car to another, doesnt look like they bothered anyhting and his tires spun for a fraction of a second, people need to relax, the earth has been here for millions of years and its gonna be here millions of years after we're gone. people just dont like to see other people having fun.
03-04-2010 02:58 PM
Stefan I mean, I don't really see too much of anything wrong with it.

But those 2 guys at the end seemed kinda like idiots for spinnin for no reason
that screws up the gears in the diffs and loses traction...they shoulda started up slower

but the environment can deal with that sorta thing every so often...

There's no such thing as saving the earth...what the hippies should say is, "save our habitat so we can continue to survive". We CANNOT hurt the earth...only ourselves.

Example: Put a rock next to a person...see who survives the longest.
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC